It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:01 am 
Senior Bengal

Hey everyone! So we have our new kitten Orion, he's been at home for 3 full days and he's so stinkin cute and fun. One of the things we've observed him do several times, is growl and play tug of war like a dog when he gets a toy in his mouth that he's very excited about, usually something with feathers. Does anyone else's bengal(s) do this?? He's our first bengal, and although I know they're a little more "wild" than a typical cat, I definitely wasn't expecting that! :)

Here's a video I caught of Orion doing this today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXMucWfyGyQ

*Holly*

Orion ~ Light Gold Black Rosetted Bengal, born 5/19/15
Apollo ~ Tuxedo Marbled Tabby, born 1/7/12

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Holly

He is definitely a little cutie!

Perfectly normal, mine do that too! Wait until you play with a flying frenzy/da bird with him and he's having a tug of war with you! It's amazing just how strong and powerful these bengals are! Even my other half has lost tug of war with Hendrix lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

socalprincess wrote:
Hey everyone! So we have our new kitten Orion, he's been at home for 3 full days and he's so stinkin cute and fun. One of the things we've observed him do several times, is growl and play tug of war like a dog when he gets a toy in his mouth that he's very excited about, usually something with feathers. Does anyone else's bengal(s) do this?? He's our first bengal, and although I know they're a little more "wild" than a typical cat, I definitely wasn't expecting that! :)

Here's a video I caught of Orion doing this today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXMucWfyGyQ

*Holly*

I don't know that I would call that a growl... more like a squeel, like something a bird would do LOL. He'll learn... let us know when he learns to do a proper growl :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

brianj12 wrote:
I don't know that I would call that a growl... more like a squeel, like something a bird would do LOL. He'll learn... let us know when he learns to do a proper growl :lol:

Bless him, he's only little, his voice probably hasn't broken yet :biggrin: Have to say though I could easily mistake Hendrix for a dog when he's growling! He's got a very deep growl lol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tabitha wrote:
Bless him, he's only little, his voice probably hasn't broken yet :biggrin: Have to say though I could easily mistake Hendrix for a dog when he's growling! He's got a very deep growl lol

Definitely. When one of my bengals gets a treat, and the other one comes running up "hey, what'cha got there?" G-R-O-W-L... it's pretty impressive.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What I see is frustration that Orion can't get the feather (prey) and take it away to deal with it. Most cats will grab it and run away with it. Orion is a cutie pie! And he's still learning. It's great that he loves to play. Hope he has some little stuffed mice that he can play with and start hiding them around the house. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:13 pm 
Senior Bengal

Sherry wrote:
What I see is frustration that Orion can't get the feather (prey) and take it away to deal with it. Most cats will grab it and run away with it. Orion is a cutie pie! And he's still learning. It's great that he loves to play. Hope he has some little stuffed mice that he can play with and start hiding them around the house. :biggrin:

Haha, he's a good little hunter! I witnessed this initially about an hour after we brought him home, and I got out his new wand toy, and he was so ferocious, attacking it and trying to take it from me! It took me off guard, so he latched on and growled and pulled for about 2 min straight. It reminded me of a dog playing tug of war with a rope or a plushie. I guess maybe that frustration is what always causes an animal to "growl" like "gimme my darn prey!" When I finally let go, he dragged the whole wand under the bed, it was adorable. :lol:

My god is he fast...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:15 pm 
Senior Bengal

brianj12 wrote:

Lol, he's trying with his little lion cub voice! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Diesel did that when he was younger too, and he would try to drag the toy away to the closet (that's his hiding spot). He'll still try to drag the toy away if he catches it but he doesn't growl nearly as much any more.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry wrote:

Maybe, but there is something about having a toy tethered to a cat tree that makes it irresistible to them. The toy largely loses it's appeal once that tether is broken. They love it, even if they can't carry it off.... I think he's just "practicing" to be a cat :biggrin: Which includes all the actions and sounds, even if he hasn't quite figured them out or perfected them yet :lol: