[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Despirate for help
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Despirate for help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:13 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi, I'm a neighbour of a pair of Bengals, 2yr old female, ex breeding queen, now neutered and1yr old tom, destined to be the next stud, now neutered.

She isn't so bad, doesn't come out often and will run if she sees me, but he....... we call him the Terrorist Cat.

I have a 14yr old moggie who is terrified and hasn't gone out of the house since they had open access to the outside. He chased her and still does if she dares to put a whisker outside. He also invites himself in if I have a window or door open, eats her food and attacks her. We have a spray bottle handy and he's been bathed several times, but seems to see it as a big joke! I've had to change my catflap for an infra red one because he just came in. I recently adopted 2 of my daughters cats, 3 yr old neutered brother and sister. The boy seems to have stared the Terrorist out and just keeps out of his way, she was attacked last Monday, all I saw was a ball of multicoloured fur rolling across the lawn with bloodcurdling howls! When she came back, she didn't seem to have any injuries, no blood, but also no collar, so unable to get in the catflap! Since then she refused to go out, sat by the catflap watching for the Terrorist and because she now had a new tag on her new collar, letting him in!!

Got to the final straw on Wednesday evening when she wee'd all over my bed and I had to change the whole thing, including scrub the mattress, at midnight. No more!!

Have had to rehome her again, but she's fine where she's gone, settled quickly and eating and behaving like a totally different cat!

What do I do about the Terrorist? Short of moving house!!

Post subject: Re: Despirate for help
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Whilst I have two bengals I am also in the same position as you in that my guys are bullied by a neighbours cat, and have been since they were kittens. I don't think it's necessarily breed specific, just the nature of the cat involved as to how territorial they are. In fact, one of mine was very beaten up by this particular cat just two weeks ago, and he was bleeding and bruised, fortunately no infections and he has healed up well.

I bought a cat flap that will only let my two in - it's a microchip cat flap and will only open when it recognises their microchip. That may help, and they have to have their head very close for it to recognise them, just sitting by it won't open it.

Other than that, have you spoken to your neighbour and how long have they been around? Have they adopted the ex-breeding Bengals or are they breeders? If they breed they may have the facilities to keep them in cat enclosures if they know they are being a nuisance or terrorising your cats. I don't know who owns our neighbourhood bully or I would go round and speak to them, to see if we could find a way forward. Mind you, we also have a new cat in the vicinity now as well which is also causing plenty of feline upset, encroaching into existing cats territory. I'm hoping it all calms down once new boundaries are settled!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:30 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Claire,

No, my neighbour rescued her two from a breeder who was having to close down. She originally took on 3, a mature stud Tom as well. He lasted about a month or so before she handed him to a local cat rehoming centre.

They are beautiful cats, don't get me wrong. I'm a cat person, have always had cats from childhood (and I'm retired now!), but I'm at my wits end with this situation. I also have a disabled husband, who is in and out of hospital lately too.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I totally understand, it's horrible when you have this sort of thing going when you have so much else going on as well! I'm constantly on stand by at the moment, as Hendrix is regularly getting into trouble and being chased by every cat in the road!

I bought a water pistol for the grey cat who has always bullied my two. He runs as soon as he sees me now. But he has recently started coming around again which may be linked to the newcomer who is now causing chaos.

I would definitely recommend the sure flap assuming your cats are microchipped. There isn't the worry of them losing their collars and the grey cat chased mine into the conservatory once which is why I invested in one. We also have foxes and jagger was attacked by one and the fox even came in the conservatory.

Perhaps only let yours out when you are around to keep an eye on things and build their confidence back up. I did that for a good year before mine got the cat flap, they were allowed out before and after work and they are still kept in at night.

Have you tried any of the cat repellents that are around? It would probably keep yours in your garden and may have some success in keeping other cats out. I've never used them but it might be worth a try. There is special fencing you can get as well, but I imagine that would be expensive, I know we couldn't afford to put that around our garden.

My two are very much creatures of habit, does the Bengal have a routine as if so you could then work out when it is safe for yours to be outside. Or would your neighbour agree to have a system that if yours are out she keeps hers in and vice versa. I'm sure she would be mortified if she knew the stress this was causing you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum. Your problem lies with your neighbor. I'm guessing you are in another country due to your spelling. It seems that most of UK'ers and Aussies allow their cats to roam the outdoors, even purebreds. This can present a huge problem when neighbors have cats and one is aggressive toward the other cats. The sad thing is that you've given up your kitty when your kitty did absolutely nothing wrong! Being bullied and attacked by another cat takes away a cat's confidence. The accident on the bed was a result of that.

Nobody wants to change homes due to a pesky little cat (you can always hope they move like one of my neighbors with an aggressive cat that attacked my leg did). I'm guessing you no longer a cat and are simply concerned about the male cat attacking you or your husband. You honestly haven no idea if an attack will really happen, but you're afraid to be around that cat and cats can sense that you are fearful and will play the aggressor!

If you're neighbor won't do anything, perhaps there is an agency there that you can contact. Most of the time, if a pet attacks someone, the owner gets a warning or a fine and can be responsible for any medical bills. I know you do not it to reach that point. Fences don't keep out cats, that's for sure. The only other trick that might work is that you make friends with the cat -- however, the kitty may not be friendly at all. You're in a stuck situation.

If it were me, I'd talk with the neighbor and let them know if the cat comes into your yard, you will trap it and take it to a shelter. This won't help the neighbor relations but if she wants to keep the cat, she may have to do something. I made that threat after months of trying to keep a neighbors cat out of my yard and from antagonizing my bengal in his enclosure. The owner was hysterical that she was going to lose her cat. They sold their home and moved shortly after that -- problem solved!!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with discussing this with your neighbour.

I own an ex breeding male and he is highly territorial. Inside, in his own environment, he's super lovely and adorable. However he could be your Terrorist cat, if he were allowed to roam freely. I have recognised this in him and he is only allowed out in a walking jacket and on a leash. No way is he allowed out by himself. He would do exactly what your neighbours cat is doing.

I am fairly sure there is no way this is going to diminish. Bengals are quite often fearless, strong and undaunted by other cats or humans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:56 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi Sherry, yes I'm in the UK. I still have my 14yr old, she is fairly happy with being an indoor cat in her twilight years. She will venture out into the garden if I or my husband are out there. As for my daughters 2 cats, the female has gone back to her and has settled brilliantly, the male is still here and is fine. I have the feeling that they had a stand off and Mica (mine) refused to back down! He's a neutered 3 yr old, used to being outside and comes from farm stock. I am not in the slightest frightened of my neighbours cat, it's a cat, it's smaller than me, even if better armed!! I'm just fed up with not being able to have a door or window open without being invaded!

I can honestly say I have NEVER seen a cat walked on a lead in the UK! I did, many years ago, try to put one of mine in a harness. Never again!! As for an agency to report it too, cats over here are classed as 'free spirits'. They are not 'owned' as dogs are and can basically do what they want. Obviously, if it was a stray, then it could be reported to the RSPCA/Cats Protection etc, but otherwise no one is interested. I've even rung our local councils Environmental Health dept.

So, suppose it's off to have 'that' conversation. Really not looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good luck! I don't know if you've spoken to any other cat owning neighbours, but it may be they are having the same issues. I'm sure he isn't just picking on your guys. Sounds like the younger boy is standing up to him though which is good. It may mean that if your neighbour isn't helpful with this that he will sort it out himself, as long as he doesn't lose confidence.

In general I think cats try to avoid actual fighting, to get injured can affect their survival. Most of the antics around my area are stand offs etc, only once has Hendrix been properly attacked, and that is by a really bully boy cat who has bullied them since being kittens and they are now terrified off.

Hope it goes well and let us know what happens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:07 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We have resolution!

I went and spoke to my neighbour on Tuesday after her cat attacked my 3 yr old. Final straw.

Told her what had been going on, that I couldn't have a door or window open without him invading, the fights he started etc. She said she hadn't realised how bad it was. In the house he is the undercat, her big British Blue male is top cat and the other Bengal that came with him, I believe his mother, hates him!! She hides on top on the heating boiler to keep out of his way. He's a lapcat indoors!!

Anyway, the upshot is, he's moving at the weekend. A friend of hers has a property on the outskirts of a village, in a field, and he is being rehomed there. He will be chief ratter and mouser, will have foxes, otters and badgers to bully and the owner to make a fuss of him.

I wouldn't force anyone to get rid of a loved pet, but he was in the wrong place for him. He had not been socialised as a kitten as he was destined to be the next stud cat and he's never really got used to domestic life after being caged. At least my neighbour will still be able to visit and see him and will know he's being looked after.

Thanks for all your advice and contributions.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's good news. Sounds like they were already considering rehoming him because he wasn't a good fit. I hope he has a nice happy long life in his new home.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Communication was the key here and the fact that your neighbor listened to you and solved the problem! Sounds like this will be much better for the kitty.