It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengals and Heights
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:05 pm 
Bengal Cat

Having looked at a few websites and browsed a few books, and from what i can gather bengals obviously exhibit certain characteristics. Also, from what i understand different cats have their own individual qwerks.

The reason for the post is that a lot of bengals show a liking for heights. Is this something that they display early on? or is it soemthing that they gradually get into? Or is it that some like heights and some dont?

All i know is that my bengal isnt really that fussed about climbing, infact i'd maybe even go so far as to say he doesn't really like them.

What are other people's experiences like on this?

Thanks

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:14 pm 
Hi Adam,

My boys both like being as high as they can get - they like to be shoulder level with us which can be tricky when they jump on our backs to get a better view - it's like having a very heavy parrot on your shoulder!

I've heard that it's quite common for Bengals to like sitting on top of open doors - but my two haven't tried that yet.....

It's all good fun though and I've never come across such entertaining cats - you will have great fun with yours, I'm sure!

Best wishes

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:46 pm 
Our two like sitting on top of doors, especially the female, but we try to discourage it - not that she listens :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

All FIVE of my Bengals LOVE heights. The higher the better. I think they would walk on the ceilings, if they could figure out HOW...

They all "lurk" on the tops of doors... but Zenith is the only one who has figured out how to leap -- at JUST the right moment, onto my shoulders, as I pass by an open door he's lurking on.

The others also prefer the tops of my curio cabinet, my kitchen cabinets, and the frame of the glass doors on my shower.

You can see these type behaviors on my blogspot. :)

http://fancidots.blogspot.com/

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:54 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Missy also loves heights, and it always seems like she can't get high enough either. She jumps on top of my tall bookcase, the high bathroom window, and on top of my stacked washer/dryer. In fact, she loves to hang out on top of that while the dryer's going, because it's so warm! She also likes to hang out on top of the shower door railing. Strange kitties!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:33 pm 
Bengal Cat

I have two Bengals, one of which will climb anything and everything, and prefers to be on the highest object in the room. I dont understand how they could ever get to the top of a door, but if it were possible I'm sure mine would try it.

My second one likes to climb, but isnt as interested in jumping on counters or scaling the refrigerator to get on top of the kitchen cabinets. Backs of chairs are fine with her.

And they dont use me as a lookout post or leap onto my shoulders. I'd have to break that habit in a hurry, their claws are too deadly!