It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Parrots wih bengals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

My girlfriend has a Bengal and we have been talking about her moving in with me. The only problem is that I own a Macaw. The Bengal is 3 years old. If anyone has any input on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Parrots wih bengals
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:49 pm 
Bengal Kitten

i have 3 macaws

can you keep them seperate? dont push the cat, if the cat slashes the parrot with claws or bites the macaw just once the macaw will die from bacteria infection, as strong as the macaws powerful beak is, dont encourage the two species to interact. Specially not a cat with fast reflexes like a bengal. Macaws beak is a feeding tool it was not meant to be used as defense. THey are a flight species not a fight species. People misundestand this about their bird and stress them out to the point of self mutilation etc.. A cat that shows interest in them will stress them out. Small wild cats prey on macaws in the wild.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I think it could work if you train the cat not to bug the macaw maybe a spray bottle? the macaw will be at peace with the cat around, do not let them interact and never let them play thats when a cat will slash at a macaws eye by mistake while playing ive had to get that treated while doing co op as a vet tech. Macaws have poor reflexes compared to cats.

remember predators show interest in prey if the cat ignores the bird the bird will be happy and not stressed like my macaws are, problem happen when people encourage parrots and cats to interact accidents happen the parrot gets infected after the cat claws or bites the bird. Siamese, Bengal, Abby Egyptians seem like more hyperactive cats high prey drive. A mini macaw would be lunch.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This doesn't sound like a great matchup. If you let the parrot out, then the cat must be in another area of the home.