It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pedigree....Linebreeding
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Suri's 5 generation TICA papers finally came in the mail today! My excitement to see the pedigree quickly turned into surprise...shock... and because Ive previously bred numerous pedigreed animals.... a bit of disgust.

Suri is SO linebred!! Like....BAD. Its the same cats just bred over and over and over to each others offspring!!! What?! I know that linebreeding is pretty typical in the pedigree world of ALL animals (Ive had AKC labs, ARBA rabbits, ADGA goats, even horses with linebreeding in their papers....but not by MY doing), but this is just....wow.

Is heavy linebreeding pretty common in the bengal world? Is it predominantly done just to lock in certain traits such as colors, coat patterns, personality, etc....or is it just sheer stupidity? I cant believe that Suri's breeder, who has around 80 cats, allowed this to happen. Its not like hes lacking in the genetic department. I guess I dont know much about cat genetics.

Hopefully the attached image is legible.....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ok, I guess there was no need to freak out. After a little reading its apparently quite common in cats, especially pedigreed cats and quite typical qhen trying to bring out a dominant trait (such as rosettes). Sooooo, while I guess its not a decision I would personally make when breeding, its not a serious issue.

Whew. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's okay, Deputy! This is the reason for so many congenital defects in the bengal kittens. There was a very limited early gene pool -- which is the case when starting any pure breed. Most bengals are not far removed from the early generation cats. If you think it is bad in a 5-generation pedigree, wait until you get to the early generations. I'll try to print out your pedigree and give it a once over and see if I can start doing some research for you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yeah after reading serveral articles aboht pedigreed cats, Im not quite as concerened. As I stated, its not what I would personally do if I were a breeder...but I also believe in genetic variation.

Hopefully you can see the info in the pict, Sherry! I dont have a scanner, and thats the best photo I could get. I could try some better lighting and see if that helps if needed....

Im guessing Suri is probably an F8 or greater. Haha, I actually had a woman try to argue that there was no way Suri wasnt an F2 or F3 and that I didnt know what I was talking about etc. She would NOT listen at all, even when I told her I had a 5 generation pedigree in front of me without a single ACL named. Some people....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The copy is easier to read on my computer screen. I will work on it as I get some time. The key is how many missing kitties there may be in order to get a complete pedigree. It seem the fifth generation kitties are listed for the most part. I didn't realize you took a photograph. There are scanning programs for the phones, too. At any rate -- when I printed it out, the print was blurred and difficult to read with my old eyes. I have to be at the computer anyway and still have the pedigree open on my screen. Raiden's pedigree came black and white -- so maybe it's the background color throwing the print off. I've already seem a few of the cats that are in Raiden's pedigree, so seems that every bengal is related in some way.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here in a bit Ill try to get a clearer image for you. I received 3 copies of the pedigree from TICA....one is green and is laminated, the other 2 are white photocopies. I will try photographing one of the photocopies....

Really?! So Suri and Raiden share some of the same linegae?! Thats amazing!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Interesting that Helderbergcats are not in the database, period -- so starting with the first kitty, not going to be able to trace back one of the parents. This is going to take some time, so be patient. I love doing all of this, but it is extremely time consuming. However, if I can't research some of the missing cats and get their TICA numbers, there is no way to get Suri in the database unless all the previous cats are in there. And looks like I need at least a sixth generation. But ... there are a lot of cats online, so I'll just check each and every one. If all the cats were there -- I can produce a 15-generation pedigree with the push of a button.