[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - How do I know what generation bengal is?
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have just been looking at Oscar's pedigree for the first time since I got him in October, I had no idea it was in the paperwork passed on by the cats protection league. He is a 6yr old rescue cat and I must admit I find it a little strange that the rescue centre had his pedigree certificate when they said he had been living rough??? I know that 76/30 refers to his colour, and SBT refers to stud book tradition I think. What does that mean? His parents and grandparents all have SBT by their names but his great grandparents on his dads side have prefix CSSR I know there are lots of references to F3 F4 etc on this forum. Are SBT the ones that come after the earlier F's? Looked on bengal websites but am even more confused now! It baffles me how Oscar ended up in a rescue centre. I have looked at pictures of Oscar's parents online - Glitterglam Heatwave and Majestic pride Ritzy Chick. I showed Oscar his mum and dad too!!!!! It breaks my heart to think he was not wanted.

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar helping with tinsel last christmas

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UK

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

A bengal is labeled SBT when it is at least 4 generations away from the leopard cat. So yes, SBT is after the earlier generations of leopard cat F1-F4.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here is the pedigree on one of the parents:

http://bengalpedigrees.com/showone.php? ... &jid=16742

This one is a grand regional champion! And lots of CH (Champions) in the pedigree).

Here is the other parent:

http://bengalpedigrees.com/showone.php? ... &jid=12584

You can print the page to get the information or click on a five generation pedigree. The information is so very interesting. There will be so many other types of bengals and other such an abyssinian in the mix.

From this, you can go back through the pedigree and find out the F generation of your kitty. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear any of the generations are in Raiden's. I researched him back to the Asian Leopard Cat -- and he's an F9. If any of them were the same, it would be easier for me to tell you which F Oscar is.

Checking a pedigree like this means going back through each and every single cat as the F generation of your cat is the the lower generation. If the mother is an F8 an the father is an F7, your cat is an F8, one generation up from the father (sire, they are called).

However, I am so fascinated by the whole process of finding out, give me some time and I will research through the pedigree. I may eventually find a similar bengal that's in Raiden's pedigree, however, Raiden is from the Millwood line of cats. (I am retiring from my job next week and will have plenty of time to devote to this for you. It mainly entails printing out mountains of paperwork until you hit all the ALCs and go back from there. I so enjoyed doing Raiden's.)

If you have Oscar's information, you can put him into this website as this is the only one that has the pedigrees that you can search. Once you link him to the parents (obviously, the entire pedigree is in there or the parents would not be listed). In fact, I scanned and sent the website owner a copy of Raiden's pedigree so he could have the STAR which means it's a confirmed pedigree.

Ironically, a lot of people do not know the generation of their bengal. Even the previous owner did not know. He hadn't even registered Raiden with TICA. I did that and got a five generation pedigree. I had to put a lot of the grandfathers (even Raiden's mother) in there, but eventually got it done and the entire pedigree was there for ALL the cats).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just an update. I've printed out the pages I need. Once I went through the fifth generations from your Oscar's parents, they all hit the bengals in Raiden's pedigree. I have those cats all listed with their F numbers on Raiden's pedigree. I did see a couple that I may need to dip further into the pedigree. This will be an easy one to do. Hopefully, I can let you know tomorrow! I realize most people think this is a daunting task. I created a spreadsheet (flow chart like) for Raiden which took three months. I'm just writing the F numbers down the line on the pages for Oscar.

Edited because I thought you might like to know I see several Grand Champion, Quadruple Grand Champions, and Champions and you have an OS (Outstanding Sire that has fathered at least 15 champions) several times in Oscar's pedigree (same cat). He's only in Raiden's I think once. This is why it's so interesting to know the cats that have made up your kitty.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh my goodness Sherry it's so kind of you to spend any of your time on this! I find it fascinating to think that if you go back far enough then most of the bengals that are on this forum are distant cousins!! Oscar was born on 24/07/2008 (07/24??!!) and I expect was sold as a pet quality bengal, as I have learned from this forum, that his rib bar behind his left front leg is not desirable in coat markings. Looking at the glitterglam breeders website I know they do import cats from all over the world for their breeding programmes, USA being mentioned. I thought about contacting them to find out a little about Oscar and who bought him as a kitten but I have this ridiculous irrational thought that it's all a mistake that he ended up a rescue and they will want him back!!!!! Paranoid I know! Anyway greetings from Oscar to his distant American cousin Raiden! :lol:

UK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've gotten almost through Oscar's dad. Will finish it up tomorrow if I can and I'll give you the pedigree for his F generation all the way back to the ALC. Since the breed basically start with Jean Mill and her Millwood cattery, pretty much ALL bengals are related in some way. I'm enjoying this project -- just hope I don't run out of time tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar is an F9 just like my Raiden. Oscar's mom is an F8 and his dad is an F9. I created an Excel spreadsheet with the lineage that leads to the F9 for Oscar that I will be happy to email you (if you have access to Excel) or I can print out and mail to you. Just message me your email or regular address. I highlighted the Champions and Quadruple Champions. Raiden's pedigree is over 144,000 rows. Yours is a whole lot smaller, There are two different ALCs in this particular pedigree.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know I private messaged you but I have to thank you on the forum too. Above and beyond is all I can say. A huge thank you to you Sherry, you have a big heart. :biggrin:

UK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Since ALL the kitties were in the bengal pedigree website, it was so easy to do! I was happy to do this for you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That was very kind of you Sherry, you have a kind heart! I have to agree it is very interesting to go through and find out where each cat comes from ,what lines intersect , and what out crosses were used. I have traced BB's and Jasper's and found B is a F7 but I couldn't get to the bottom of Jaspers, it was very confusing once I got passed a certain point. I look forward to picking through Mochi ' s once I get his pedigree! I have a feeling his will be as tricky as Jasper's.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's honestly not that complicated. There just are a LOT of cats in the pedigree. Raiden has 235 different cats on his dad's side and 297 on his mom's side. The cats repeat throughout the pedigree, however. When you start with 2 parents and 4 grandparents and 8 great grand parents, and on down the line, it really adds up. Raiden has several ALCs in his pedigree but the main one is the Centerwall ALC that Jean Mill started the breed with.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Interesting topic.
I managed to obtain some photo's of Benji's family from breeder websites and it got me wondering about the whole family tree.
Realised just how inter-related a lot of our cats must be!
I got Benji from Angela Christie at Rockytop Bengals and she has relatives from Mainstreet, Absolutely who post up pedigree lines so you can see her cousins, uncles aunts, grandparents!

Was starting to think about doing some cat geneology, beyond the pedigree certificate!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's actually really interesting to me and I have already found myself looking through Mochi's. To my surprise be and BB are both F7's. I expected him to be way down the line because I thought the further away from the ALC the more the markings stand out and become much more clear. I have found out now selective breeding plays just as big a role as the generation. It's mind blowing looking through the pedigrees how many cats Mochi and BB have in common. Mochi and Jasper have even more than the other two.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've often wondered how far away from the ALC the current generations of kittens are. It seems they aren't that far. I do plan to select a few from the breeders' websites and just check. It appears there are enough EGs and some breeders have an ALC to breed with to start over with an F1 generation. Most of Raiden's ALCs were bred with a domestic short haired, however, one was bred with an F4, which starts the F1 generation over again. And ironically, I discovered that while almost all the ALCs are male, Bonzai was a female and was successfully bred with a male Egyptian Mau.

I recently watched the retirement video for Jean Mill. The link was posted on this forum years ago. So interesting actually seeing video of the EGs in Raiden's pedigree and the ones who basically started the whole bengal breed! We are fortunate the breed isn't that old or going back 200 years in a pedigree would be quite difficult. Millwood Penny Ante was a stunning F3. And Jean was handling many of these bengals as if they were well socialized.

I encourage any of you to take the time to go through the bengal pedigree website. If you have your bengals pedigree and some relatives are missing, you can put them in (oldest to newest) and complete the pedigree that way. I had to put in several of Raiden's relatives to get him in here. It also helps to keep the pedigree database up to date. We are fortunate that it's there for us to go back more than 5 generations.