[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Scatching kitten
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scatching kitten
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi guys :)

So I am a first time bengal owner.

I got my baby boy Zuki a couple of days ago.

He is 4 and a half months old.

Now, he doesn't like to be picked up - straight away he gets the claws out.

Also, sometimes when I am just trying to pat him he grabs me with his front paws and bites/scratches.

And also sometimes when I am just stroking him he will sniff my finger/hand and bite. It doesn't seem aggressive, though.

I have never owned a kitten, I have only dealt with and owned adult cats, but I have heard that kittens can be a little rough when they play and some like to scratch and bite.

Has anyone had experience with this? Do they usually grow out of this or will it become a part of his personality?

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Scatching kitten
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Congratulations on your new addition!

He's only been with you a couple of days and from what I've read in your other posts, he had bit of a traumatic journey to be with you. He doesn't really know you yet, so it might have been too early to try to pick him up taking into account those things. However, you also need to bear in mind that on the whole bengals do NOT like being picked up, unless it is on their terms! I have two, and they both have their ways of saying 'I want a cuddle, please pick me up'. But if they don't want picking up, that is made clear too! They will struggle their way out of your arms in whatever manner they feel appropriate.

With the biting and scratching your hands etc, NEVER play with him with your hands, and make it clear to him you don't think that is acceptable play. Remove your hand and stop play with a stern no. You don't need to do anything else, he will soon get the message. No smacking and no spraying with water or anything like that, you want him to trust you. Never do those things whatever he gets up to, and believe me, he is going to get into EVERYTHING and will test your patience to the limit lol

Get plenty of wand toys and kickaroos to replace your hand with if he starts on your hand. Make sure you have plenty of appropriate toys for him. Do you have a cat tree and scratching posts? These things are all pretty much a necessity when it comes to bengals.

You are still getting to know each other so be patient, like I said before it is very early days but these days are very important in gaining his trust, so take things slowly. You are lucky he is even coming out to see you. My two hid under the bed for two days before they decided we were worth knowing lol

Good luck and keep asking questions on here as bengals are totally different to any other cat you might have known previously!

PS I was covered in scratches for at least six months after ours arrived, so scratches are pretty inevitable, especially once he thinks you make a good climbing frame lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

A few possibilities come to mind:

1. He's in pain.
That is often how a cat reacts if he knows that you picking him up or touching him in a certain area will cause him pain.

2. You're touching him in places he doesn't want to be touched
Some cats are extra sensitive on the stomach, or on the foot pads, or places like that.

3. He's getting over-stimulated
Long strokes along the back of a cat can cause them to become over-stimulated after awhile. Try shorter strokes around the head/neck/chin instead.

4. He's trying to play with you but doesn't know how to
With bengals, you need to establish play times and games that are acceptable to both of you. Toys like dabird and neko flies or flying frenzy toys will help with that.

From what you've said, I suspect it's probably #2 or #3, and you just need to keep these possibilities in the back of your mind, and observe carefully how you are interacting with him, and what triggers that response. But playing with him regularly will keep him happy and stimulated and help prevent him making up his own games and hurting you.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There could be several things going on here. First, how socialized was he at the breeder's? Did he have the run of the house and interact with the family? Second, you just got him. There is a adjustment that a cat (and human) must go through due to the change in environment. Third, he's a kitten! You will get scratched and bitten.

My theory is that you are trying to handle him too much and too soon! Let Zuki adjust a little bit. Yes, he needs to be petted and talked to, but trying to handle him constantly is not to his liking, obviously. Give him some time and let him come to you. We all want snuggle bugs but many bengals are not! They are not known for being lap kitties and my Raiden hates to be picked up and held.

Get some wand toys and engage him in play. Make sure you have at least one cat tree for him. Raising a kitten is like raising a child -- except with a bengal, they remain a 3-year old toddler forever!!!

Give Zuki a week and I'm sure you'll see a change in him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wait for my cats to come to me. I am home during the day on the weekends and I have noticed that in the afternoon they become very sleepy, like zombies. If I lie down, they zombie over to me and lay on top of me and sleep. When they are awake and alert they follow me but generally don't want to be picked up. Grace likes to be brushed so she has started coming over to me and letting brush and pet her throughout the day. That's something, I feel like I am making headway.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jill, I thought Blondie and Gracie would be little snuggle bunnies considering everything you've bought them, etc. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden does his own thing. He loves going out to his enclosure. Lately, he's been napping in the upper room of the house that's out there for him. He only stalks me when he wants something, but has to sleep at my feet at night. In the evenings, he's in the living room with us, usually sleeping next to me on the couch. He's not a snuggle bunny at all.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like Zuki has gotten settled in fairly well. A lot of bengals do not enjoy being picked up and held! That's just the breed! I can hold Raiden about 15 seconds before he starts fighting to get away. Right now, you just have to take what they will give you! And the fact that you can pet him now is good. He's super handsome.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:24 am 
Bengal Cat

If a Cat scratching never play with him with your hands, and make it clear to him you don't think that is acceptable play. With bengals, you need to establish play times and games that are acceptable to both of you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am hoping things are better with Zuki after another week! These things can take time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:05 pm 
Senior Bengal

Orion ~ Light Gold Black Rosetted Bengal, born 5/19/15
Apollo ~ Tuxedo Marbled Tabby, born 1/7/12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It sounds like Zuki will be one of the bengals who simply does not like to be picked up and held. Mine is that way, even though I still do pick him up and hold him. He always wants back down right away. I get lots of head butts and kitty kisses. Your little guy loves the purr and be petted. Mine does as well. I've had cats that were super affectionate and wanted to be held or sleep in my lap. Unfortunately, that's not my bengal and it doesn't sound like it's Zuki either.