It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:02 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all,

I have a beautiful 1 year old male snow bengal, Oscar. He's very true to the breed, active, loud and follows me wherever I go.

In the past couple of months I've noticed that he has got a lot more aggressive. Is this normal at his age?

I have read that getting him a friend will distract him. Is this a good idea? Would it have to be another Bengal?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would suggest working on the aggression long before thinking about bringing another cat into his territory, otherwise I don't think that you will be reducing the number of problems you have.

I take it he is neutered and that you play with him to the point of exhaustion ( his, not yours ) each day ?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:09 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yeah, he has been neutered.

I play with him constantly, but he never seems to tire!

Recently as soon as I turn the lights out at night, he goes for my feet and if I'm sitting on the couch, he goes for my head!

He has always been pretty boisterous, but this behaviour is new!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It could be many things, but it sounds like a more serious version of what I have been going through with Babbage in recent weeks - he has it in his head that he needs to be "top dog" in the house. Partly, I suspect because when he and his sister were in the cattery at the start of Dec she handled things better and his dominant position over her has been eroded.

This manifests as him either ( gently ) trying to mouth my feet - hold my foot in his mouth or when that fails, jumping on me and wrapping his claws legs around my limbs and again gently biting me. Always this happens in prime territory that used to belong to him - my lap on an evening when I am sat on the sofa*. He has never hurt me during these episodes, but he needs to learn that he isn't and won't become the boss of the house.

* Ada always used to defer to Babbage about ownership of my lap - if he was settled she would never come up, now she comes up regardless. Babbage will come up, lick her face, then try and stand over or sit on her - not too subtle with his messages - "we're friends, but this is MY spot".

The steps that I take are:

1. Show plenty of love/give cuddles outside of the site of contention.

2. Whenever he comes on my lap make a fuss and stroke him, so that he understands he is welcome. I also call him over to me on an evening.

3. When there are signs he is going to do something gentle discouragement, lowered voice, ease him away from the situation. This *may* help, often not as he has, at this point, the need to dominate.

4. When he uses his mouth on me/jumps on me put my hand on the top of his head to tell him to stop or hold him down/by the scruff of the neck. All gentle, but firm.

5. Put him out of the room for 20 minutes.

As likely as not, when he comes back in the room he'll come on my lap and turn turtle - on his back with all 4 legs in the air, looking to get tummy rubs. He is, by nature, a very sweet cat.

My cats don't sleep with me - Ada used to get a bit too hunty in the small hours of the night - but it sounds like in your case the bed and the sofa are prime territory and need to be contested. His age might be a bit of an issue, in that in the wild he'd have his own territory by now, but he needs to know that he is loved, but 2nd on the list of people who are important in the house.

I hope some of the above is useful to you - good luck and keep us informed of how you get on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. Cranberry is correct. Deal with this aggression first or a new kitty may bear the brunt of the aggression next. Bengals are like no other cat, as you have discovered. Your baby is still considered a kitten. My bengal goes for my feet under the covers first thing in the morning and he is 9 years old. The key to containing aggression is to train the cat to understand the word "no." Make sure you have toys or treats to distract the kitty. Never let your hands/feet/head become toys. Invest in some interactive toys. You'll need lots of wand toys, too. Bengals especially love prey. You just don't want to be that prey. You need at least one tall cat tree.

Male bengals are highly territorial. Adding another bengal, even down the road, could be a challenge.