[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Adopting an older bengal
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Adopting an older bengal
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have been looking around for a cat to adopt lately, and think I might have found one.

This little guy is around 7 years old and seemed to exhibit a lot of their typical behavior. I believe he is probably a mix, however if I was looking for a purebred I would be looking at 10 times the price tag.

I have always been a fan of adoption, and ultimately plan on getting a kitten in the future, however this cat seems hard to pass up after visiting with him.

Does anyone have any tips on taking in older cats to their home, particularity when they exhibit bengal traits? The only other "pets" I have is a smaller fish tank, and I definitely would need to create a fewer high places for him to climb.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The cost for an older bengal would be a lot less. Based on the photos you have provided, this cat is a bengal. I took in my bengal when he was 6 years old. He adjusted very well in my home (he is the only pet). My only issue was that his previous owner allowed him to roam free for the first six years of this cat's life, so now I'm taking him out for walks daily and we built a large cat enclosure on our deck so he can enjoy the outdoors. An older bengal will still be playful and have tons of energy. Definitely they need places to climb -- cat tree, shelves, stack cubes up against the wall. They needs beds, toys, the whole gamut and they need a human who will interact with them all the time. Bengals are social and demand attention. Naturally, if this bengal isn't already a lap cat, you won't be able to create that in him. Older kitties need homes as well, so bless you for wanting to take this gorgeous boy into your heart and home.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If you are looking for a bengal, he's a real find, I think you hit the jackpot with him.

Adult bengals can be challenging cats. They are worth the challenge, but challenging nontheless. They are big strong cats, so when it comes to getting them to do something they don't want to do (take a pill, or get in the carrier, or take a bath etc.) that can be pretty challenging. Also they are pretty needy. Needing attention, needing things to be "just right" around the house, the kind of food they want etc. And they can also be kind of domineering, in terms of other pets (if you were to consider adding a future pet). They also have really loud voices, so if you share walls with neighbors you should consider that carefully. Your mileage may vary of course, but those are some of the challenges. Catification and interactive play are definitely musts with bengals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I adopted a 6yr old rescue neutered male bengal. Be prepared to be very patient in your expectations. Bengals need lots of attention and time spent with them. My boy Oscar was not his real self for at least six months. He peed, sprayed and was slightly aggressive. It was just as he was very, very insecure. I worked with a behaviourist and over a year on I can honestly say he is the most affectionate, wonderful, cuddly cat ever. Have lots of beds and high cat trees, litter trays upstairs and downstairs to avert accidents. I like putting a bed for Oscar in every room so he kind of owns all the space in the house. He knows he can go in any room and chill in a nice bed. Time, love and patience is all you need really. Toys, treats and play are of course mandatory!!!!! The pictures look like a stunning pure bred bengal to me. Good luck and hope you are very happy together

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:21 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I have adopted 2 bengals now. Charlie we adopted at age 7, he was an absolute beauty and we loved him dearly. He was with us for 18 months and sadly passed away from cancer. We were absolutely devastated when we lost Charlie. Eventually we felt ready for another puddy cat to join us. We considered homing two Bengal kittens from a local breeder but were bold over when we saw a picture of a 5 year old Bengal rescue cat and couldn't resist. Trigger has been with us for 16 months now and can be feisty at times, but with that comes a very loving, naughty attention seeker. He follows me everywhere and if he can't find me in the house he hollers at the top of his lungs. He is worth every little hissy fit he throws and I wouldn't be without my little boy now !
I wish I knew more about his background. I only know we are the 4th home he has had, but most definitely his last !
I defo agree with previous post, they take time to adjust and settle. They outwardly seem to be at ease the moment they come to your home, it's only when they begin to trust you that you see their real personalities (naughtiness and all). I wouldn't think twice about adopting a Bengal. I have had cats all my life but I couldn't not have a Bengal in my home now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's gorgeous!

I adopted a 5 year old male stud bengal, who had just been neutered. He's turning 8 this year and he's a charmer.
It took him a while to settle in. I had him in his own safe room and I worked at his pace. Never forced him to do anything he wasn't comfortable with. I would sit in there and read a book out loud or talk to him, so he would get used to me. I never approached him, I waited until he approached me. In the scheme of things, it didn't take that long and it was SO worth it. He's the most affectionate idiot ever.

So yes, do it, as long as you're prepared to put in a little extra work and have patience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:55 pm 
Woah! He looks almost identical to my boy Link. What a gorgeous cat!!! Definitely looks purebred to me.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:50 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have been offered a 3 year old Bengal that has just been operated a week ago. The breeder wan't to breed her but she had kisses so can't keep her.
Not sure if i should take her yet or wait till she is healed from surgery ? The price she is asking is only for the vet costs.
She breeds only that breed and i did go to her home and she is well set up and it's very clean and well organized.
She mentioned being registered with TICA but i couldn't find her listed on their web site, so not sure what to do.
But the cat is super nice. Sorry i don't have a good photo to show. She posted one but used a flash so the eyes are semi-closed. In person way better than expected from the photo.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing the operation was to spay the kitty. I believe only the first week is really crucial and she should be healing well from the surgery. If you want the kitty, by all means, take the kitty. She needs a good, loving home. Just be patient as it can take time for an adult kitty to adjust to a new environment and new people. In order to find TICA registered catteries, it takes more research than what you can find listed there. Those listings are "paid" listings. Somewhere there is a pdf file of all their registered breeders. I find it every now and then and then can't remember how I found it.

How well this kitty settles in will depend a lot on how she was treated at the breeders. Was she in the home and part of the family. She would be very well socialized. If she was kept away ... that could be an issue. It is wonderful that you have visited the breeder and actually seen this kitty. If you feel the price is right and the kitty is a good match for you, grab her up. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:20 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds as if the breeder has not properly socialized the kittens. If you have any hesitation on getting this kitty, do not get the kitty! Know that most cats do not enjoy car rides and, in fact, should not be allowed to be in a vehicle without being contained in a carrier. Also know that many cats, when taken outdoors, do not want to stay in a specific location and play. They want to wander around a little bit.

That being said ... you obviously want an affectionate, loving cat. I suggest you keep looking until you find the perfect match for you.

By the way, the listing of TICA registered catteries can be found here:

http://tica.org/pdf/cattery/cattery.pdf