[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Deep paddling pool and bengal
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well it's due to be very very hot in the UK this week coming which is a major, and very rare event for us! Of course the kids want the pool out. Our pool is one of those easy up with an inflatable ring round the top. 12ft diameter and is about mid thigh depth. Our last cat was not interested in it at all. We now have Oscar and I am worrying about the pool and his inquisitive nature. I know if he climbed in he would most likely be able to get out but I am worrying about the solar cover we have for it. It just floats on top like bubble wrap but if he stepped on it he would sink and be enclosed by it. I think the best option is to keep it as full as possible so water level is near the top so he could clamber out and not use the solar cover. Does anyone have any advice or ideas as to something that could be rigged up so he could get out easier if he fell in. Thinking a rope ladder dangled in??? May just be totally overthinking it and he would probably just hop out easily but would never forgive myself if he drowned.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa, you've got yourself a situation, that's for sure. Cats are definitely curious. Would Oscar have access to that area unsupervised? I know a bengal, Porcha, who loves to swim in their swimming pool. I'm guessing cats can swim, but getting out of a pool can be a whole different ballgame, unless there are steps (like an unground pool) for a cat to walk out -- and even then, you have a tiny cat in a big pool.

I understand your fear and the only thing I can tell is to keep a watchful eye on Oscar once the pool is in place and see if he has any curiosity toward it. If so, let him inspect it and do his thing. If he falls in, you're right there to rescue him -- and if it happens, he may be so terrified of the experience that he will not go near it again and you're in the clear. Thankfully, your summer is really short!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a pool in my screened in patio. It has two sets of stairs that they could use to exit the pool but I don't know if they would realize that. Grace jumped in last February during one of our rare south Florida cold fronts. I was inside meditating with Blondie on my lap when I heard a loud splash. I ran to the door and Grace was dripping wet running towards me. I scooped her up in a towel and held her, and she let me! She was totally silent but she gave a big sigh in my arms. I didn't see if she used the stairs to get out or not, but I was relieved that she was able to get out on her own.

They both used to jump in the bath tub with me when they were kittens. I think Grace expected the water to be warm. I still see them leaning over the edge and putting a paw into the pool but neither one has jumped back in.

When I go in the pool Blondie is right there watching over me the whole time. She comes to the edge and let's me put water on her. I lifted her up and put her on the first step a couple of weeks ago. She didn't resist at all. I also have a couple of rafts that I put into the pool to make a ramp, but they haven't used them yet.

i guess just make sure your cats can get out if they fall in. A non inflatable float set up as a ramp is a good way for them to exit the pool. Make sure if you use a cover that they can't get trapped under it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks ladies! I have spent a couple of hours scouring pool websites for inspiration. There are paddling pool steps that are like double sided step ladders. Think that is probably the best and safest option for Oscar. I did always wonder what cats do if they get into trouble in pools. Are they savvy enough to realise the steps are the way out? Lets hope so. I hope he has no interest in it at all. The solar cover is definitely not going on though as that would be asking for trouble

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa, this is obviously an above-ground pool, so Oscar would have to JUMP to get into it. Not like Jill's, where they just step into the water. The question is would he jump up there just to see what's going on? Does he like water? Maybe some splashing of the pool water on him if he gets near it would scare him away. Cats tend to learn quickly what is good and what is bad for them. I think you'll be a nervous wreck until you know for certain he either isn't interested, or he is a swimmer and can manage to get himself out of the pool. Cats can swim -- it's just the getting out part that usually causes them to drown. I'd simply supervise him and watch him when he's around that area. That will give you a good guide. I just don't know how smart a cat would be to find steps to get out. Even humans panic in situations like that and don't do the right thing. Keep us informed.