It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Heavy clay litter
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ive been thinking of changing litter, and have read that the heavy clay kind
can be really dangerous, when the cats wash their paws it can clog in their
tums and make them really sick :shock: ......... is this true?
do any of you use clay? i need to get a litter that i don,t need to cange everday, and that i just poop scoop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:33 pm 
Have you considered litter pearls type litter? You can now get them over here now in Morrisons and other supermarkets - they are called Bob Martin Ultimate Odour Control. You only need to scoop out the poops daily, the pee's just evaporate somehow!

I've tried it in their cat run litter box and they do use it occasionally, but don't seem overly keen on it. Not sure if they would accept it in their main box in the house, in which they have World's Best Cat Litter.

Unfortunately, Bengals and cats in general are very fussy about litter changes :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:10 am 
The Boss

We've used allsorts!

I've never been a fan of the clay based litters, I've never seen one that controls the odour.....as they claim.

Worlds best is great...IF they like it that is!

I think cats prefer something heavier to scrat around in maybe, worlds best is so light compared to clay based or even pellet litters.....thats my theory anyways.

We've been using layer pellets for a few months now, which seem to be working suprisingly well. (so Heidi tells me :lol: )

No tracking, No nasty sweet smell, No problems if kittens eat any and it kind of clumps better too. The pellets don't expand that much and stay together instead of breaking-up unlike wood based pellets..... it just absorbs the pee and sticks itself together, drying to a tidy flat clump in just 5-10 minutes.

Much cleaner than anything else I've seen on the market, and a fraction of the price.

Our trays do get emptied (fully) and bleached every day though..... by the wonderful Heidi :wink: so worlds best/pearls is not an option for us really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:36 am 
The Boss

Gavin wrote:
the pee's just evaporate somehow!

:lol: A bit of class mate.....thats just tooOOO funny! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:20 am 
I started off with wood pellets because that's what my breeder used (and also we use them for the litter tray for our bunnies) but I didn't really like the smell and they do crumble into dust a lot. So we took the brave move of swapping to silica crystals without a crossover period (I didn't see how they would work properly if mixed with another litter) and my boys (bless 'em) adapted straight away! There is no smell and they do work really well, although I disagree with the wild claims on the bags that they can last up to a month. Still deciding whether it's too expensive an option though, although I've seen a bulk-purchase offer on the internet which works out quite cheaply.

What are layer pellets though? I don't think I've come across those!

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What are layer pellets? ive never heard of them before.
Ive tried the crystal kind before and Tia hated it, they really looked uncomfortable to stand on, big lumpy crystals compaired to smooth pellets, although she never left any suprise parcels laying around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:59 pm 
The Boss

Layer pellets are basically chicken feed.....You can get chick-crumb aswell which is similar to worlds best in looks, but its a bit more gritty to the touch.

Any animal feed mill will have it in stock.....if your in a city centre you might have probs finding one of them tho! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm still using the wood based litter that the kitties used at the breeders. It does need changing regularly and I particularly don't like the mess it makes (little dusty bengal pawprints all over the furniture!!! :shock: ).

I have not had one accident since the boys came home (but do change their litter every night as the three of them persist on using the same tray, despite their being another 2 on offer). I guess I'd love to change but would be really nervous they would 'go' elsewhere!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:59 am 
Hi Linda,

Well my boys are both really good and I only have one litter tray at the moment (until the building work has finished!). I was really brave and just switched to silica crystals without a cross-over period and it wasn't a problem at all. But perhaps I'm just lucky with my two?!

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Teresa,

Can you tell me a bit more about the crystal type - not sure I have seen it before. Assuming your 2 use it all day and night, how often does it need fully cleaned out? How much does it cost?

I'm buying 30 litres of wood based for approx nine quid and it seems to last just short of 2 weeks. So it is cheap but must admit its ineffectiveness at masking the smell is beginning to get me down a bit. I'm also worried what the house will smell like at night when we are all out during the day and no-one is around to scoop it frequently.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:26 pm 
Hi Linda,

I've found a couple of different brands like Pettex in pet shops but unfortunately my local supermarket stopped stocking it just after I'd found it there! I've just got a couple of bags of Bob Martin's gel litter from Asda but it look like this has been replaced by "ultimate odour control" litter in boxes. The bags were just under £3 for 3.8 litres but the boxes are over £4 for a bit more in volume.
It definitely cuts any smell a huge amount and I'd be reluctant to try anything else as my boys have adapted so easily.

However, the claims that a bag lasts a month are so far a bit exaggerated - I would say about 10 days - but remember that's between 2 cats.

I will be looking to buy further supplies online as it's been difficult to find a regular supplier - the best offer so far looks to be:

http://www.crystalclearpet.com/shop/cat ... te_buy.htm

Perhaps I'm very lucky with my boys that they are very tolerant with their litter - but it's worth a try if you are worried about smells (I am afraid it doesn't compensate for the infamous Bengal farts though of which my Bert is a notorious villain!!)

Hope that helps,

Regards

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Teresa, think I will give this a go when I run out of my current stock.

Loki and Lenny are particularly bad on the windy front (LOL)! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:43 am 
Linda wrote:
Loki and Lenny are particularly bad on the windy front (LOL)! :lol:

Our two are quite good at it too :oops: Don't think I've ever seen another type of cat do this, maybe it's Bengal speciality? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

changed to worlds best and im happy to say they like it, and so do i :D ,
i could only get a 34lb bag and found it to be expensive, i just hope it lasts as long as they say.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:52 pm 
NIKKI wrote:
changed to worlds best and im happy to say they like it, and so do i :D ,
i could only get a 34lb bag and found it to be expensive, i just hope it lasts as long as they say.

It doesn't unfortunately - not with Bengals anyway! They must have highly efficient waste systems :wink:

A 34lb bag lasts us about 4-6 weeks with 2 greedy Bengals....