It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, I'm new to the forum. Until very recently I had three cats. Due to bereavements, I now only have one. He's a twelve year old neutered Bengal boy. He's never lived on his own before, he came straight to a multi-cat household from his litter at four months old. Since his companions have gone he has become a lot more needy, wanting a lot more attention and being more vocal.

Do you think the increased affection is because he's finally relaxing/feeling more confident because he has the house and us to himself now, or is it because he is lonely and missing his buddies? Should I get another Bengal to keep him company (I work 3 days a week), or is he enjoying being an only cat now? He's generally a little bit anxious and has inflammatory bowel disease and a stress-related eye condition (both of which are worse at the moment), so I want to do the right thing by him. It feels like he's grieving. I know I am.

I know Bengals like company, but the other threads I have read recommend getting two at the same time, which I can't do for him. One of his previous companions was a younger Bengal boy, who he initially resented, but after the settling in period, he spent a significant amount of time playing and snuggling up with my other boy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all welcome to the forum! I am so very sorry for the recent losses of your kitties. There are a lot of things that should be considered before you add another kitty to your household. First of all, your current kitty is a senior -- or getting closer to being a senior. Adding a young kitten would probably stress out your older kitty. Kittens want to play, your older kitty probably does not have the energy to keep up with a youngster! So .... I would opt for an older kitty.

Then, there is always the chance that your older kitty isn't about to accept a newbie into the household. Introducing a new cat takes time, patience, and there is a proper way to doing it, which takes weeks. A new cat could stress out your current kitty. Sometimes we are quick to think our cats are bored! That may not be the case. You have the time to spend with your kitty, play with him when he needs the stimulation.

The bengal bond is great. Previously, your kitty had the other kitties. Now that the kitties are gone, you are the bond for your bengal. Enjoy it!!! I'm sure he is grieving the loss of his buddies, just as you are. If you feel his stress is affecting his health, think what adding a new kitty might do. I don't know the order in which your kitties originally arrived or how you integrated them all into your family. If that went well, you may have the circumstances to give this kitty a new friend.

It's really your decision. You know your household and your kitty better than anyone here. Hopefully others will weigh in with their opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with sherry, if it were me I would not get another cat, he will bond with you and it will be wonderful, I only have one bengal and our bond is really special

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you both so much for replying. My current Kitty is the middle cat, he was fine when he was the new cat, but when I got the third it was the first time I had heard him growl in his life - so I suspect I didn't do it as skillfully as I could have. We had a bad six months (the new one pooing everywhere), and then things were fine from then on (after the younger cat was neutered). From then on they were a proper trio, all curled up together at every opportunity, but with occasional growling and power play/mounting.

I have to say that I am really enjoying the extra attention he has been giving me and the fact that we are closer. I had a baby last year, and then my elder cat needed a lot of care several times a day for six months before she died, so I have been a lot less available to him than I would like. It is like we have had the space to rediscover each other, if that doesn't sound too soppy. He has the perfect temperament for my daughter, he's never bitten or scratched a person, he's very friendly and just seems to know how to stay out of her way. I think he will be a great companion for her too as she gets older, and even though she's only 18 months she knows what his biscuits are and she will take them to him, it's really sweet.

I think the way we are might be best, thank you for giving me thinking space.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds to me like you have the perfect one-cat situation right now. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You've obviously weighed your options -- and when you include children, sometimes an only cat an be the best thing. I'm sure your baby and kitty are happy getting all the attention now. Things may change down the road -- so never say never, but getting another pet is a huge decision and you have to weigh the pros and cons.