It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengal Kitten With FIP
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We have just put our 4 month old kitten to sleep with a diagnosis of FIP. This is something that came on over a 3 to 4 day period. Is this a common thing with the bengal or is it a problem from breeding stage. Absolute devastated today

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry for your loss and can understand the complete devastation you are feeling right now. FIP is not selective to any particular breed. It's nothing you have done wrong either.
If you haven't done so already please let the breeder know so they are aware to keep an eye on any of their other kittens.
FIP is caused by a mutation of the Coronovirus. The virus itself is not uncommon, especially in high density kitten populations, but the mutation causing it to turn to FIP only runs at about 3% and they haven't really figured out why yet.
If you are thinking of getting another kitten, please sterilise all hard surfaces, particularly litter trays etc and wash anything your kitten slept on etc in a hot cycle and wait a minimum of 6 weeks before bringing another kitten in.
If you need someone to talk things through with, please don't hesitate to PM me. I lost 2 adorable (non Bengal) kittens to wet FIP last year and I can empathise completely with what you are going through. Here to help anytime.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry for your loss. Your breeder needs to know and there should be some type of restitution from her -- if the breeder is a good breeder. FIP is something that cannot be prevented, although I hear they are trying to develop something that will. When the virus becomes active, the cat goes down hill extremely fast and there is just nothing that can be done about it. Tracey has given you some excellent tips. The breeder should offer you a discount on a future kitten. I'm not sure I'd want to get another cat from that cattery, although I doubt there is a cattery anywhere on earth that has not experienced a kitten having FIP. Take some time to grieve and heal.

Sending {{{HUGS}}}