[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - elderly bengal health questions
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My dusty was born in feburary of I think 2000, I could contact TICA which I no the year not the month. He started loosin bowel control so I took him to 2 vets they both said renal failure. He started loosing weight I have tried everything, I love him so much. I tried every food I could even prescription. I tried probiotics, slippery elm. Everyone wants me to stop and accept he is old. Its hard because he still purrs. I was wondering any suggestions??? Also how old do they live, dusty will be 18 in feb. Before anyone yells at me, and says I need to put him down, realize he is family, I have had him since a baby. I protected and loved him in return he has become one of my children. He has never know anger or abuse, now I feel like I am neglecting him I cant let him roam free, he used every inch of my home as a scratching post, I took him fishing with me. He has never been away from me. We waited to remodel just to accomadate him because he hated change. so any advice would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

No one is going to yell at you. You love Dusty with all your heart and don't want to think about life without him. Times like these are so hard and your heart breaks knowing that you have to carry the burden of choosing the time to let him go.
If he is still eating and responding you may have a little more time with him. Your love for him will not allow you see him suffer. Dusty will let you know when it is time. You need to have the strength to listen to him when that time comes.
Thinking of you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would never ridicule someone for struggling with the end of life decision between them and a loved cat. I’ve been there and it’s brutal. All I can suggest is make it about him as much as you can. If you believe the right thing for him is to try some different things and hang in there a while with him, then do that. In Jackson Galaxy’s book “Cat Daddy” Jackson explained how he handled the situation, which was to make a promise to his cat “Benny” and to be attentive to him and when Benny indicated that it was time, that he’d respect that and take care of it immediately, but not until Benny essentially told him that.

As far as you question about longevity, 17 years is a really good long run. You’ve obviously looked after him really well, and also been fortunate as far as health.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:10 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thankyou, I ask this on another forum and they were quite mean. I guess I should not assume. I do apologize. I do and yes I did he has never been outside unattended, if he sneezed we were at the vets lol. Its so hard for us because he is family.
I remember the day he came to us. My husband was a truck driver he was in Tennessee a lady broadcasted she was selling kittens, she did not expect her cat to deliver so quickly. he went over to her truck. She had 20 kittens in one litter box. Dusty climbed up his leg and sat on his shoulder. He gave the lady 250.00 for him and brought him home. He was so tiny and sickly. He had something cats get from a dirty litter box. I spent a lot of time at the vets. But he was quick to recover. That lady called me several month later and wanted him back apparently all the kittens in that litter passed, I told her absolutely not. He has ruled our home for since 2000. He is and was a amazing part of our family, I feel helpless I can not help him, he has chronic Diaherra from renal failure. He throws up most of what he eats. But I pet him he purrs and I play he plays, I am heart broken.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:38 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thankyou for your response I appreciate it, But yes, He 2 years ago he was in first stage renal failure, the vet said 6 months max. I had him to two vets they both ran tests the second one tried to insert a needle in to his kidney but could not. She said it would give her more detailed information. I freaked out. I have had him tested for everything. Even parasites. Diabetes. I had him on renal prescription food, it made his diaherra worse, I have tried a lot of different brands with a wean on process. I ordered brands I do not have access to here. I even tried the raw food diet, I ordered it. I tried prednisone, slippery elm, antibiotics, Imodium, Probiotics. if anyone has a idea I have not tried I would really appreciate it. I guess coming to terms with the inevitable is the toughest part of having a pet. I get so upset at people who adopt then get rid of, any animal. Or neglect they are like little babies, family.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:45 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I would like to also apologize for the comment don't yell at me, I get defensive because I have been told and people have yelled at me to put him down, when I ask on other groups. the responses I received have been very kind thank you

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. I know you are struggling with the fact your baby is an elderly cat. The average life span for a bengal is 12 to 15 years, so Dusty has beaten those odds. I've had a cat in renal failure (she was 17 years old) and it was very difficult to watch her health deteriorate, although she NEVER had loose stools. If Dusty is in true renal failure, I'm surprised the vet did not recommend subq fluids. I administered them for months on my kitty to help flush the kidneys. Unfortunately, it only prolongs the life as there is nothing that can be medically done when the kidneys or any organ in a cat begins to fail, especially in a cat that is almost 18 years old..

There will come a time when Dusty will tell you it's time to let go. It is the most heart-wrenching, painful decision one can ever make and I can assure you we have all been there, so we know what you are going through. In the mean time, do your best to make Dusty comfortable. Continue giving Dusty the greatest love and realize that Dusty has lived a very long life. We never want to say goodbye to our pets, so cherish each and every moment you have with him.

I am going to recommend you feed Dusty the foods he will eat since getting food in his system is what he really needs. At this point, it really doesn't matter. You want to keep him as strong as possible.

And know that we are here for you -- any time. Good luck.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:19 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you so much :)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Such a heart breaking decision to have to make. I'm so sorry.

Also just wanted to dispel the myth that cats only purr when they are happy. They also purr to try to soothe themselves and will often do so when they are in discomfort. Not saying this is your cat, but a lot of people think a purring cat is a happy cat.

Good luck, such tough times <3

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:37 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I did not no that, I thought he was happy. thank you

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Dusty may indeed be purring because he is happy. We don't know. If he is behaving normally, eating, drinking, using the litter box, engaging in play, then he is okay -- as okay as one can be in kidney failure. I am not one to rush to judgment to end a pet's life. There will come a time when he will slow down, stop eating, drinking, miss the litterbox and his face will seem unhappy. In the meantime, your vet should continue to monitor him and should be able to answer any questions you have. Good luck! Dusty may have many more months of life in him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for all your responses, Sherry you said something that made me realize its time. He misses his box. He messes on himself then I have to clean him and he is not happy. He is used to roaming my home he ruled the roost, he is my sweet baby and my heart breaks when he cries to be out of the cage. I cant let him out he has no bowel control. I love him so much the thought of letting go breaks my heart but its time, I set the apt for Friday at 11 am, God give me the strength to do this, its selfish of me to keep him here. Thank you all for your words. I wish I had joined this forum when my dusty was younger.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so very sorry! I truly am. I understand the anguish you are going through right now. A very difficult decision, but based on the information in your last post, it is obvious that Dusty is just not a happy cat any more. You should never have to leave a cat in a crate. A neighbor had a cat who could not control his bowels and they had to euthanize him. I don't know if I should be happy or sad that my post gave you insight.

We want our pets to live forever, but they cannot! And their life span is nowhere near a human. I know your heart is heavy and Friday looms ahead. You must know in your heart that you are doing the right thing for Dusty or you would not have set up the appointment. I don't want to think of the day I have to make a decision for my bengal. I've had to make decision for a few of my cats. I know it was the right thing at the right time.

But for every cat I've lost, another one has taken its place at some point, so know that your future may include another special kitty.

{{{HUGS}}} for you! Will be thinking of you on Friday and praying you have strength to see this through.

We are here for you if you need anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:12 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I appreciate your insight, I could not have made the decision on my own. You helped me do what in my heart needs done, thank you again.