It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all,
I have a problem which I'd really appreciate some advice on. I am moving from the US back to the UK this Christmas and am not able to take my 3 cats with me though I'd dearly love to.
One of my cats is a beautiful bengal named Java. We purchased him from a breeder in Bakersfield, California some 2 1/2 years ago. He was the runt of a litter which was already neglected. The breeders decided to take a 6 week vacation to Europe when Java was born, which meant that in the crutial first few weeks of his life he recieved barely any human contact. As a result he has always been very nervous around new people and always very skittish. He is loyal to my wife and I and cannot bare to be away from us. If we are out in the garden, he is on the windowsill howling for us. He's a beautiful boy - our baby and it will be heartbreaking to not take him with us.
He does not travel at all well. When we take him to the vet he has to be taken wrapped in a towel and put inside a pillow case because he will injure himself in a travel box and mess all over himself. As far as I am aware sedation for airplane travel is not allowed and I fear an 11 hour flight would be too traumatic. Even if sedation was allowed, it is now too late to begin the 6 months at home quarentine that would be nessasary for him to come.
Java needs a lot of understanding and attention, and I am at a loss as to when to find someone that can give this to him.
If anyone can offer any help or suggestions, please please speak up.
For Java's sake I cannot let him just go to a cattery/shelter and be adopted out to something who thinks "Wow, thats a gorgeous looking cat, I want him" but then who doesn't have the time or patience to give Java the time and love that he needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know how terribly difficult and painful this must be for you!
It WILL be an adjustment for Java, to go to "any" new home... and you are correct. He will need to have a home with someone who truly loves, understands and is willing to be patient.

I am on the "wrong side" of the country to be of much assistance, but I would suggest for you to contact Bengal Cat Rescue -- it is a nationwide rescue organization - comprized fully of VOLUNTEER area coordinators, foster parents and transport volunteers. NONE of the people in the network are "paid" -- so it might take a little time -- but could be a good resource for you.

My name is LaVon Fabian, and I am the area coordinator for the Deep South BCR region. (newly appointed - so my name hasn't made it on to the website, YET)

I am going to try to attach a link, to BCR, here... hopefully someone can help you, who is nearer.

http://www.geocities.com/bengalrescue/regions.html

UNFORTUNATELY, California is a heavy "rescue" area, and our volunteers are very "over-worked" there -- but I'm sure they will do whatever they can, to try to help you place Java.

I wish you good luck, and my prayers will be for Java to find a wonderful home.

Warmest,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:01 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thankyou so, so much Fancidots. Really thankyou. I'll write to them immediately and let you know how I get on.