[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - What an indoor cat misses...
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thoughts?

1513317_771609659520508_951538887_n.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's pretty much why I keep mine indoors.

I also understand why people would want to let their cats outdoors though and I do feel guilty that I keep mine indoors and that they are missing out so much on what is very natural to them.

I am sure if I let them out they would never look back but I'd be left worried sick. So basically it's selfishness mostly on my part I guess that I keep them indoors.

People who let their cats out could come up with an equally convincing list as to why they should go out.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Exactly.

I don't feel guilty about keeping them indoors. They have room to run, they hunt the occasional bug, ball on the ball game on TV, and a mouse once. They have plenty of clean food and water and they are safe. They know unconditional love. Some of them know some of those things because they were strays or ended up with a rescue because they were outside, none are eager to get out.

I think of my Max, who was outside for who knows how long before animal comtrol picked him up. I put a leash on him and took him in the yard for exercise. He promptly vomited in my garden and bolted to the back door crying to be let in.

I don't think the grass is greener on the other side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:14 pm 
Senior Bengal

I would like to let my kids experience the great outdoors when they are leash trained. I would worry if they were out by themselves. Not just because they're young but because they could get into fights or be taken by strangers looking for a free Bengal cat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

As a person who lets their cats out, the way this article is worded is quite judgemental and insinuates anyone who lets their cats out is in someway a bad, cruel person.

I was very reluctant to let our boys out, however we tried leash training and whilst one took to it really well, it felt like we were torturing the other one. Whilst I worry about many of the things on the list shown, I try to keep them as safe as possible by only letting them out when we are home and I can keep an eye on them.

I still worry months on whilst they are out, but I also see their enjoyment of the big outdoors when they are playing in the garden, chasing leaves, flies and each other, climbing trees and just being cats really. So I am glad I didn't deprive them of this now. It doesn't mean I love them any less than someone who keeps them indoors and would be totally devastated if something did happen to them.

We don't keep our children locked up 24/7 and there are perils for each and every one of us when we step outside the door every day.

Does letting our boys out really make us bad people?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Since I just read the post about a bengal who got out and was killed by a dog, reading the above brings tears to my eyes. I've lost many outdoor moggies over the past 5 decades. They disappeared without a trace and I don't know what happened to them. My bengal belonged to a neighbor who let him roam the great outdoors. He got into a lot of cat fights and had to be taken several times to the vet because the wounds became infected. Raiden's ear is torn from one of these fights. After the last one, which happened while the owner was out of town and Raiden came to my back door and I rushed him to the vet, the neighbor gave me Raiden and I decided he would become an indoor cat. That did not sit well with Raiden since he was used to the outdoors, so I bought a harness and leash and we started walking. He loves it. We went a step further in creating a large enclosure on our deck which he can access 24/7.

We have a problem cat (that he's fought with many times) that comes around to aggravate Raiden when he is in his enclosure and I've had to deal with that for a year and finally that cat attacked me in August -- I'm still going around with the neighbors on keeping that cat indoors. I finally sent them a letter stating I was going to capture their cat and drop him off at Animal Control and inform them about the cat attack (which cost me 5 visits to the doctor, 3 antibiotics, and several hundred dollars that I told the owner I didn't want them to have to pay for -- now I wish I had). I love cats, but this one is a complete nuisance and he's got to go!

A lot of people believe cats should have the freedom to roam -- and maybe that's why they say cats have nine lives. They will need them out there in that big world! It's a personal decision to let your cat roam the big outdoors, but there are alternatives. If they don't like walking on a leash, then create a safe enclosure for them in your yard. Never let them be outside unsupervised (I found that in the breeder's contract for Raiden). Know that you can never outrun a cat .... and that things can happen in an instant. Yesterday, a dog ran up to us (he had escaped through the front door opening up). Raiden was terrified and puffed himself up. The dog, I feel, simply was curious. I picked up Raiden and we walked away .... but it could have turned deadly if the dog had been aggressive ... so even being outdoors with your cat under control can have consequences.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

All I was trying to say is that by the list focusing on the negatives, if I now admit I let my cat out (as I have done), it makes me appear a bad owner and by definition I am being judged on that. That's just how it made me feel!

To clarify, our cats are only allowed out when we're home, I constantly check where they are, I find them if I can't see them, I keep them up to date with inoculations and they are flea'd and wormed regularly. I don't let them out if I see an unfriendly cat or a fox, they are certainly not allowed out over night. They are microchipped and they also wear quick release collars with our details on just in case. I don't chuck them out regardless if it is cold or wet, I'm much more likely to keep them in.

I'm lucky that we live in a quiet cul-de-sac with no through traffic and back onto loads of other gardens plus our cats don't roam too far, they are always within earshot and usually come running if they are called.

Obviously I can't stop all the things on that list from happening to them, but this is the compromise I've had to come to (in my particular situation) and I try to keep them as safe as I can within the above parameters.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:21 am 
Bengal Cat

All reasons why I wanted Loki to be an indoor cat.
My friends and my family thought I was being cruel for keeping him indoors and put a lot of pressure on me to let him out. I tried to make the house an exciting place for him with cat shelves and trees, and hiding treats around when I went out. But he escaped a lot and got a taste of being outdoors. He would meow at the door non-stop to go outside.

Eventually I gave in and now I let him go outside as long as I'm home. My flatmates say things like: See, he loves being outside he's so happy now. What they don't realise is I feel panicky and anxious until he gets back. Maybe I'm being an overprotective parent, but he is so friendly to everyone, he just walks up to strangers, and goes into the neighbour's houses. Stealing him would be easy.

Cats need stimulation and I couldn't provide that to him as an indoor cat. But as an outdoor cat there is so much that could go wrong. Quality of life over quantity?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with you Clare.

There are good reasons for both sides of the argument.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

A few years ago I moved to a house with a large screened in patio from a condo in a high rise. I thought my old Siamese would love this, but she rarely ventured out. I don't think her old eyes could see the screens and she was too timid. She's passed on now but my new kittens adore going out on the patio especially in the evening and early morning when it's still dark. That's when all the birdlife gather around the lake and the area is alive with nature sounds. Spending time on the patio has really helped calm my kitties down. They come inside when they have had enough. They seem so happy and I am glad they enjoy their new home. They are micro chipped, current on all vaccines and I apply Revolution monthly. I keep an eye on them and make sure the outside doors are closed securely before letting them out. I don't think I could let them outside the enclosure for many reasons. My sister lives in a quiet area of the FL Keys and has let her cats out for years. They all made their way home safely and lived till 20, so I think every situation is different depending on the environment and the cat's personality.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:23 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My two Bengals go outside as they please. I wouldn't have it any other way. I am lucky enough to live in a quiet safe suburb where the cats have learnt to become more streetwise than I ever thought they would. I worry if they are out for exceptionally long periods but generally this doesn't happen. I think I would be a bad bengal owner if I denied them their freedom which they love and are happier more content cats because of it.
I also think a lot of the problems people write in to this forum for advice about are caused as a result of keeping cats indoors all the time such as inappropriate peeing, yowling, general misbehaving. I believe, as Bengals are part wild they need an outlet for this aspect of their character and allowing them their freedom provides this outlet either via a large enclosure if not living in a suitable area or by just letting them roam.
I know I wouldn't have it any other way.
Hx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:24 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's just so sad when someone posts that their kitty was killed by a dog or kicked by a horse or hit by a car, or even one was stolen right out of their front yard. Those kitties would still be with us had they not been allowed to roam unsupervised. Cats are quite perceptive but they cannot know all the dangers that are out there. Coyotes roam the woods behind my house and have been in the backyards of homes on the street behind me. I hear them howling at night. I live near a busy street (one stray I was feeding ended up dead on the side of that road after being hit by a car). I'm fiercely protective of Raiden because I feel responsible for him. He chose me .... not the other way around. I truly hope those kitties who venture outdoors live long and happy lives. There's nothing wrong with that. Cats have roamed outdoors since the beginning of time. I'm happy more and more cat owners are realizing that cats can be completely happy indoors, especially if you catify your house so their needs are met (I'm reading the book "Catification" by Jackson Galaxy right now). I just know Raiden would find trouble at every corner if I just let him roam free. He hates other cats, especially males and is ready to rumble ... only he usually gets the worst end of a fight. I changed that once I took ownership of him and I feel our daily walks and his large enclosure are enough for him. At least I know he's safe and I don't worry whether or not he will return home. You are not a bad cat owner if you let your cat outdoors .... it's what you think your cat needs. Every parent decides how to raise their children ... it's the same with our pets.