It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:11 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:44 pm
Posts: 360
Location: Devon countryside
Don't forget, this is a living thing that is waiting for a new home, NOT a dining table or some other commodity.
Shopping around for the best price shouldn't even enter into it.
If I'm seriously interested in a kitten I've seen on a website, I wouldn't think twice to phone up or email and ask LOTS of questions as well as the price.
Some people just think it vulgar to state the price on their website for a little kitten.
If you suspect that a breeder (or 'dealer' as you put it), is just "seeing what they can get out of each particular buyer", then it's simple to walk away as they aren't in it for the love.
I really don't see what your hang up about this is.

_________________
http://www.bengalcat-ziggianshowcats.co.uk
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:32 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Posts: 18
The people who think its vulgar to put a price on a little kitten are the same people making money out of little kittens?
The scone time I've been picked up on saying dealer instead of breeder, whats your hang up about that?

Like i previously said, some transparency in the adverts/websites would be great, i don't want to have to phone up to find out pretty basic information (chipping included/vaccinations/de-sexing/price) and thats why i won't phone any of these.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:37 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
midge wrote:
The people who think its vulgar to put a price on a little kitten are the same people making money out of little kittens?
The scone time I've been picked up on saying dealer instead of breeder, whats your hang up about that?

Like i previously said, some transparency in the adverts/websites would be great, i don't want to have to phone up to find out pretty basic information (chipping included/vaccinations/de-sexing/price) and thats why i won't phone any of these.


Like I said, your loss....

Personally, I'd view you as a lazy buyer who won't do the right research before looking into getting a kitten....

I make zero money from my kittens, I just about cover my costs. Any money left over after selling them gets ploughed right back into the health screening for the next year... If you think breeders make lots of money from selling kittens you are very misguided. Some manage to make money but most responsible breeders don't make much. Those that do make lots of money are the ones I would never buy from...!

I'm guessing you are not from the UK as you used the term de sex... Maybe that's where some issues lie as it is very common for UK breeders not to have the prices in their website...

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:41 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:22 pm
Posts: 730
I must admit that's my only gripe that I want to know the price because it saves me a lot of time.

When I was looking for my Bengal it was a nightmare, waiting for people to get back to me and then finding out I couldn't afford the kittens. It was very frustrating.

I found a very reputable breeder (nearly typed dealer then :mrgreen: ) who did quote her prices (£500) which I was happy to pay and in fact I think that's an excellent price given that they have full vaccinations etc.

Anyway this is my last post on the matter as don't wish to upset anybody. Let's just say we'll have to agree to disagree.

_________________
Oscar and Jasper (or one ear and two ears as dh calls them) black rescue mogges

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:45 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:47 pm
Posts: 3809
Location: UK
Of course it is everyone's personal opinion as to the type of breeder, they want to give their hard earned cash to.

But i tend to agree with Lollo that many who display prices as if that is the most important thing about the kitten, are not breeders I would ever buy a kitten from.

Personally when looking for a kitten I looked at the kitten itself first, no point in pursuing anything if the kitten itself doesn't look good. I would then look at the parents, look at the pedigree, look at the cattery set up, much can be gleaned just by looking at the pics on the website, I would try then to make my mind as to whether I was really that interested.
I would look at hundreds of kittens on the net before making any decisions, getting a good example of the breed is priority for me.
If I decided I was interested, then I would email first ask if the kitten is still available, no point in wasting a breeder's time, and then make a "date" to phone them up at a prearranged time to speak to them about the kitten.
You pay your money and you take your choice, but choosing on price alone and phoning around dozens of breeders to see who is cheapest, is a dreadful way to choose a kitten IMO.

When I was breeding and selling kittens, anyone whose first question was price was immediately binned.

_________________
Elaine


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:49 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:47 pm
Posts: 3809
Location: UK
midge wrote:
The people who think its vulgar to put a price on a little kitten are the same people making money out of little kittens?


I think you will find that breeders who price their kittens on websites are in fact "the people who are making money out of little kittens"
So if you are happy dealing with those, who view kittens as bits of merchandise, then good luck, you may need it.

_________________
Elaine


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:05 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Posts: 18
I would assume most of the breeders are making money, i would also assume the Breeders with well built websites (and in large with no price listed) are making the most.

What you have just posted is that people who put a price on the kittens make money and the ones who don't, don't, did you read that back to yourself before you posted it?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:21 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
midge wrote:
I would assume most of the breeders are making money, i would also assume the Breeders with well built websites (and in large with no price listed) are making the most.

What you have just posted is that people who put a price on the kittens make money and the ones who don't, don't, did you read that back to yourself before you posted it?



Well you don't know very much about breeding kittens. I have a fancy website that my husband maintains. But we don't make any money from breeding cats. If I did it to make money I would need to sell them from a lot more. Having a fancy website does not equate to making lots of money. It just means you are good with technology. That said, not having a website doesn't make you a bad breeder either... I know plenty of breeders who I respect who don't have a website at all....

And, as you don't contact those breeders that do not display their prices, how do you come to the conclusion that their kittens are more expensive than the ones that do?? I'm guessing that's an assumption based on how things tend to work with other things like Jewellery etc... But that is simply not the case. Enquire about some, you might actually be pleasantly surprised!

I agree with Elaine that the breeders that do put their prices on the website are often, not always though, the ones that do it for money. They are the ones I would avoid buying from.

If all kitten owners thought as you do then many breeders would struggle to sell kittens. This is not the case though as many respected breeders have no issue at all and often have waiting lists for kittens.

Here's an analogy for you: say you want to buy a diamond ring. Do you think the best quality for the price is from a high street chain store that you can see the prices of all of their rings on the Internet. Or do you go to the Jewellery quarter and buy a diamond to have made into a ring....? What would be the better quality item, that will be well made and last as long is it should?

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:38 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Posts: 18
I think you are taking everything personally. I did not say Breeders with websites are more expensive, however you were right to assume that that was what i was getting at, of course i phoned a few of them up thats why i am commenting about it, i phoned 3 Breeders up and after asking many questions and obviously sounding interested to the Breeder i then asked the price and was given 1 price of £800, 1 of £750, and one of £500.

£750 and £800 were unreasonable and i believe the Breeder's heard my excitement after answering the questions to then give me an inflated price, and i believe the reason they did this is because they thought they had 'sold' the cat to me and so they thought they could say any price they wanted and i would buy it, and thats why they don't list the price - because they are salesmen who set the price based on the emotions of the buyer.
I
f someone can give me a different reasonable reason why there is no price on these Breeders websites i will gladly take it.

I wanted the kitten that was £500, and i made arrangements to go and see the kitten on the saturday (it was a wednesday) but the Breeder sold it on the friday (i have no issue with this, i didn't place a holding deposit as i wanted to see it first)

All 3 cats were similarly marked and all were registered with Vaccinations and flea/worm done, neutering not included and papers forwarded on completion of neutering


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:46 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
I think you are wrong to assume that they pick a price dependent on how interested you are. Maybe that reflects on how you think more than how the breeder thinks. Cat breeding is not about getting the maximum for a kitten you think a buyer can afford. It's about finding the best home for your kitten. The home that will provide the love and care needed. I had some very excited people on my list for a kitten, so using your theory I should or could have charged them a lot more.... Simply does not happen with reputable breeders.

I am around many, many breeders at cats shows and I know very well that they don't do that. Not the reputable breeders anyhow.

I would never book a visit for a kitten and then sell the kitten to another person who managed to get there sooner. I'm not sure I agree with doing that. I allow people to view my kittens in the order they enquire for them. I tell them up front how many people are ahead of them in the queue and what kittens are available to choose from.

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:57 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Posts: 18
You certainly shouldn't be charging the most you think someone should pay, as you have suggested you should have a set price, what i can't get my head around is why this set price is a secret? i guess i will never understand.

£800 and £750 were unreasonable for the kittens i was looking at, i will never know if these were the price's that the Breeder's wanted or if they inflated the price because they knew i wanted the kitten, but i think we both know that the price i was given was to much.

With regards to the person not holding the kitten for me to view i have no problem with that, they told me they had someone coming to look at the remainder of the litter and they wouldn't hold any kitten unless a deposit was placed, the people who viewed wanted the same one i wanted so they took him.

After the disappointing experience with what i believe to be inflated prices i shall not phone anyone who doesn't list a price as IMO the only plausible reason there isn't a price is because they make it up as they go along.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:05 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 pm
Posts: 2927
Location: West Midlands, UK
lollo2304 wrote:

I would never book a visit for a kitten and then sell the kitten to another person who managed to get there sooner. I'm not sure I agree with doing that. I allow people to view my kittens in the order they enquire for them. I tell them up front how many people are ahead of them in the queue and what kittens are available to choose from.


I remember enquiring on a kitten going back 4 yrs now, a lovely male kitten id seen on a breeders website as available, so I emailed them, they replied to tell me that they had a viewing booked for the kitten on the Sunday but if I could make it before them and pay the deposit I could have him.
After that I actually didn't want a kitten from that breeder as I thought completely heartless they would in effect allow someone to gazump someone else :-/

_________________
Image
Image
BBUKU Website


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:00 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
midge wrote:

After the disappointing experience with what i believe to be inflated prices i shall not phone anyone who doesn't list a price as IMO the only plausible reason there isn't a price is because they make it up as they go along.


Again, I will tell you that there is nothing to hide. They do not make it up as they go along.

If you were to email me and ask if I had any kittens available, if I screen and what for and how much the kittens are....? Then you will get a price and a lot of information to go with it.

I do not lose out by you or anyone else not contacting me because I have lots of people interested in the kittens anyhow. I could sell 2-3 times as many as I do. And my kittens are excellent! So it is you that loses out, not me!

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:02 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:59 am
Posts: 4129
Location: Leicestershire, UK
Lacemoat wrote:
lollo2304 wrote:

I would never book a visit for a kitten and then sell the kitten to another person who managed to get there sooner. I'm not sure I agree with doing that. I allow people to view my kittens in the order they enquire for them. I tell them up front how many people are ahead of them in the queue and what kittens are available to choose from.


I remember enquiring on a kitten going back 4 yrs now, a lovely male kitten id seen on a breeders website as available, so I emailed them, they replied to tell me that they had a viewing booked for the kitten on the Sunday but if I could make it before them and pay the deposit I could have him.
After that I actually didn't want a kitten from that breeder as I thought completely heartless they would in effect allow someone to gazump someone else :-/


That's awful Claire, I would never do that. I won't take any deposits or reserve kittens until I've met the person in question. I would never allow any gazumping!

_________________
Lollo
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:36 pm
Posts: 18
lollo2304 wrote:
midge wrote:

After the disappointing experience with what i believe to be inflated prices i shall not phone anyone who doesn't list a price as IMO the only plausible reason there isn't a price is because they make it up as they go along.


Again, I will tell you that there is nothing to hide. They do not make it up as they go along.

If you were to email me and ask if I had any kittens available, if I screen and what for and how much the kittens are....? Then you will get a price and a lot of information to go with it.

I do not lose out by you or anyone else not contacting me because I have lots of people interested in the kittens anyhow. I could sell 2-3 times as many as I do. And my kittens are excellent! So it is you that loses out, not me!


Again, give me a reason why you don't list a price?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey