[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - importing f1 from USA to Canada
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

wow that is such a large amount of money! :eek: I am sure he will be worth every penny and more .

I hope you post lots of pics when you are able :biggrin:

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

i will!!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

WOW, that's really a lot of money to spend. I can't believe you couldn't find an F1 through a Canadian breeder. There's just so many hoops to go through due to bringing him into a different country! I hope all goes well for you tomorrow and he isn't too stressed out from the plane ride. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

any news on your F1 ? :smile:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, we're waiting with anticipation! Hope all went well and he arrived okay and in good health.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

sorry i haven't replied! There ended up being a fiasco at the airport on monday(where he was supposed to depart from). i guess the airline cargo people didn't book his flight properly and so the ticket agent refused to let him fly on that flight so we had to reschedule the flight too.. TODAY!
Unfortunately this meant my breeder having to drive 6 hours on two different days.

Hopefully his flight is on time so that i can actually take him home today( if it isn't, he has to stay in a kennel overnight). we requested immediate unloading of his carrier so hopefully everything will work out. apparently he did very well this morning at the airport and during the car ride but had a freak out once being put in the kennel. his flight doesn't arrive until another 7 hours and i will be biting my nails every moment while i wait. i hate that he has to go through this :((
I will post pictures in the gallery and probably make him youtube channel so that you guys can see him in action!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh, no! Well, as long as he gets on the flight today, he should arrive okay! I know how you must feel over this delay. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it all works out and he won't be too stressed out! The breeder has gone above and beyond -- a 6 hour drive -- twice -- is nothing to sneeze over. The poor little baby. I can imagine he may just want to hide when he arrives. I wouldn't blame him. This is a lot for a new kitty to take in, but hope this is the worst it will ever be in his lifetime. Know you are pins and needles awaiting arrival of that flight! {{{HUGS}}}

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for the reassurance! My body is jello!!
His flight just left Chicago and looks like it's on time. I'm so nervous for him!
And yes, my breeder is the best! Plus she had to leave at like 1am her time. I gave her money for gas.
Yes I am going to put him in the bathroom tonight instead of the bedroom right away so that he doesn't run and hide under the bed.
Hopefully he will come around soon! But hoping for the best, preparing for the worst.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know that might sounds counter intuitive but every vet and breeder ive talked to about this has said never put them anywhere they can hide at first because then you're going to have a cat that lives under the bed and won't come out which can compromise the initial bonding process. Either way, I don't think today will be pretty.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your bengal has been used to being around mom, siblings and humans. To simply toss him into a bathroom where he will have nobody isn't going to be the right thing unless you plan to make a bed and stay in there with him. Seriously! He will probably cry at being all alone. This is not what you want. He needs to hear your voice. He needs to have you near him. The bonding needs to start immediately. You will have a sleepless night, no doubt, but I'd either have him in the bedroom with me tonight or I'm sleeping in the bathroom with him. The situation could be so different 24 hours later. Getting through this first night is crucial and after all he's been through today, he may just need to sleep. But more important, I think he needs reassurance. Normally, mommy kitty would do that ... today, it's up to you.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for your concerns everybody.
Not to worry, he will not be "simply tossed into the bathroom". I will stay with him every moment of it and the plan is to stay overnight with him in there. The purpose of him being in there is that before he gains access to a large room where he can hide away(as he will want to because he will be afraid), he needs to become familiar with the smaller environment first. Then he will be in the bedroom after a night or two where he will have more access then eventually the rest of the house.
The rule of thumb I've been told(and followed) on numerous occasions is once they are eating, playing and using the litter box then they should be moved Out of the bathroom and integrated into another part of the house like a bedroom until they have full reign of everything. You don't want to do this too early or an animal can become a recluse. Timelines, give or take if there is another pet already.
Though this is true (in my opinion and experience; if you disagree that's fine) for most cats it is especially crucial for this breed as the bonding process is so imperative, especially at the beginning. How is anyone supposed to bond or spend time with him if he has hidden away somewhere like under a bed? I don't know about you but i don't fit under my bed very well ;)
He needs to be held and given cuddles to reassure him.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have zero experience with early generations. When my kitten came home I did allow her to hide because she was spitting at me when approached. Thankfully allowing her to come to us worked nicely after a couple of days she was exploring. I will say this though she has been home 1 week and she still chooses to sleep in her hiding spot . she is so typical of what I thought a female cat may be lol. affection is on her terms. Its funny though because although she doesnt not sleep beside me. she comes up for night cuddles. its the only part of the day where she is massively affectionate. purring having tummy tickles etc. she lays beside me for ages then when i go to sleep she goes back to her own bed :lol: it really is the perfect balance for us as she is not massively demanding but i know every night im going to get cuddles and she is going to be rolling around wanting lots of attention . anyway back to your guy. I hope everything goes well and cannot wait to see him

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So far he is doing great everyone! He is quite the character. Very chatty.
He was completely silent when I got him and fell asleep on the way home. Once I got him home and he realized there was another cat around he started to have a fit. At first he would let me near him but eventually let up.
It took him about an hour to calm down after being let out of his carrier. Lots of howling at first but now mostly just playful chirping. now he is playing and eating and cuddling. He already fell asleep in my lap a couple times and is trying to climb me to get at my hair. And he has already enjoyed playing in the tub with some water in it and he enjoys the running water from the tap on the sink.

I have some really great pictures of him that I will upload. Plus I have a video uploading on YouTube of him in the water.

Surprisingly, my cat Avi doesn't seem to care that he is around on the otherwise of the door. It hardly phased him.