It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Peeing issues
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 10:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh he's beautiful! Now how could such a cutie pie like that pee outside the litter box! He's just a tiny little thing. I really hope things go better for you. Thanks for sharing the picture.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 11:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

beautiful kitten!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:32 am 
Senior Bengal

Well I found the pee. I'm almost 100% sure it's only on my closet floor. I've washed all the bedding & shampooed my room & searchedthe entire floor smelling everywhere. I bought some natures miracle & some stuff for my carpet shampooer that's for pet urine. I can not get rid of the smell!!!!!! I've followed the directions a few times & shampooed it SO well & it just reeks. I know the smell can get stronger at first but I've been at this for a bit. My 32 oz bottle of the cat urine cleaner is almost gone. I've searched my closet too & I think it's just one area but oh man the smell!!!!! My entire room is pretty smelly :(I just bought some different stuff today. Should be here by Wed. I had it open with fans going too. Shampooed it VERY well this morning with the urine cleaner stuff & then sprayed it down again with the natures miracle cat stuff and had my window open and its stronger then ever :/

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The problem is you are cleaning only the carpet and carpet usually has padding and then wood sheathing underneath. Once the pee gets into those -- there is absolutely no way to get rid of it without taking up the carpet and treating what's underneath it. If you find the wood has been soaked, you'll have to buy a sealing primer and paint over it. The padding to the carpet will have to be replaced in that area. This is the ONLY way you're going to get the smell out. It will continue to come back up into the carpet from the padding. If you're on a concrete slab, you'd have to seal with a concrete sealer. I've been in that situation and until we pulled up the carpet and padding to put down our wood floors, we didn't realize how big the problem was!

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:54 pm 
Senior Bengal

I just can't believe how strong the smell is :(

Gonna pull up the carpet hopefully in a few days. Gonna try some other mixes too. He must have peed more then once there. I'm going to get a litter box in there. He isn't allowed in my room currently but just in case.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi. I hope you get to solve this problem I really feel for you cat pee is one of the worst smells in the world . and there is the worry of replacing carpeting etc for them to then urinate on that and be back to square 1. not many people can afford new carpets and furniture every few weeks or however long it may take. I would maybe try and contact a behaviourist. They might be able to put in a solid plan for you to follow I am not sure just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I truly hate that you're going to have to pull up the carpet, but at least it's in your closet. I hope once you take care of this area, the smell will be gone. It's the worst odor in the world. You will need to make sure the backing to the carpet is clean as well. The carpet padding may need to be replaced -- and maybe your home improvement store will have it and will sell you a small section. If the wood underneath is soaked (and I hope it's just sub flooring and not wood floors), then get a paint primer/sealer and put down several coats. I know this will not be a job that's finished in an hour .... and you'll just have to keep him out of the area until you're finished. If the cat smell is still in the air after all of this, then there are other areas you've missed. This is a lot of work for you, but I'm glad you're keeping at it. I don't know that I would put a litter box in the closet. You really don't want to encourage him to go in there. Continue to keep us posted.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 pm 
Senior Bengal

It doesn't need to be in the closet. I'm just hoping if he gets in there & needs to go he may be encouraged to use the box & not floor. I have a 1-yr-old so am trying to avoid a litter box in there since she can then reach it. Hopefully by this weekend I can solve the problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:21 pm 
Senior Bengal

I wish I had 2-3 hours away from the kids to work on this problem :( I pulled up the carpet. It's concrete under. I don't know how much of the wet stuff is pee & how much is cleaner. I just did a vinegar & baking soda solution which in itself is a huge mess now :( plus I had a mini freezer with several months of pumped breast milk that was bumped open in this & I noticed today is now ruined & some water was leaking I think. SUCH a mess.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi. I am sorry your going through this and hope that its solved soon :sad:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is not from just one peeing accident. There are concrete sealers as well (concrete is porous). You may be able to use an enzyme cleaner with a brush on the concrete, but you're going to have to let it dry completely before you cover it up with padding and carpet again. I would be pulling my hair out at this point. On top of that -- a freezer with the door left ajar! I don't know how you're not completely stressed out over all of this.

The only thing you can do is work with this a little at a time. Once you get the concrete cleaned (or sealed) and dried, then you can work on getting padding back under the carpet. The carpet itself needs to be completely clean and dry before you put it back down over the padding. The little "monster" (LOL) needs to stay out of your closet, even if you have to find a way to lock the door.

Your life is hectic enough just having children. You are my hero today for hanging in there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:06 am 
Senior Bengal

Lol. I'm actually a single mom to a 5 year old & baby. I also have custody of my 25 yr old very disabled sister. This room is my room & also my baby's which makes it way harder. Most of the wet stuff you see if most likely the mixtures I over the past week or two was pouring on it. I cut out the padding all together to throw out & nailed the carpet up with fans going all over it. Scrubbed the concrete & am hoping to have time to go get a thing to paint over it tomorrow. My room is a disaster. Everything that was stored in my closet is on my bed. My freezer is in the middle of my room. I'm sleeping on the couch. Once I get the smell & stuff cleaned I have a paste mess from the baking soda. I've never had this big of a mess from cat pee!! Or at least never had the clean up been soooooo complicated. I made progress at least.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

you have a lot on your plate! keep going hopefully your kitten stops this

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are my hero even more now. You have so much going on in your life and your willing to deal with something like this. The paint you need to get is a "sealer" for concrete! You shouldn't need much of it, but I would do a couple of coats on it. I don't think you really need padding there in the closet, but the everything needs to be dry! I'm hoping that once you put everything back together, you can't smell a thing.

Your sense of humor and great outlook on life will carry you through! Bless you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:06 am 
Senior Bengal

Was able to put some primer for it. They said it would be prefect on the concrete. Did a good layer this morning. Hoping to do another tomorrow. It's a bit tricky since the fumes are strong & my daughter naps twice a day. Try to do it right after she gets up then open windows/fan. Wish she would sleep in her brothers room but she won't nap well. It already all feels very dry but giving it another day or two. It's cool outside right now only 60's but should be 80's in a few days. Much warmer & easier to air out. I can NOT wait to have my room back. Night 6 of sleeping on the couch since my bed is covered in my closet stuff. Just crazy what a mess this turned into. I still have the baking soda mess on the top of the actual carpet :/ Luckily he is cute & the kids love him!

So litter box in my room or no? I'd rather not but I'm worried at some point he'll get locked in there & pee again

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.