[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Worried about Msukey. I think this is it sadly.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi there.

Muskey, my Burmese has an upper respiratory infection over a month ago which he made a miraculous recovery from. He put all his weight back on and was back to his old grumpy self and charging around everywhere like a kitten despite his old age. He's now 15.

The last couple of days he has been off his food and yesterday did not eat at all. He is drinking a lot (I mentioned this to the vet when we took him a month ago) and when I got up this morning to check on him he can hardly walk, is wobbling on his legs and looks very ill.

We have made appointment for an hours time but I really think this is it. I said that a month ago when he was ill but the symptoms he has are exactly the same as our other elderly Burmese we had to pts about a year or so ago.

I don't want this to drag out and when I spoke to the vet last month about him his thirst issues she said we could do bloods etc but given his age he probably has kidney disease and he is very old.

I got the impression she thought it was not in his interests to drag it out either.

Muskey HATES being handled and HATES to go to the vets. I am pretty sure this alone could make him ill so the idea of him going there and back all the time is out of the question.

Dh is taking him as my son is extremely upset so I am staying at home with him. My 12 year old adores him so it's going to be very tough.

I know I'm speaking like he's already gone but I really do think this is it.

Muskey is in his usual place, right next to me on a cushion looking very depressed and crying now and again. So sad :sad:

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

RIP Muskey :sad:

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Debbie, I'm so incredibly sorry to hear that. Thinking of you all and sending hugs ((())) xx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sad for you and your husband and son, Debbie. Losing a member of your family - human or furry is just devastating. 15 yrs is a long time to have Muskey as your very special friend. The decision to let Muskey go to his final rest cannot have been easy for you. Everyone on this forum understands what you will be going through today and and the months ahead. I expect this will also bring back the grief of losing Dexter too :cry: Thinking of you today and in the weeks to come and sending you all my love and hugs x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh Debbie, I am SO SO sorry! I know how difficult this is on you and your family! Muskey lived a long, long life. And he had and gave so much love. Find comfort in the fact that he's in a much better place now. It's so hard to get over the heartbreak of losing a pet. But, they do really tell us when the time is right to let them go. I hope you'll find it in your heart to accept another kitty when the time is right. Sending you prayers, love and {{{HUGS}}}.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie, I'm so sorry to hear about Muskey. It must be doubly difficult so soon after loosing Dexter. I hope there will be more fur babies for you to love and care for in the future. RIP Muskey.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wouldn't give up hope just yet. Your cat is not that old, and there are lots of things this could be. Earlier this summer I was really afraid I was going to lose Gaga, but she pulled through just fine, and at the same time taught me to not get overly pessimistic about such things.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you everyone.

The Vet told dh it was extremely likely to be kidney failure. He told dh that they could give him fluids but he advised against it as he was in such a sorry state.

The Vet injected him and dh said he closed his eyes and went to sleep. There was no struggle :sad:

I can't believe how quickly he went downhill, it was so sudden only a matter of a couple of days but maybe he has been very ill without us realising it although I have been so vigilant as I was determined if he got very ill we would not have him lingering and suffering.

I brought his water bowl into the living room as I was worried he was thirsty as he couldn't get to it and he didn't even have the energy to drink. He just put his head in the bowl so I helped him.

I could tell he wanted to go. There's that haunted look a cat can give you. Also when I put his carrier out he went straight into it without the usual struggle.

My 12 year old has asked me to contact the Cat Protection League (the one in Newbury) as he wants a kitten, so I've just done this. To be honest my heart isn't in it at the moment as all I want is Muskey back.

I keep thinking "oh I haven't fed him" or expecting to see him sitting next to me and I can't face going into to the kitchen to see his dishes although I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Thank you for all your kind words it really helps.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I lost my old cat Harry on a Saturday and my girls asked to go to Newbury cats protection on the Sunday as they needed to be near cats and give them the love they could no longer give Harry. I said I would wait outside as I did not think I could face going in. I explained to the kind staff there that it was just too soon and they were so understanding. I did go and see the cats in the end and it does your heart good when grieving to just be with the cats. I had a good bawl when in there - luckily we were the only visitors so no one wondered who the unhinged sobbing woman was. It is so difficult to lose a cat and have an empty house. No cat or kitten will ever replace Dexter or Muskey in your heart but it helped me so much to have another cat to love and feed. Hugs x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We had to put a kitty to sleep due to feline leukemia. My niece and I were just heartbroken. My hubby asked what he could do to make us feel better and I said, "adopt another cat." We did just that. We also named her Kitty and she looked just like the other one (tabby). It did seem to help ease the hurt to have another kitty to love on. It's especially hard on the children who really don't understand the concept of life and death just yet. Our 9-year old niece was living with us at the time and I felt it was important to her. It really did make a huge difference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks again :)

Spent the whole weekend in floods of tears. Taxi picked ds up to take to school and I must have looked a fright :eek:

I have been in contact with CPL in my area. The first one said they didn't have any kittens and that I was in the most difficult time period to find one as kitten season runs from April to September here.

I telephoned another a bit further away and they told me it wasn't kitten season and they should be able to find me something so a little confused.

They said it may take about 3 days so guess I just have to sit and be patient!

The vast majority of their kittens they will insist on outdoor access which is bothering me but I guess I'll just have to agree to. I was also given the second degree which I was expecting:

Do you live near a busy road?
How many children do you have?
Do you have any other pets?
etc etc etc.

When they asked about my son I didn't mention his autism as I was worried they would have preconceived ideas and not realise what a complete and utter soppy and affectionate boy he is.

I know they do a home check which is absolutely fine but I read somewhere that if you have children they want to meet them too :rolleyes:

Not a problem as he will come across as his lovely self but do find it all a tad annoying I must admit.

We can offer a fantastic home environment for this little guy but if they start to make it too difficult we'll have to take ourselves off elsewhere unfortunately.

Debbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Debbie, you could always adopt an older kitty! Thankfully, kitten season is over until spring. You can always agree to the outdoor thing, but keep the kitty inside! I still think they have their heads on backwards. Hang in there and keep looking. You'll find the perfect kitty. It sounds as if cats are a comfort to your son and very important to him, so I would really try to find something soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry Debbie. *HUGS*

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:52 am 
Senior Bengal

Oh Debbie, I'm so sorry...I didn't know what happened with Muskey until I just happened to see your changed signature in another post, and my heart fell on the floor. You gave Muskey a lifetime of love and he lived a good long life. He knew you loved him.

RIP Muskey.

Orion ~ Light Gold Black Rosetted Bengal, born 5/19/15
Apollo ~ Tuxedo Marbled Tabby, born 1/7/12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry to hear about Muskey, Debbie. It always breaks my heart when I hear of someone else's loss, as it reminds me of my boys and girls who have gone before me. Your babies will be at Rainbow Bridge playing happily together, along with my little ones, waiting for the days we are all reunited.
RIP Muskey xxxx

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.