[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Where is everyone?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 4:53 pm 
Senior Bengal

It is so quiet in here, where is everyone? This is a great website, I've been posting on catfancy forums, and lately getting "beat up" for buying a bengal. Apparently some people feel you should only get cats from shelters. I'm sure nobody here feels the same or none of us would have bengals. But, where are you all hiding?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:55 pm 
The Boss

I'm still here Red.....Just been a little busy lately! :blink:

As for people beating you up over buying a Bengal.....Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'd love a cat from a shelter just as much as you'd love a Bengal

Did they all get rescue cats?

And just the fact you paid for your cat doesn't mean you don't care about unwanted felines.....maybe they're all just jealous of the fact you've got your very own urban leopard! B)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My bengal and my one of my rescue cats are looking at me for attention right now, so I'll make this quick.

I haven't been around much lately, real life has kept me busy :blink:

Don't let anyone beat you up over your choice of pets. I've got a Bengal and I've 2 rescue cats. Slash came from a shelter and Emma we pick up off the street as a ragged dirty flea bitten scrawny little kitten. Now she's clean and healthy and chubby and runs the house! No one can say I haven't done my part! I still regularly give to shelters, money, food, old sheets and towels and I've adopted from a shelter. I feed a feral kitten daily. I'm also trying to catch her so I can have her (or him?) fixed and vaccinated. She's (he?) probably too old to be tamed but I can't let her starve and breed more ferals!

I'll adopt another cat from a shelter when the time is right. I'll also probably buy another Bengal. Just ignore the idiots who give you guff about having a pure breed cat. I wonder if they do half as much for the cats as I do?

L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:22 pm 
I'm still here, obviously, otherwise the site wouldn't be :P

People often look disgusted when they find out you have a pedigree cat, I'm sure they don't have any appreciation that a Bengal isn't any *ordinary* cat..... I'm sure there must be loads of pedigree's about, you just don't realise because people don't let them out generally....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

<!--QuoteBegin-Gavin+Nov 6 2004, 08:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gavin @ Nov 6 2004, 08:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I'm still here, obviously, otherwise the site wouldn't be :P

People often look disgusted when they find out you have a pedigree cat, I'm sure they don't have any appreciation that a Bengal isn't any *ordinary* cat..... I'm sure there must be loads of pedigree's about, you just don't realise because people don't let them out generally.... [/quote]
Have you noticed that the owners of pedigreed dogs don't get the same reaction from people as the owners of pedigreed cats do?

The statement, "Oh, I have a black lab and a jack russell terrier" doesn't get nearly the same reaction as "I have a Bengal (Maine Coon, Siamese etc)." I've gotten "You PAID for a cat??" reaction from a friend. Oh, so it's ok to pay for a pure breed dog but not a cat?

If someone can figure out the reasoning behind that logic please let me know. I can't figure it out for the life of me.

L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:32 am 
The Real Boss

Me to, I'm still here, just really busy. I've been putting together our website <a href='http://www.nordiquestar.co.uk' target='_blank'>www.nordiquestar.co.uk</a> (which will have a link to these forums ;) ) we've also just been to the Ocicat & Bengal Cat Show (UK) where Evvie did really well, 2nd in the Open (7 rosettes in total) Tally came 3rd in the open but growled at any judge who picked her up (v.embarrasing :lol:) we are also preparing for a show this weekend.

On top of that I had to prepare for a workshop that I was putting on at the Agile Business Conference in London (Oct 28 - 29) as part of my PhD.

Soooo, I'm still alive just real busy! Nice to know you guys are still here

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:23 am 
The Real Boss

Hello again....appologies up front for the long post but I want to tell you my story...

I?m a great lover of animals and have also rescued a cat, it was quite a sad story really. I have a Shetland pony which I keep at my parents and every night after work I use to go and muck out (my niece does it now). Anyway, a middle aged couple moved in across the road from my parents and they had a cat. I use to see the cat every day sat scrunched up in the door way. After a few months my mum told me that she had started feeding this cat as the new neighbours had told her that it wasn?t aloud in the house as it had started messing outside of the litter. Winter approached and I was starting to get really upset as it was cold windy and very wet and every evening this cat would be scrunched up in the freezing door way (bare in mind this cat was 17 years old) Eventually in November I couldn?t take it anymore and kidnapped her, she really was in a state (see pic)

Macy-The night I kidnapped her

I called her Macy as she was so emaciated, she had fleas and god knows what else. We bathed, flea?d and wormed her and introduced her to Reggie our Bengal who did not appreciate her at all (although they eventually learnt to tolerate each other). We took her to the vets who told us she was deaf, blind and had skin cancer on her ears (apparently this is common in white cats that spend most of their time in the sun) he said she was poorly but because of her age there wasn?t anything he could really do. We told him we just wanted to give her a comfy warm retirement. She stayed with us for two months and then one day when we got up she was sat in the chair which she had pee?d on. I knew something was wrong so I picked her up and tried to make her stand but her legs collapsed. Within 10 mins she had passed away. To say I cried was an understatement, I was absolutely devastated. The sad thing was, my parents neighbours never told anyone that their cat was missing?. they simply didn?t care. I was just so glad the we were able to give her a bit of comfort for her last few weeks!

Anyway, I think the fact that we have all paid a lot of money for our cats shows that we are all animal lovers, I unfortunately can?t visit shelters as I?d have to bring all the cats home, but If I ever came across another ?Macy? cat I do it all again.

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:31 pm 
The thing that really annoys me about these people, protesting that you should only get a cat from a shelter, is that they seem to think that these cats take priority over pedigree's. Whether a cat is a pedigree or from a shelter they all need a home, so what is their problem, as long as the cat in question is well looked after.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:34 pm 
Senior Bengal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:55 pm 
The Boss

^^Amen to that Siobhan! ;) ^^

I couldn't of said it better myself.....some people just don't think before they speak!

Normally the do-gooders are the main offenders.....they actually do more harm than good towards the cause

As Heidi said we do our bit and would never walk away from any cat in need of care regardless of its breed,colour,age or condition

And I'm sure you all would too.....just the fact we all post messages and photos on here shows we love and cherish our babies.....I don't believe for one moment that any one of us could walk on by.....whilst a cat is being mis-treated, neglected or in need of a little food or loving!

Take a look at Fancidots collection of felines (I've lost count how many she has now :P ).....She now needs a bigger bed as there is no room for her as a result of her love for cats.....Now thats true devotion right there!

Anyways just because people don't always mention what they do to help unwanted or homeless cats, Doesn't mean they don't do anything at all.....we all have our storys to tell, whether rescuing strays or just donating some food to your local shelter.....just ignore the do-gooders and keep doing your thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:01 pm 
The Boss

<!--QuoteBegin-red+Nov 7 2004, 02:34 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (red @ Nov 7 2004, 02:34 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
[/quote]
Forgot to say.....He looks a handsome boy you got there Red.....give him a little stroke under his chin from meemonkey! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:47 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

:D
Hi Everyone,

RED -- CUTE BABY --- what's his name???

I'm still here, TOO :) I've been very busy TRYING to sew a set of *cage curtains* for Dagger's next show (next weekend) and a SEAMSTRESS I am NOT !!! (cat lady, yes, seamstress NO)

To top it off, my 4 bengals and 2 of my 6 rescues have been bound and determined to HELP me, every time I get out fabric, pins, measuring tape, sewing machine, iron... anything to do with the production of sewing ANYTHING...

If they aren't LAYING on it, they are pulling the pins out, or trying to "strum" my thread as I attempt (yes ATTEMPT) to baste the different pattern pieces together. Or, trying to pull the fabric off the ironing board while I TRY to iron it ???

I even almost had a whisker catastrophe with Dagger sticking his NOSE in my sewing machine WHILE IT WAS RUNNING (YIKES) to try to CATCH the MOVING needle with his teeth???? What was he thinking???

Meemonkey -- thanks for the kind words, regarding my affinity for my cats. There are 10 in all (One who REFUSES to socialize with the others, who I've built a nice little "home" for, on my screened in porch) NINE who live indoors with me. One sleeps with my son... I RARELY sleep with LESS than 5 or 6 on my bed -- ONE on my PILLOW, holding my head down with his paw (grin)

Then the others lounge or nap on the various cat trees I have adorning the "decor" of every room in my home EXCEPT my bathrooms (LOL)

As I said, I have 6 "rescues" in all -- and 4 bengals. And love every one of them!!!

And, if anyone wonders what ELSE I've been doing (grin) Other than working full time, and TRYING to keep things picked up behind the FURKIDS...(when I'm not preparing food for them) ... they OBVIOUSLY haven't ever lived with 9 cats indoors. ALL of whom demand "mommy time" -- sometimes at the MOST in-opportune moments. :P

And, for those of you who haven't read many of my posts -- ALL of my cats (even the Bengals) are neutered or spayed... so I'm not contributing to the population -- not that I have ROOM on my BED for more kittens (grin)

I do participate in rescue, when I can help -- and donate to a no-kill rescue organization when I can, as well.

So -- when people "flame" me, for having BREED kittens, I simply laugh...

And Heidi --- if you've read this far (grin) BLESS YOU for rescuing and LOVING Macy during her final days... I can see you and I are kindrid spirits. (smile) Moonlight - my "screen porch kitty" came to me in similar circumstances, only she was a YOUNG mother who brought her 2 kittens to me from a neighbor's house... starving, dehydrated, covered in fleas, and with URI... I vetted them, cared for them, and found the kittens a home... while Moonlight made it clear she didn't want to LEAVE... but didn't want to live indoors, so I built her a little "home" inside my screened porch, and keep her safe, and well cared for - despite her distaste for my INDOOR FELINE ZOO... (grin) I am thankful that only a few weeks a year, the weather is just TOO cold to leave her out there, and I bring her into my "guest room" to keep her warm and healthy.... She has been with me for 6 years, now... and is perfectly content in her "private suite" :rolleyes:

Laura -- I have an "Emma" too :) She is Dagger's little sister, who the breeder gave to me, because she did not want to separate her from Dagger - the two of them are VERY BONDED... and right now (as I write this) are terrorizing the adult cats, because after dinner and a nap, they are ready for the Bengal 500 race that goes on every evening, before "bedtime"

OH... one more thing -- a couple of photos -- one of Emma, being arrogant (grin)

And, one of Dagger doing his vulture impression from my 6'6" tall curio cabinet

Well -- I've ran ON and ON... sorry for the long post...

Keep those furbabies safe and warm and full of "yummies" ;)

LaVon
"fancidots"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:26 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey guys!

I lurk more than anything, to be honest... ^_^; I just don't spend a lot of time online outside of work since the computer really gets to my eyes. (I draw on my computer at work, so that's a lot of time staring without blinking at the screen - can we say ouch?!)

Anyways, I've gotten those kind of looks too, when taking my Yuki to the vet, and also on a few forums for not saving another shelter cat instead.

The thing is, my other two cats are rescues.. my beautiful, and very spoiled (and #1 cat! LOL) is my sweet Sasami. She was at a VERY high kill shelter. I'm very thankful that I saved my tattered lil' blue gal. :)

Here she was then:

<-- LOOK AT THAT TINY FOOT!!! :)

And here's a bunch of pics of her, lol... along with her as an adult. :)

<a href='http://www.nutkitty.com/sasami/sasami.html' target='_blank'>http://www.nutkitty.com/sasami/sasami.html</a>

I also have a lovely little tortie, but I can't remember where I have her pics online at the moment.. in a rush, lol... she's in the photo section of this forum though, I believe. Kinomi is adorable! An absolute MUSHBALL!!! :)

Anyways, having a bengal doesn't mean that you have something against strays, etc... I didn't plan on getting a third cat at all. The ONLY event that I was going to get a third cat was if it was a bengal, which I had wanted for years. Yes, years.

About three years ago, I had my chance to get my first bengal, but I ended up getting my shelter babies instead. I do not regret it.

I also do not regret buying Yuki, my bengal. He is an absolute HANDFUL, and wow.. the personality! He's always making me laugh, and he NEVER SHUTS UP, which is ok.

Anyways, I love all of my cats. I'm never going to feel bad for owning a purebred cat. It's not as if there aren't purebred cats in shelters as well... which is sad.

The REAL problem is people being irresponsible and not getting their animals spayed and nuetered, or throwing away their pets when they decide they don't want them any longer. THOSE are the REAL culprits.

http://www.nutkitty.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You have some wonderful photos of Sasami

(Don't think ANYONE can charge you with NOT spoiling YOUR cats rotten :)
She seems to be Smiling in that last photo :)

Even if she is a "rescue" -- she appears to have a lot of Russian Blue in her linage...

You took a "diamond in the rough" as a kitten -- and have obviously spoiled her into being a most precious family member!

You mentioned "drawing" on your computer at work --- I'm a designer, and use AutoCad a LOT in my job -- so I can certainly relate :blink:

Thanks for sharing!
LaVon
"fancidots"