[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Leukemia Vaccine
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Leukemia Vaccine
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:05 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello, I have an F2 Bengal that I recently got from a breeder. The breeder told me not to give her a leukemia vaccine, I told the hurse not to but She did not tell the doctor and the doctor gave her a leukemia vaccine. There was nothing I can do, it was too late, there is supposed to be a second vaccine in a few weeks but I said I do not want to give the bengal another leukemia vaccine. I am a little worried something might happen to the bengal because I have read so many mixed reviews on what the vaccine could do. Could I get some input from experienced early generation bengal owners?

Thank you

Post subject: Re: Leukemia Vaccine
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, there is a booster vaccine approximately three weeks after the initial vaccine. Raiden gets the vaccine because I take him outside and he sniffs and licks things out there and could contract it if not protected! Most veterinarians recommend the vaccine -- however, if your cat will NEVER EVER in a million years get outside, escape through an open door, crawl through an open window, then you're probably not going to need it. There was research done on the Asian Leopard cat on their resistance to contracting feline leukemia, however, it did not pass through onto the bengal breed. I have lost a cat to that disease -- it's heart wrenching to watch it take its toll very quickly and the end result is euthanasia. Know that there are mixed reviews on ALL the vaccines -- human and pet! For me, it's better to be safe than sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:17 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I spoke to my breeder and will not be getting the second vaccine. Since yesterday when he got the shot hes been sleeping and not moving. He is also limping on the leg the shot was given. Is this normal?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Many cats have reactions to the vaccine. They may be sleepy. Some of the vaccines "sting" and if it is given in the leg (which I'm not sure where it's actually given), there can be pain in the muscle -- just like when a human gets a shot. Just know the vaccine may not be effective without the booster! But, it's ultimately your decision. There is no law stating the vaccine must be given. Even if you end up taking your kitty out on walks on a harness and leash, she will tend to go in areas that other cats have frequented. That's not to say all the other cats have the virus, but ..... it can be possible to contract it through saliva. I'm sure the odds are small. You do what you think is best for your kitty.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

He has been limping on the back left leg which is thenone he was given a shot in. I am paranoid of the vaccine causing sarcoma so I have decided against it especially because he will be an indoor cat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can't worry about something that probably is to going to happen! You need to enjoy your kitty. If the limping has not gone away in 48 hours, I'd check back with the vet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:16 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I know of people who have had bengals that got saracoma from the leukemia vaccine so just knowing that it is slightly possible worried me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maxwell turned pink with an allergic reaction to all of them, so we've been holding off until we move to Seattle, since there is no real outside time here.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I did not get this vaccine for Suri. As per my breeder's contract, administering this vaccines voids my health contract. Apparently, a cat can test positive for feline leukemia afer recieving the vaccine, even if the cat is actually negative. The vet argued with me about the safety, but Im not going to do something that would void my breeder contract.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

DeputyMP24 I'm curious about what you said. The vaccine itself has a clear benefit. But it would seem your breeder's contract offers something better, since you are so concerned with voiding it. What does your breeder do if your cat becomes ill?

To the OP, I did not vaccinate my cats against FeLV when they were indoor cats, but I did just before I made them outdoor cats a few years on. They had no negative reaction to the vaccine. They are F8. What was the breeder's reasoning in telling you to avoid this vaccine? If she is telling customers to not vaccinate their EGs, then surely s/he has some good information to back this opinion up?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My breeder's contract also stipulated no leukemia vaccine. When I took Quasar to his well visit, I asked our vet about it. He says he doesn't give the leukemia vaccine unless it is specifically asked for. He said it has questionable value except among kittens who travel outside the house. He also said that, when he gives the vaccine, he does a blood draw first to be sure the cat isn't already positive for the disease. I've never really questioned it, to be honest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, I AM concerned with breaching my breeder's contract. Its a shitty thing to do to someone. If someone purchases a kitten under a contract with stipulations such as "kitten MUST be spayed by -blank- date" or "administration of the feline leukemia vaccine voids this health contract" then that contract should be followed. As I stated, according to my vet the vaccine can cause a positive test in a cat that is actually negative. It can also lead to cancer. Just because a vaccine exists doesnt necessarily mean its good or is mandatory for health purposes. I am truly not concerned about my kitten contracting FeLV. Shes an only pet and is strictly indoors.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It must be a personal thing with the breeder! I don't know if Raiden's contract stated that -- I know it did state that Raiden never be allowed outside without supervision. It's one thing if your kitty will NEVER go outside. When my 17-year old kitty was in renal failure and had diabetes, the vet wouldn't administer any of the vaccines for the last couple of years. He said it was pointless since she did not go outside -- she didn't even get the rabies vaccine which is required by law here. I was asked by the vet if I wanted to get the FeLV vaccine for Raiden. I explained that he was walked outside on a leash and she informed me that any type of other infected cat's fluids (including saliva) may be on a bush that Raiden licks as well -- he could contract the disease. Know that once they contract the disease, it takes its toll very quickly, thus you can usually tell because a cat will lose weight and just waste away. Raiden has never had a reaction to any of the vaccines. There are pros and cons all over the web and you will get extremely confused!!! So you go with what you vet recommends and what you feel in your heart. Maybe if Raiden NEVER went outside, it would be one thing. We see other outdoor kitties on our walks, there's always a chance for attack! I just don't know. He gets the vaccines because I want him to have them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

DeputyMP24 As I said, I didn't vaccinate either. I'm enquiring about what your health contract actually is. I'm having trouble understanding why a breeder would state that their health clause is void after FeLV vaccine is given because I thought health clauses are only for a limited time when the kitten is very young and if found to be sick would allow a purchaser to have a new kitten or a refund. Did you just buy your cat, or do you have a lengthy health warranty?

Even an owner of an indoor cat might find value in the FeLV vaccine if their cat is an escape artist, or is walked outside on a harness. I don't think it's a breeders place to make this decision, which is why I'm surprised it is in contracts.

I could understand a clause saying the breeder wont refund for a positive diagnosis of FeLV after a vaccination, but not a voiding of the whole health contract, nor a dictation that the cat can't have it later in life!

Am I getting the wrong end of the stick here?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Remember....every breeder is different with different contracts. I imagine some breeders dont even offer a contract or health guarantee. I purchased my kitten in September. My breeder offers a one year health guarantee for his cats. My breeder did not specify as to WHY he has the no FeLV vaccine clause. Not only is it written in the contract, but he verbally advised as much as well. Clearly something happened that has left a negative impression with him. I didnt push the issue or ask why he was adamant about this because frankly I didnt care. Its not a vaccine I would have gotten anyway due to the questions surrounding its safety.