[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - My Cory Escaped :( Please Help
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

Our handsome marbled Bengal Cory snuck out on the night of June 10th. We didn't even realize it until the next morning when we didn't find Cory on the bed with us. I knew I should have gone with my wife's concerns that night about not seeing Cory, but I was drugged up on NyQuil from having a cold and just figured he was hiding somewhere. I don't know how or why but the window in our bedroom was left open further than it should have been. Normally it's left open about 2-3 inches so our 2 cats can't go out. We have window locks on all of our windows, so my wife or I must have opened it further than we should have and didn't realize it. Cory must have squeezed himself through the open window and pushed through the window screen to escape. We live in an apartment complex in a suburban neighborhood with a hiking trail and a small creek right behind. My wife and I sure are doing a good job staying hopeful and we look "ok" on the surface, but I know we both are a mess on the inside and fearing for the worst. We both feel so god damn horrible for being such awful parents.

We left his favorite dry food and wet food outside our patio that's right next to the bedroom window from which he escaped. We put up flyers with a $2,000 reward everywhere in our apartment complex, posted it on social media, and searched around on foot for the past 2 weeks. We also drove around the area as well but didn't find anything. Our fliers posted all of our apartment complex community have all now been taken down due to "policies" at our property. All of the neighbors seem to be aware but there are several outdoor cats that are confusing them. We've been getting calls for sightings every few days but despite what the 11" x 17" signs say about not chasing Cory and just taking a picture of him instead for confirmation, people are somehow chasing it away or getting him confused with other cats. In fact, just today when we were walking our rosetted Bengal Toby, 3 of our neighbors came up to us to congratulate us on finding Cory. They look nothing alike. :confused:

A bloodhound scent tracker lady came down to our neighborhood with 2 bloodhounds and a terrier last Saturday. Both bloodhounds ended up in the same area, a hiking trail outside of our community where many wildlife such as coyotes and skunks frequent. She found what she thinks are coyote dropping and regurgitation and cat hair. She has taken it to a forensic analyst have it compared against a patch of hair from Cory we have after a rough play fight with Toby. We're still waiting on the results. We've already spent over $2,500 on searching for Cory and it's starting to impact our budget: bloodhounds, humane traps, wildlife cameras, bait food for Cory, bait food to distract wildlife from Cory's bait food, fliers, laminated signs, lost pet private investigators, and even an animal psychic communicator.

Unfortunately, Cory is an indoor only cat so we don't have a collar on him. He is microchipped so I've been checking the shelters around the area. Cory has been missing for 13 days now. He is bit of a skittish cat so I'm worried that a car or an animal scared him or chased him far, far away. I really hope he is just hiding nearby. I can only reassure my wife so much before even I succumb to reality. We don't even feel like we deserve another chance with Cory but at least Cory deserves another chance to live with a family in a home and be safe. What else can we do? If anyone has anything to add, has an idea we haven't tried yet, knows about indoor-only Bengal behavior when they're lost outside, or even success stories, I would appreciate it. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, calm down and breathe. I know what you're going through. I've been in your shoes. You are doing all the right things to find Cory (except for maybe the lost pet investigators and psychic). Did you walk Cory on a leash? If so, he may be familiar with his way back home. As a skittish kitty, he's probably scared to death. These kitties crave to go outside and then don't know what to do once they get out there.

You'll just have to wait on the DNA from the fur, but I hope it's not Cory. Someone would have to befriend Cory in order to provide a new home for him. Cats have and do return home on their own a long as they are able to. I know thinking positive is hard and I know about going outside each and every day hoping you spot him and he runs up to you crying. It's heartbreaking not knowing where he is or what's happening with him.

Check Craigslist to see if anyone has found a cat and post your own ad on there for a lost kitty. You will have to repost every few days as the ad drops.

When mine went missing, I sent out 1,800 flyers and postcards to every home in a 3-mile radius of my house (thankfully, there are no apartments), but I addressed them to "My Neighbor" and then put the address. I put as many pictures of the kitty as I could on there and a description and spent a lot on postage. You need as many eyes looking for him as possible and that reward you're offing may help. I offered one for my kitty, however, it's been over two years and I haven't seen him.

Cory is a handsome guy. I'm hopeful for a better result for you and Cory! Good luck and keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please stop beating yourself up over this. Put all your energy into finding Cory and not berating yourselves. By the sounds of it you did nothing wrong. We are all human and you did your best to keep your kitties safe but he managed to wriggle out of the window. The length you have already gone to in finding your boy is amazing and a testament to how much you love your Cory. The only thing I can add to this is to say look harder at the close by hiding places. Cats, when really frightened can just go into freeze mode and do nothing. My mum's cat went missing for five days. We went to huge lengths to get him home. Their neighbours had gone for a long weekend to Portugal and mum and dad sent them a text asking to look in their house. The lovely people said of course to use the spare key and check the house for Timmy. Mum and Dad scoured every inch of the house. They checked the master bedroom whose door was shut and then shut it again on the way out. No Timmy. The neighbours came home on the Tuesday and a few hours later carried a dehydrated and very hungry Timmy back home. He had been in the bedroom that my parents had checked twice. Goodness knows where but the neighbours said when they found him he was frozen in terror under their duvet in bed. So look under and in things, look close by then check again and again. The humane traps sound good. Maybe put them close by too. Sending you best wishes for the safe return of Cory x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My heart goes out to you as I know I would also be in a state if one of mine went missing. Have you asked everyone to open sheds and garages in case he bolted into one when he was scared and inadvertently got shut in? Are you aware if anyone has gone away for business or on holiday? He could have been shut in somewhere he was hiding (again like a shed or garage) and now they've gone away for a bit.

A cat went missing over here that someone was feeding for a neighbour whilst they went on holiday for 6 weeks. He was only given a kennel for shelter and he disappeared within days of his owners going away. When they came back, they heard something in the chimney, and it was their cat, who had gone on the roof of the house and tried to get back in via the chimney but got stuck. He was very dehydrated and had lost loads of weight but was fine other than that.

We had a cat that was always going missing, he'd climb in the back of vehicles and end up miles away. As he is microchipped, can you let the company who microchipped him know so they can send out a wider alert than the immediate vicinity?? They should be able to let many more shelters etc know than you would be able to contact yourself.

I'm keeping everything crossed for you that you get your boy back soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They do say that most indoor cats that go missing are close by. However, when an apartment complex and all the noise that goes with it, it could be natural for Cory to seek out a quieter spot. Don't give up hope -- I searched for a solid month, walking through woods calling out his name, walking my entire subdivision, driving and parking and walking nearby subdivisions. It truly wore me out. It sounds like you did a lot of research on how to locate a lost kitty. I know it's a lot of work, but Cory could still be out there and you simply do not want to give up that hope.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks, everyone, for all your support.

The forensic analysis results came back and the samples found in the scent trail matches against sample of Cory's fur. I was told it's not a DNA comparison so it's not 100% certain, but the microscopic analysis matched it positively against Cory. I don't know how to process this. I'm stuck at work for another 3 hours. My wife doesn't know yet. I don't know how to break the news to her.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:55 pm 
Bengal Cat

Im so so sorry.Three months ago i lost my Oliver,an orange tabby.He had a intestinal blockage.We got him in for surgery and he made it through but died that night.I feel guilty too.I initially couldn't afford the 3200.00 surgery because it was a Friday only ER vets were open so i took him to one locally and crappy part i could only pull out 400 per day out of my account.He sat sick for 17 hours.I called every vet around,spent every waking and sleeping minute looking for an open vet with a more reasonable price at least until i could pull the money out of my savings.Luckily though we found a vet three hours away who would do it for a 900.00 deposit.Sad he passed after a successful surgery.He was a stray and i had him for two years I found him under a tree in my yard shaking and nursed him to health.That cat was my best friend,like a child.I STILL cry.I am here because i recently bought a bengal named Taz.I would like to suggest a website called rainbow bridge.Helped me immensely during the first week.But hey you still have hope hes out there but dont beat yourself up.YOU DID NOTHING TO CAUSE THIS.You loved Corey that's obvious.Im praying for ya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is nothing anyone can say to help in a situation such as this. Just know that we all 100% understand the love you have for your Cory and the anguish you must be going through. You will be in my thoughts today. Hugs to you and your wife.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can only echo what Melissa has already said.

Thinking of you both xx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As tragic as this situation was, at least you have closure. Not every cat owner gets that. I am so very sorry! I know your hearts are broken. We've all been through the loss of a kitty. Remember all the wonderful memories. Cory was a gorgeous kitty. Perhaps in time you'll want to consider another bengal.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm so sorry. I can only imagine how devastated you are. Please know we're thinking of you. *hugs*

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes