[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - New baby Bengal advice needed!
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:07 pm 
Senior Bengal

I just got my Bengal boy home last night!!! He is sleeping in my lap right now and he's SO adorable I can't stop looking at him. I'll post more pictures later. I have to go out today and buy him some kitten food. In the meantime he has been enjoying leftover Thanksgiving turkey and eating a LOT for such a small kitten. Does anyone have advice on what kind of food I should buy him? We also have two other cats in the house (they are not Bengals!) They have been eating normal dry foods, like Meow Mix or Iams, they are not very fussy.
Do I have to be more particular with the diet of my Bengal? The breeder said I should give him real meat in addition to cat food, especially turkey or chicken, but she suggested avoiding beef as it seems to upset their stomachs. What do the rest of you feed your Bengals?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:27 pm 
Ours have normal tinned kitten meat and dry kitten food and then some fresh cooked chicken occasionally. Other people prefer to feed what's called a "Raw" diet, but I'd rather not get into that discussion again ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:06 am 
The Real Boss

We have two kittens ATM but we had a problem with one, she just wouldn't eat anything and started to loose weight. We tried everything from the most expensive to the cheapest foods and the only thing she really likes is High Life....it's a fish product that stinks the house out. It's a bit rich on its own so we have to mix in some quality dry biscuits (we use Hills Science Plan).

We feed them Hills Science Plan kitten tinned meat in the morning (although our fussy girl doesn't really eat it) and then High Life kitten product mixed with Hills Science Plan dry kitten biscuits in the evening. We also leave a bowl of biscuits (and obviously a bowl of water) out for them all day!

Some people prefer a good quality dry food, it's cheap and cat be left out longer than meat but not all cats will eat dry on its own.

I'd suggest feeding him something he enjoys that doesn't upset his stomach...Watch out for the loose stools in his litter. If he's consistently producing loose stools then change his diet. Just one key point, make sure whatever you feed him is for KITTENS and not adults. Food passes through kittens pretty quickly and the kitten foods have a higher level of nutrients than normal cat food to compensate for this...well, that?s what my vet told me :)

Hope the little fella?s OK....what did you name him in the end?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:28 am 
The Boss

Really you should only give him kitten food (Iams,Hills science plan, Royal canin or any other reputable brand).....usually they all only do one flavor for kittens which is chicken based.....so it's nice and light for their delicate tummies.

Just take a look at the label on the back of the cans, And you'll see that kitten food has more goodness and nutrients than adult cat food.....And I guess baby bengals need it all the more.....with all the extra mischeif they HAVE to get up to! ;) (it's their job.....thats what they do best!)

Real chicken or turkey should be fine too.....don't give him too much though or he'll be in the litter tray all night with the squits! :blink:

As gavin says, Raw diets have been well covered on here in the past.....Some people agree and some don't, It's down to personal preference on that subject really!

Anyways I can't wait to see some more pics of him......I'll bet your glad that long waits over now you've finally got him home?

Our wait was unbearable at times.....Without a bengal on the end of the bed just made ours lives feel empty.....Now we got two though, So things are lively to say the least.....In fact things get a little bit mad around 1am (mainly wrestling and seeing who can thunder up the stairs the fastest.....and believe me they're both fast!) :wacko:

p.s Does the boy have a name yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:48 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

On wit food choices...
MY "bengal babies" loved the "Royal Canin baby cat" -- and they also like Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's soul. As time is passing, however, I'm finding their FAVORITE thing -- is whatever I'm eating... can't KEEP the little rascals out of my plate.

Dagger was stealing green beans, right off my plate, yesterday (grin)
Emma and Dagger both almost climbed into my plate the other day against all my protestations, for of all things, LASAGNE... I guess they must think they are related to Garfield. LOL

Actually, the Eukanuba hair ball formula for adults, also helps, if you notice their stools getting loose. Never ALL adult... but mixed in with the baby foods, really seems to help, if his stool gets runny.

I have more varieties of CAT FOOD in my house, than food for myself. (grin)
And if ANYONE can figure out how to keep them out of my geriatric cat's Science Diet K/D -- which the vet says is sweet, and they think is CANDY... LET ME KNOW !!!

I know you're thrilled to finally have him with you. Looking forward to more photos!!!

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:12 am 
The Boss

<!--QuoteBegin-fancidots+Nov 29 2004, 12:48 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fancidots @ Nov 29 2004, 12:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
As time is passing, however, I'm finding their FAVORITE thing -- is whatever I'm eating... can't KEEP the little rascals out of my plate. [/quote]
Thats so true Lavon.....our youngest WILL and DOES eat anything we're eating.....I know its teaching them bad habits

But when bengals want something....They WILL suceed in achieving their goal, So it's best to give-in early and give them a little.....After all you do belong to them and not the other way around! :P

We have quite a few nicknames for our girls.....one of Tallys is "no-neck" because when she eats it kinda looks like shes got no-neck, She just burries her head in the food and gulps it down.....she's just greedy though and no doubt grow out of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:01 am 
This thread just reminded me - Royal Canin now have a dry food for Bengals, well it doesn't say Bengal on it, but there is a picture of a Bengal on the packet. We bought some, but it's not kitten food, so we'll probably keep it till they get a little older.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:49 am 
Senior Bengal

Hey thanks everyone for all the advice! I have been feeding him lots of turkey, and along with that some dry kitten chow, it is actually Purina kitten chow so maybe I better buy something a better quality. He has been eating it though, but is it bad for him? I'll have to take a look at the pet store with some of the names you've given me.

Nope, no name yet!!! My daughter is making me crazy! I think I'd like to call him Kumahr, but she keeps coming up with all sorts of other names in the meantime...

And yes laVon we are so excited to finally having him!!! I can't stop watching him, at the moment he is being very well behaved and sleeping in my lap, I'm sure this won't last long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:54 am 
Senior Bengal

Here is a picture of his first day at home!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:55 am 
Senior Bengal

He seems to like his cat tree!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh, RED --- He is AMAZING !!!
I know a lot of people are really "hooked" on the rufous (bronze or peanut butter color with red tones) But I think the bengal kittens with the "cooler backgrounds" grow up and keep the HIGH contrast. He is absolutely breath-taking... No WONDER you can't stop looking at him!!!

Don't fret too much, about a name -- you will find yourself having "nicknames" for him according to his personality, anyway -- I know my son keeps hanging "nicknames" on Dagger, then I end up using them, too, because they FIT his crazy personality, so well!

(Right now, Dagger is "Scooby Cat" - like cartoon character, Scooby Doo -- because he so often gets his body moving FASTER than he can pay attention, and ends up looking horribly clumsy!) And even WORSE -- Emma has earned "Scrappy too" because she growls and "talks" when she eats, if anyone gets close.

As I'm sitting here, munching on some Chex Mix -- I had to give BOTH of them a couple of pieces, so they would stop getting between me and my computer screen, "scavanging" for whatever I was eating... and the little rascals ATE them!!! :lol:

Back to your little guy -- it's nice that you sent one photo on the little furry rug, then another in sunlight... it really allows us to SEE his wonderful contrast! Plus I just LOVE that wild little dark nose :) *my personal favorite of the two photos is the one on the rug. (smile)

My Gosh -- What a CUTIE !!

Thanks for getting photos up, so quickly :)

Don't worry about the Purina Kitten chow, I'm sure it won't KILL him. I know one breeder who gives his cats nothing but Purina Products... I personally like to use the high end products, but I read labels, and make sure the MEAT products are the FIRST ingredient.

I've tried EVERYTHING, and they really won't eat a LOT of dry food. Usually ONLY when they get really HUNGRY when I'm not home to feed them something more interesting, will they eat any dry food... but just LET me try to eat a turkey or chicken sandwich... or roast pork, or beef -- and I do good to get A bite, till they are full !! I caught Dagger licking the mayo from my bread, the other day, when I turned around from getting the sandwich meat from the fridge!!! (grin)

Enjoy the "still" moments, while you can... Right NOW, Dagger is BACK on my desk, pacing OVER my hands, as I TRY to type. (They are READY for Mommy to play -- they got SO spoiled while I was off for 4 days.)

Congratulations... he's really a BEAUTY !!!

LaVon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:21 pm 
Red,

he is gorgeous, you must be chuffed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:02 pm 
The Real Boss

He is adorable

Such a little cutie (albeit not for long :lol: )

I Love his little face, he has lovely white/light markings around his eyes and under his chin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

Give your new kitten a hug for me!

He looks sooo cuddly!

I feed all of my cats Innova, it's got alot of meat, protein and fat. It also has no corn, and human-grade meat is the first ingredient. There's regular and lite formula, I feed all of my cats and kittens the regular formula, because it has more of the nutrients kittens need than any of the kitten formulas I've looked at from other brands, and my adult cats haven't gotton fat from it, they're in really good shape.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:42 pm 
Senior Bengal

Thanks again everyone, you are all so helpful! I feel like a proud new mother!
He seems to be adjusting to everything really well and hardly cries anymore at all. Last night we introduced him to our border collie, and they seemed to love each other right away, I didn't expect that at all. This morning the dog was so happy to see the kitten again that she ran and got her toys and shoved them all at the kitten. It's like watching a couple of children at play!

He also for some reason decided to sleep on my husband's head all night! He is such a cuddly purry kitten and loves to snuggle, I am so happy with him. :D

I will check into the different kitten foods too, actually I would have done this before I got the kitty but my breeder mentioned sending food home with me and I misunderstood. She gave me a bag of turkey for the road and I thought she meant kitten food, but that was ok he loves turkey and he devours it so fast I can't believe a little guy like that can eat so much! I won't be having to make any turkey surprize casseroles this year, he is going through it pretty quickly.

Athenscats the Innova sounds good - I will look for that brand at the pet store.

Fancidots thank you for all the compliments on my "baby"! I love the contrast too, I think he is the most handsome little kitten I've ever seen, but then he's the first bengal kitty I've ever had...and I'm sure he won't be the last!