It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,

We've had our kitten Raffy for three months now and he's just over six months old. He's absolutely perfect, very inquisitive and friendly, and slowly getting used to the idea of being fussed over. He's had the snip and just stopped sulking at us over it.

However, he was brought up with two other cats and we get the impression that he misses a bit of feline company. We would like another Bengal, but we're unsure how to proceed. With the all the toys, cat towers and the soon-to-be-built outdoor run we don't really want to spend a lot of money on a new kitten, as lovely as that would be. So we've been looking at the possibility of rehoming a Bengal or taking on a retired queen/older kitten. I've noticed that most rehome and retired cats are offered on the condition that they are the only cat in the household. What is the reason for this? And are there any other issues or thoughts you might have on getting an older second cat? To be honest, if the advice is save up and get a new baby, I'm sure we could!

Many thanks for any advice.
Michael

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Michael,

yes I think it's a great idea to get one from a Bengal Rescue. Here is a link to one of them http://www.bengalcatrescue.org.uk/

Breeders sometimes offer ex breeding females to single cat homes because they like their own space and can be dominent over younger cats. They are not all like that though. We have a couple of females that will happily be with another young kitten/cat and always up for a play.

Retired stud boys are happy for company too. A breeder wll just ask for a nominal fee to cover the cats neuter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into it then.