[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - please don't think I am crazy :)
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have an opportunity to take in a 4.5 month old bengal girl. The breeder had planned on keeping her or giving her to a breeder. Here is the thing 1. We have convinced ourselves it's best to have only one cat ( key word convinced) we don't know for sure what would be better for BB. 2. The kitten comes from the same breeder that we got Jasper from. Can you all please give me pros and cons of this situation. Needless to say I WANT a kitten, two bengals are sooo much more fun. I am just having a hard time thinking with a level head and trying to figure out what is best. I love BB dearly and I don't want to upset her but she is getting extremely bored and demanding. I am so confused! And just a side note it will be 2 weeks before we can get her, that will make her 5 months old.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

DO NOT take in a 5 month old girl, BB will hate her. A 20 week old kitten will take a lot longer to adjust to your home than a 13 week kitten, BB will see her as a adult and I guess it will take a long time to get them together.
The last cat from that breeder was scared of your kids, will this one be any better? You have a busy home, not the best place to house two warring cats and get them to settle down.
I was dead against Jasper coming to your home, and was proven right, do not make the same mistake again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have told them no. I think I want another bengal so bad I'm getting desperate but that's not an excuse to think without a level head. I am just not sure what the right option is as far as getting a kitten.
And yes you were right about Jasper, but I tried my best with him. I still feel crushed and try my best not o even think about it. I have learned from that mistake but I honestly didn't think a 20 week old kitten would be viewed as an adult. I guess I have more research to do.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think I tend to agree and would worry for you if it all went pear shaped. I would hate for you to go through all that upset and stress after what you have already been through.

The other question is if you went ahead with it and it didn't work out would the breeder take the kitten back?

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The older kitten is out of the picture all together, as much as I want a kitten I can't bring myself to do that. They actually referred me to a breeder that has four kids as well and has 6 week old kittens. I have until the 23rd to decide if I want her or not. I had no idea this breeder had children or I would have considered her a long time ago. She is one of, if not the best, marble breeder in the US. I clearly have a lot to think about.

Just as a side not I am not actively looking for a kitten. My husband apparently was looking around and sent me a link to the other kitten. I have honestly tried to put it at the back of my mind for the time being. I guess we will see how it plays out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I totally get this I really do, but try not to let your heart rule your head. I too along with Elaine discouraged you from Jasper and am gutted to see how that turned out...but not surprised.

Just take a deep breath and a moment ...you need proper communication with your husband and both of you be on the same page. Already this has jumped in only a day from a 5 month old kitten to a younger kitten, things need to slow down I think. We all sit and look at breeders websites, pictures on facebook, there are so so many beautiful cats out there that it can become like a sweet shop very easily. But we have to be logical about it too...Don't keep jumping in to situations, enjoy BB, let her and your family have adjustment time after Jaspers departure. I worry that these hasty decisions are made with your heart, and therefore I think this is going to cloud your decisions esp about the right cat you are going to add into your family. I think you both need to agree to not actively seek out kittens for a while. X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wasn't going to say anything, and I still probably shouldn't but here it goes...

Most of us here have multi-cat households. I think very few people on this forum have just one. So it's difficult to be judgmental of someone wanting a second cat. I'm pretty committed to keeping 2-3 perpetually I think. And there is something to be said for planning for it, doing it, and making it work. I've never had kids, so I can't necessarily empathize with that particular variable, but aside from that factor, if I were in your shoes, I honestly can't say I wouldn't get another cat (sorry, double or triple negatives there :lol: )

I guess the thing that strikes me though is all the "pinball action". First it's "we need to rehome down to one", then it's "we need to add an EG cat", then it's "we need a young kitten that is well socialized", then it's "no, one cat is optimal, I'd never do that again to BB", then it's "we need to adopt some older kitten because she needs a home". And this is all in the span of a couple of months. So yea, it just seems like a daily whipsaw of out-of-control emotion and impulse.

I personally won't criticize you if you decide to get a second cat (as long as it doesn't result in rehoming BB, if that were to happen then prepare for Armageddon :lol: ), but please at least do it rationally and don't do it on impulse. I think you need to always keep the Jasper experience in the forefront of your mind, learn from that, and if you do get a second get, at least give yourself the very best chance of success.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

In the past year, I periodically see cats I want.
I loved and wanted a particular little Pixie Bob kitten, I loved and wanted a particular Bengal, I loved and wanted a F2 Savannah. I loved and wanted so many dogs and puppies too as well as horses and all sorts of cute and cuddly animals.
Truth is could easily get most of them if I wanted, but I am realistic, I have more than enough cats and dogs and animals to last me for years and why would I make them unhappy, by introducing strange ones into their lives?
I don't want warring cats and dogs for months if not years while they sort themselves out, I do not want to rehome any either.
SO I save the pictures of those cuties that I "cannot do without" onto my hard drive instead...

BB was a happy cat before Jasper and she came out of her shell again when Jasper left, why on earth would you want to muck up things again for her?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for your advice(most of you) but there is NO reason to be so harsh about it and insulting me! I do have impulse control or I would have a bunch of different animals, crazy expensive vehicles, and in debt because I can't control myself. Do I have any of those? No! I do not! Everyone that commented has multiple cats so why are you better than me? I tried my best with Jasper, was it a mistake....no in the long run I don't think so. BB was perfectly content with him and without him. As far as bouncing ideas or situations, these are things either I think of or my family has talked about. I come here to ask to get the opinions of people that have the experience. NOT because I am going to do it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think you are receiving some harsh treatment im afraid, maybe not harsh but definitely condescending, and a little patronising. If you think you can have another kitten without it effecting BB then why not. I think the best thing to do would be to seek out a breeder that is willing to take the kitten back if things don't work out for you or your cat. Animals have an amazing way of forgiving in an instant for the mistakes we make. And i dont think it would have a major impact. From reading your posts it seems that jasper was the 1 that had the problem not BB maybe you notice an improvement in BB since rehoming jasper because you have more time for just her. Good luck on whatever path you choose to take and i really hope things work out for the better for you and your family.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for your well wishes. I'm not going to get a kitten that isn't compatible with our family including BB. I have talked to the breeder and in her contract the only option for rehoming her kitten is them coming back to her. I don't have intentions of rehoming any of my animals EVER. Yes I had to rehome Jasper but that was for his well being. I could have very easily kept him here for my own selfish reasons (which would have been a lot easier) but what kind of life would that have been for him. I think I will just make my decisions on my own and stop bouncing ideas off of this forum. I am obviously being perceived as an out of control person and as some one with no logic at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Good for you like i said i really hope everything works out for the best for all of you do keep us posted on what you decide i think your story is fascinating and i truly believe you will do the right thing wether you choose to get another kitten or not.