[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Scammers
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scammers
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

HI
This is from "another site" and tells you exactly what they are upto and after.......your money!
we have had a couple of scammers and you can just tell.
bad english/context of sentence etc.

hope this explains all !
regards

FG :D

this is from the other site= kitten list all info on their front page
how it all works is to the bottom of the long list of scammers emails!

Please find information on this page regarding circulating online scams reported to us by our members. Visit this page regularly to keep up with the latest....
Members should be aware that online scams are global. They are not isolated to this site but can be found across the whole web. Whether you sell cats, matchsticks or paintings you are at risk if you are not vigilant.

Use the information below as a guide only. There will be other scams/email addresses circulating that we are unaware of and have not mentioned here!

Kittenlist staff do their utmost to clear kittenlist of rogue adverts. However, we cannot be in all places at all times and scammers change their email addresses daily. Although we regularly ban suspicious users from placing adverts it is difficult for us monitor the hundreds of enquiries made via our contact forms.. So, if you spot a scam - or receive any malicious emails via this site, report it to us...then we can put the details on here - and together we can beat them!

Keep safe

The Kittenlist Team

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE READ: The ‘cashiers cheque’ scam and how it functions

If anybody ever offers to send you a cheque for more than the value of your goods for heavens sake STOP! Would you give somebody a cheque of £5000 for something that only cost £50. NO YOU WOULD NOT…….

If anybody offers to send you a cheque for more than the value your goods it is probably the ‘cashiers cheque’ scam…

This particular online scam comes in all shapes and sizes and there is no point in us posting copies of each individual email because they change on a daily basis.

We have gathered information from all of the scam emails you have forwarded to us and have posted a help guide below..

Firstly, how does this scam work?

Simple….They contact you from anywhere on the web stating that they want to buy your ‘product.’ You are naturally enthusiastic and respond immediately – yippee, a sale! They come back and say they will pay for the goods with a cheque/bankers draft/cashiers cheque etc…..except, the cheque they have (for whatever reason they give) is for more than the value of your goods. What do they want you to do? They want you to put the big cheque (often for thousands of pounds) into your account and for you to deduct your monies and send them back the remainder. What’s wrong with that? Well, that big juicy cheque that you just put into your account is a fake – repeat…it is a fraudulent cheque. Yes, it will clear the initial stages at your local bank…and you think great! - I’ll send them the excess money (and or goods) – of course keeping back what is rightfully yours. Then 2 weeks later, 1 month later or even 6 months later you get a letter from the bank…That cheque you put into your account has been sent to the clearing house and has been found to be a fake. YOU have put a fraudulent cheque through YOUR bank, YOU have taken out the proceeds (to return to the scammers) and YOU are liable for those monies.

Points that may help you detect the scam early…

1) You are not being targeted because you are a cat breeder. The product you are selling is irrelevant...you could be selling cars, rubber rings or matchsticks. All this particular scam is designed to do is relieve you of your money. Some have been unfortunate enough to loose their product too.

2) The email content, email address and name of the sender is irrelevant. The email address is changed regularly, the name is fictitious and the email content may go as far as telling you that a relative is dying and they want the product (or cat) for them. They will spin all kinds of yarns. So forget the stories – irrelevant.

3) The originating country is irrelevant. This scam is global….Europe, Africa, US, Canada….Fraudulent individuals are using this scam all over the world.

So, with all that said. How can you detect it?

There are certain things you can look out for…

1) Bad English/grammar (not always a sign – but look out for it).
2) The product word ie ‘KITTEN’ or ‘BICYCLE’ etc may be inserted in the text in capitals (again not always a sign – but look out for it). It can be repeated often too.
3) When the words ‘Cashier’s Check’ or ‘shipping agent’ or ‘best price’ or ‘offering price’ and very similar phrases come in the email your alarm bells should be ringing.
4) Once contact has been made and you have unwittingly given your telephone number to them they may even phone you. NEVER disclose your home phone numbers to people you do not know!
5) When they suggest that they want to send a cheque for more than the value of your goods bombs should be going off everywhere!

If you are ever in doubt about an enquiry – delete it. Your gut instinct is usually right. If you can smell a rat it probably is one!

If you are unsure about a sale tell them you want a cheque only for the price of your cat (and ask for a strange amount ie £264.52 – tell them that it is an online anti fraud measure). If they are genuine they will not mind sending a cheque for that exact amount. Or better still - ask them to pay cash. If it is the scam you will probably never hear from them again – until the next round of course.

WHATEVER WAY – IF SOMEONE ONLINE OFFERS TO GIVE YOU A CHEQUE FOR MORE THAN THE VALUE OF YOUR CATS YOU HAVE 2 CHOICES….REPORT IT TO THE POLICE OR HIT THE DELETE BUTTON!

Examples of the cashier cheque scam first correspondance...

-----------------------------------------------
Example 1) From: Dr Anthony Lagrosa Message: Hello! I'm Dr Anthony Lagrosa,Professional Vernetary Doctor,and I want to make an enquiry on your place advert {puppy) and kindly let me know if it's still available for sale and the Honesty Present condition and PRICE and the picture if it's available and I'll be paying through UK BANK DRAFT. I reside in Brierley Hill,West Midlands UK and it's going to ship to West Africa and I will take care of shipping my self to West Africa. Do not hesitate to get back back to me asap.

Example 2) From: jill Message: Hello! I was searching the web when i came across your Email address,And the advert you place on the web for sale It's been some moons now that i have been looking for this kind of roduct,which am showing interest in it But i want to ask this question,Are you the owner?is it in good condition?,can you tell me more about it?and above all how much do you want to sell it and the last price you will be willing to sell it for me?MAIL ME BACK ASAP.try and send the information below.

Example 3) From: david tom Message: Hello, I am David Tom, I am located in Buckie (North East Scotland), so the shipping won't be any problem. However i did saw your advert on www.kittenlist.co.uk and I am highly interested in purchasing your pet to a good home, I will like to know your asking price and the present condition and the pictures, I am a serious buyer. Email me at anynameyoulike@yahoo.fr Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:52 pm 
I've removed the email and IP addresses from the above post - would prefer not to get the site involved in making accusations against people that we cannot prove.

I've left the details of the scam - as with anything, if something sounds too good to be true.... it normally is!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

WTF?
This is just bizarre. I take it they dont actually collect the kitten/object?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi

no they dont collect any thing apart from all the money that they would scam off you, as they would have all your contact details to send the heavies round to collect then you get all the bank charges on top of it all!
i only know so much as one of my aquaintances got done like this and had a visit after not responding to emails after she read about this and the banks donot know about it until it is too late. so you become liable for all repayment/charges down the line as they dissappear spending your cash!!
:evil: