It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:05 pm 
Bengal Cat

My kitten is going to be 13 weeks old, any advices to help me leash train her?
She's already comfortable to walk, and run with harness on.
Seems repelling from wearing harness, but once it get it on, she's ok with it(norm? Or should I wait till she's not backing up when I put the harness on)

Already did some research, some opinions or effective steps I can take would be helpful

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I take y 10-year old bengal out for two walks a day. The first thing is to make sure she is 100% comfortable wearing the harness. You should try walking with her around your home (attaching the leash, of course). Sometimes they get used to things right away. The thing here is that your baby is still young and small. And the outside world may seem enormous to her. When you decide to venture outside, carry her and place her down just outside your door. Let her take things in. She may want to run back in -- and if she does, you can try this again, but don't push her. It can take some time .. so be patient. Eventually, she will want to explore the sights and smells of the outside world. My bengal and I walk about 8 blocks each walk. I suggest you take a towel with you in case she decides she just wants to sit -- and you might want to try that in the beginning. Put her on the towel and sit down with her. The other reason for a towel is to snap it at any loose dog that may approach. Just know that ..... once a cat gets a taste of the outside world -- they constantly seem to want to go outside. You may have to provide her with multiple walks.

Another option to allowing her outside safely is to get a portable enclosure or even build something. You can google online and see pictures of massive structures, or just a little ledge outside a window. My bengal has a large enclosure as well.