It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What to do ??
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

OK here is a interesting one i would like to think of my self as a responsible breeder, i had a very nice couple looking for their first breeding queen i had nothing suitable available at the time but invited them over to meet the kittens before they all went to their new homes, I said to them if i can be of any help feel free to get me involved my only advice was to take their time and do there homework they have since been in contact very pleased with there new purchase i have only seen photo's of said kitten that they have payed pet price for but with full breeding rights in my humble opinion this kitten is only of pet quality and should not of been sold as a breeder to a couple that are just starting out in the breed with very little experience, what do i do??

Thanks Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:39 am 
The Boss

Tricky one Paddy!

Without naming prefixes.....Do you know of the breeder who sold the kitten and are they affilated to any of the main clubs?

If so maybe contact them directly and find out their side of the story, At the moment it sounds like you only have the new owners word for it that they have the correct paperwork for an active queen!

I can't see any reputable breeder selling a girl on the active for pet prices....But I do know BYB breeders will tell you anything to sell a kitten.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd definately take the softly, softly catchy monkey approach! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hiya Paddy,

are the new owners happy with their kitten ?
I have heard of breeders selling to pet buyers who are thinking of breeding. The breeder tells them they can pay pet price now and then if they decide later they would like to breed they can pay the extra towards putting the cat on the active register.
I personally won't do this because I think they could breed with it anyway without paying the extra money.

Bit of a nuisance though that someone has sold one so cheap and on the active. I just hope they didn't buy from someone who is breeding from cats they've bought on the none active register :shock:

I don't think there's a lot you can say, but what a shame they bought from someone who didn't sell them a kitten of breed quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think they were happy with her and felt they had got a bit of a bargain and asked my opinion i was as polite as i could be and didn't show how mad i was inside. The owner tells me the kitten is GCCF registered i asked them to get a copy of the pedigree from the breeder but it has not happened yet.

We will have to wait and see the whole thing just seems a shame

Paddy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Paddy,

might be a blessing then that they've only paid pet price for her. I wouldn't like the thought of paying £1000 or more for a kitten with no papers :evil:

I hope they do get the pedigree and transfer slip for her.

What a shame they didn't ask your advice on who to buy from and what to ask for when searching for one for breeding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I read this thread earlier, so when I saw this online today, I thought I'd share:

http://www.gotpetsonline.com/cgi-bin/Ew ... d_id=52996

GAH!

Some people will do anything to make a buck. :x

I'm not sure what you can do in your given situation, and it is sad that it happened at all. If I were going to breed, I wouldn't be concerned about making such a "great deal" - I'd be more concerned with the quality of the cat. :?