[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Collars
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Collars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:41 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Do any of you collar your bengal(s)? Mine's going to be strictly indoors, unless we, one day, take him out to explore a bit, but will be strictly indoors nonetheless. The collar will basically be for me to 'hear' where he's at, maybe get a general idea of what he's getting into. What's a good collar brand? I've been browsing around for the breakaway collars, but I read a lot reviews of their pets somehow managing to tighten their collars and they'd have to be readjusted and checked almost on a daily basis, so I'd rather get some tried and true collars. :)

Post subject: Re: Collars
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:52 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi Nuri. I"m in the same boat. I ordered breakaway collars for Jagger on Amazon. I think it was a set of 3 for $6. They were nice and had a bell. Problem is that his neck is still too skinny and the smallest collars still dangle a bit, which drives him crazy. If it was the right size I think he'd be ok, but because it hangs down he tries to grab at it. I have to wait until he's a little bigger. He's only 5 lbs right now. Here"s the link if want to give it a try: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019O ... UTF8&psc=1
Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Collars are a pretty controversial issue amongst bengal owners.

Pro:
1. makes it possible to find small or reclusive cats around the house
2. you can put your contact info on the collar, making it much more likely your cat will be returned if he gets outside accidentally

Con:
1. Collars can get caught/snagged on things, potentially causing serious damage or even death (via strangulation). Break-away collars make it much less likely to happen, but it still happens.

If you are going to get a collar, make sure it's a good quality break-away one.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A collar with a bell is useles if the cat has found a cubby hole and is sleeping and not moving. And sometimes the cat can walk and the bell makes no noise at all. If you're worried, get a tracker on the collar and then you can find the kitty with bluetooth. However, collars should have your phone number on them in case the cat gets out. A too-loose collar presents a problem of getting caught on something and the poor cat is stuck. Some breakaway collars don't breakaway so easily. If you're overly worried about where your kitty might be in your home, shut off the rooms you don't want the kitty to have access to.

I've put collars on cats and they last less than 24 hours before they are off. So, mine don't wear collars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:57 pm 
Bengal Cat

Like Sherry my cats collars have never lasted more than 24 hours..and gave up trying when found one cat with back claws caught in the collar and totally freaking out.
I personally don't like them as it takes away the feline wild look that cats naturally have..collars are for dogs..lol.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I used to have my previous cats cats always wear collars with bells and tags on them all the time. One of them was a big-time flight risk as she loved the outdoors, even though she was only allowed in the fenced in backyard. But there were times that she got out, either from the yard, or from the front door (when someone visited and left the door open etc). Having the collars with bells were a HUGE help in such cases. In fact I think a couple of times I simply wouldn't have found her without the bell.

I'm also pretty skeptical of the microchips. Even assuming that they worked 100%, it's just such a huge ask to expect someone to see a lost cat, catch the cat, put her in a carrier, drive her to a vet/shelter, get the chip checked, and potentially drive her back. I'm sorry, but that's just not a very realistic scenario imo, except for the hardest core of cat lovers, who also have the time to do that. Very different proposition to see a cat, read the collar, and dial a cell phone. If my cats went outside, they'd definitely all be wearing collars with tags and bells.

Although my cats don't wear collars now, when Serafina and Gaga were kittens, I had them wearing collars with bells. BIG help! Really hard to keep track of the tiny kittens. They'd get into closets, cupboards, under cabinets and in all kinds of strange places that you'd never think to look. Plus just hearing the "tinkle tinkle" was re-assuring. It was when things went 100% silent that I'd start worrying.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You're right, Brian. However, I do think microchips work. The DSH I have had for several years was hanging round my house crying. I took him down the street to our vet and scanned for a chip and found his owner, who lived three blocks away. However, Legs refused to stay on her property as his twin brother would chase him off. I decided he could stay here with us. The neighbor moved a couple of years ago and she still comes and visits Legs. Raiden is microchipped as well and that's how I found out where he lived. The owner gave him to me six years ago. If you're an animal lover and they seem to radiate to you, you can buy a microchip scanner.

Collars on cats is a personal preference. I just think it is important to have some type of identifying information -- written on collar or microchip so that your pet can be returned to you. Even a rabies tag can be traced.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:04 pm 
Bengal Cat

Jagger was chipped by the breeder when I got him. On his last trip to the vet i asked them to scan him and sure enough his number came up. My hope is that if he accidently got out and was found, they'd call animal control and I'd get him back. My intention for getting him to accept a collar, or really a harness, is so I can walk him. I know he'd love it once he got used to it because he always wants to be with us. He sits by the door when we go out. In a little over a month he became my shadow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:44 am 
Bengal Kitten

I do not yet own a Bengal but am looking. I have however owned 5 to 6 cats at a time. They have always been indoor/outdoor. However on my roamers i forgone the collar for a tracking collar. its larger but the cat will adjust. If your cat is primarily indoor and you are sure it wont bolt as soon as the door is opened. I would say whats the sense in any collar it will just be uncomfortable and unnecessary. However it is an option I thought I would throw out there.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It would be great if they could create a microchip tracker, but the radio signal from a chip isn't very far. In fact, it's just inches. I don't know if they will ever create an implantable GPS chip. The GPS trackers are quite large and cumbersome on cats. The bluetooth trackers have a limited range of 100 to 200 feet and you or your cat have to come within that range to track your cat. Buildings and walls can block a signal. They are better than nothing, but still not 100% effective.