It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:43 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hello Everyone

I'm asking if anyone can give me some advice as I've looked through the threads and have looked for a similar situation but I cannot find anything that matches .

I currently have a gorgeous girl bengal that has been with us for 4 years nearly and she was 2 years when we got her from a breeder. She was a very nervous cat when we got her and it took her some time to settle in but she eventually felt comfortable with us and wanted to interact with us and she soon became a very loving cat who adores sleeping on my lap in the evenings and being petted.

She does have the freedom of going outside as well as we have a cat flap but she mainly stays within the garden and keeps her eyes out for any other cats passing by on the fence.

Right now I've given you a bit of a picture of my bengal I would really like to have a male bengal as well but I'm concerned at the same time of how she will react.
Any tips or pointers on how to introduce another bengal male? I'm unsure whether to get a kitten or a cat about 2 years old at the moment but would it make any difference if it was a kitten or older cat.

Thank you :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum. It's great that you're asking your question before acquiring another kitty. There are countless topics on here on introducing a new kitty. Many owners post their desperation in trying to get two cats to get along. It does not usually go well in the beginning. There is a proper and slow introduction process that needs to be met and even then, there will be hisses. It sounds as if your girl may not want another cat in her territory! Bengals are highly territorial. Two bengals each need their own space. I have no idea if your girl will accept a male kitten or male adult cat. What is your reason for wanting another cat? Is it for your female or for you? Personally, I am on the fence with this because I wouldn't want to "rock the boat" in getting another cat. Then again, I'm always happy when people open up their hearts and homes to more than one bengal.

Should you get another kitten/cat, that cat has to be kept in a safe room away from your other kitty. This is done for a couple of reasons! One being that a new environment is extremely stressful for a kitty (as you saw with your little girl). The kitty needs time to acclimate to new smells, new humans and it's better in a smaller area with a litter box, food, toys, bed. The other reason is to prevent the spread of any type of parasite or infectious disease either of the cats may have. It's common for new kitties to have diarrhea due to their stress. This doesn't mean your new kitty is locked away. You will have to spend time playing with the new kitty. Spend the days swapping scents. Find something each cat has laid on and swap it out for the other cat. Eventually, you can attempt feeding the cats together in the same general area. You can introduce them by playing with each of them with separate toys. Naturally, be aware of any aggression. They will be curious about each other and it's possible your female may want to make it known that she is not happy with the new arrival. We have had many successful endings here on the forum after owners desperately sought out information and support. It's wonderful you're thinking about this ahead of time, however, another cat brings two more litter boxes, more toys, more beds, perhaps another cat tree, double the vet bills, and having two kitties outside that you have to be concerned over. Males do tend to roam and can cover up to 5 miles (even neutered males). Truth be known, it is really a tough decision to add a cat and shouldn't be taken lightly. Integrating a new kitty will take time, patience -- lots of patience. Good luck with your decision.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:25 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Sherry

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I have been a member since 2007 when we got our very first Bengal cat so I did used to post quite a lot back then and then I drifted away lol
Anyway thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply to me and what you have said makes a lot of sense and I kinda presumed I would have to do things slowly, knowing how cats are so territorial and more so Bengal cats.
It's me that wants a boy bengal as I've only had girl cats, my first bengal was a girl who sadly died 4 years ago, so when we decided to get another cat we thought it best to stick to a girl, so we did.
I guess whats prompted me wanting another bengal is that my friend got a male kitten earlier this year and he's growing in to a gorgeous boy and his temperament is so different from the females, he's also very loving which I didn't think the males were.

I am in a bit of a turmoil wanting to fulfill my desires but also not wanting to upset my beautiful girl who has been with us for 4 years now and I'd hate to stress her out as she is a nervy cat, even with us sometimes and runs from strangers who come to our house.
Having said that she was a retired queen so she did live with other cats in the house for 2 years and she did get along with them but that was a long time ago now.

Anyway I will take on board your comments should I decide :wink:

Thanks again :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I guess I should have noticed your post count, but your name was new to me! My male bengal is not affectionate at all. He has the sweetest disposition, but he is not a lap cat and doesn't like to be picked up and held. This could stem from his earlier years with a male owner. Many cat owners open their hearts up to another kitty. It's just that you need to totally prepare yourself in advance. If things go smoothly, great, but many times they do not and it can take a couple of months to get things calmed down to where the kitties are sleeping side by side. You know your little girl better than anyone here. Your girl has the entire place as her territory and sharing that space may be difficult for her. Cats also do not like change -- and as long as you know this and can deal with helping both kitties adjust, things will go better. Every cat's personality is different. It's really a toss of a coin as to the type you'll get. Good luck!