It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Phantom ALC bloodline
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:36 pm 
Senior Bengal

Okay...I'm new to bengals, so I'm still learning a lot. But I can't, for the life of me, find an explanation of what the phantom ALC bloodline is. Can anybody here please educate me?! :wink: I know that ALC means asian leopard cat...but what is the phantom ALC?

Thanks!
Trisha

Post subject: Phantom ALC bloodline
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Phantom is the name of the ALC used to found a line of cats. Phantom was bred to existing Bengals to produce the F1 generation. The females only are fertile, so they would have been mated to Bengal males to produce F2's to produce more females mated to Bengals to produce F3s etc. etc. up to perhaps 7th, 8th, 9th generation, after the 4th generation they are then called Bengals, and that line of Bengals would be called the Phantom line. They all have a common ancestor, Phantom, in their pedigrees.

There are numerous ALC lines eg the Abu, the Kabuki, the Baghara/Sergura Khan, the Taro line, so the Phantom line is just one of those. Virtually all Bengal cats go back to the ALC Centerwall if you go back far enough.

ALC's can be quite different in appearance so breeders have gone for different lines, as each can exhibit different traits and pass on differing genes to their offspring.

HTH
Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:48 am 
Senior Bengal

Thanks Elsa! I knew that when someone answered the question, it would have been something anyone with some common sense should have been able to figure out. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Glad, I could be of some help.
Bengals can be confusing, but they are a very fascinating and interesting subject.
:)