It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:00 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 5
The RSPCA no longer take animals from the public they only take 'RSPCA generated' animals, whatever that may mean. They charge high 'donations' from the few people they deem fit to buy one of their animals. Surely a minimum donation is a sale price and therefore they should be subject to the pet shop regulations?

RSPCA are criticised across the board, including by many rescues and wildlife hospitals. Take a look at

SHG
http://the-shg.org

RSPCA-Animadversion
http://rspca-animadversion.org.uk

RSPCA Injustice Blog
http://www.rspcainjustice.blogspot.com/

SHG Press releases
http://the-shg.org/SHGPressReleases.htm

and if after reading that lot you think that charities should be properly regulated then please consider signing and sharing the petitition for a charities ombudsman


http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/645

Create a Charities Ombudsman

Responsible department: Cabinet Office

This petition calls on the government to create a Charities Ombudsman with the power to deal with complaints about charities and the authority to order a charity to provide adequate redress if a complaint is upheld.. The Charity Commission is unable to get involved in a wide range of complaints because they are not within its remit. If a complainant is dissatisfied with the outcome of a Charity's own internal complaints procedure their only remaining option is the legal system. With legal aid being cut drastically this is beyond the reach of the majority of people. Many charities are now running services or even acting as law enforcement agencies, so it is important that they are seen to be properly regulated and to have an effective and objective independent external complaints procedure. We want Parliament to debate this issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:36 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Surrey, UK
Fenris wrote:
The RSPCA no longer take animals from the public they only take 'RSPCA generated' animals, whatever that may mean.


This is actually untrue. The RSPCA's aims are to help animals in distress or who are without an owner/in danger. Whilst the society will take in animals from a private home, there is often such a long waiting list because there are so many other animals who are abandoned or the subject of cruelty or neglect that require immediate help (these are RSPCA generated animals). Our Inspectors face daily battles just to find places for the really needy animals so there is little space for those animals whose owners don't want them any more.

Unfortunately also, because of "case" animals (where the animal is part of an investigation) these animals have to be be kept in an RSPCA centre for 2 reasons - as "evidence" but also if the case is rejected by the court, then these animals have to be returned to their original owner, even if they have abused/neglected the animal. The only way this cannot happen is if the owner/s voluntarily sign over the animal to the RSPCA.

I know that the RSPCA get a lot of bad press, but there is so much going on in the background that people never get to hear about. These days, too many people think that pets are things that are "disposable" and so many pets end up being turfed out on the streets. Locally, we had a litter of puppies abandoned (at about 4 weeks old) but these have all now got loving new homes - thanks to many local people offering homes and the ever in-the-firing line home checkers.

Before having a go at any charity, please think about all the normal people behind the scenes who would love to change the way things work, but can't because of Government and other red tape. All front-line staff & volunteers do this for the love of the animals (although I agree that some older homecheckers need a lot of re-training) and we are always fighting against bad press.

Sorry to go on, but this is a subject that means a great deal to me, and listening to bad press and people making assumptions really makes my blood boil as the good work never gets the same amount of coverage.

_________________
Image


Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:42 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Surrey, UK
Fenris wrote:
T

RSPCA are criticised across the board, including by many rescues and wildlife hospitals. Take a look at

SHG
http://the-shg.org

RSPCA-Animadversion
http://rspca-animadversion.org.uk

RSPCA Injustice Blog
http://www.rspcainjustice.blogspot.com/

SHG Press releases
http://the-shg.org/SHGPressReleases.htm



I would like to also add that a lot of the above are woefully out of date. I'm not having a go in any way personally, but if you wish to read these, please check out the dates of the articles.

The Animal Welfare Act has recently changed and the RSPCA have many more powers of entry now.

_________________
Image


Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 5
http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2010/Apr2 ... /rspca.htm

A MEMO leaked to the press has suggested that from May 4, the RSPCA will only accept ‘RSPCA generated’ animals into is regional rescue centres, potentially leaving as many as 75,000 unwanted animals a year without the prospect of finding a home.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:08 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 5
shebajet wrote:
Fenris wrote:
T

RSPCA are criticised across the board, including by many rescues and wildlife hospitals. Take a look at

SHG
http://the-shg.org

RSPCA-Animadversion
http://rspca-animadversion.org.uk

RSPCA Injustice Blog
http://www.rspcainjustice.blogspot.com/

SHG Press releases
http://the-shg.org/SHGPressReleases.htm



I would like to also add that a lot of the above are woefully out of date. I'm not having a go in any way personally, but if you wish to read these, please check out the dates of the articles.

The Animal Welfare Act has recently changed and the RSPCA have many more powers of entry now.


Please cite where in the AWA the RSPCA are granted ANY powers?

The AWA, although sponsored by the RSPCA just like the 1911 Act, gave absolutely NO powers to the RSPCA. It gave what powers it created to a local authority (council) appointed "inspector" (NOT an RSPCA inspector) and to the police.

Please also state what information is out of date on the sites quoted? I note that your quote left out the petition link.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/645

Do you not think that a charities ombudsman who could nip problems and dissatisfaction with any charity would be a good idea?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:08 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Surrey, UK
Ok everyone - an apology before I start. I do not normally get annoyed on these forums as everyone has an opinion. BUT, in relation to the above post, I really must protest. As many of you know, I "work" for the RSPCA as a homechecker, committee member and regional board member, but even I had no personal connection with the RSPCA, I would still feel the same way.

1. The AWA is a legal document, following an Act of Parliament. Although the act was made following the RSPCA's involvement and their need to spend money to make studies and recommendations to help the Government, the Act is NOT sponsored by the RSPCA.

2. If you beleive all "leaked memo's" that are published online, you would beleive that martians have taken over the planet, all MP's are as white as the driven snow and Father Christmas really exists.

3 I have posted a link below (from the RSPCA site - which was the easist place to get the required info) stating that the INspectors Do have powers to act.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/in-action/chang ... welfareact

4. What the RSPCA are trying to do with the Government Act is issue warning notices and advice to owners who are perhaps not as fully aware of their pet's needs as they should be. The RSPCA do not, and will not, issue notices to "owners" who abuse or wilfully neglect their pet/s.

5. The "Inspectors" are actual RSPCA Inspectors who receive many years of training; and the serious cases are certainly not dealt with by untrained council/LG officials.

6. There are other roles within the inspectorate such AWO's (Animal welfare officer) who deal mainly with giving advice and such like, and issuing notices for non-serious issues.

7. The fully-trained Inspectors are the men and women who deal with the serious cases and or removal of animal/s from the home etc. They have the full power and backing of both the society and the government.

8. I said that some of the website information was out of date on many of the quoted and linked sites - some going back 10 years in their reports. In no way am I saying that the websites themselves are out of date.

9. I delibrately left out the petition link as this is NOT out of date - therefore I did not see the point of including this as this would not have been what I meant.

10. If there was an ombudsman or similar for charities, then any money that the charity collects, a proportion of which would have to be paid to the said ombudsman. If you donate to charity - would you want your hard earned money going to pay for some beaurocrats in their offices?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against the idea (for all charities) at all, but in this day & age when charity donations are down as more people have less cash, then surely all the money someone gives should go direct to the charity? If the ombudsman could be run as a voluntary organisation (and be independent) with no costs then this would be a very good idea.

I am really upset that you are taking this attack on a charity that helps animals when you are posting on a site where everyone is on here because they love cats - and many of us love other animals too.

Yes, the RSPCA has many downsides (as does almost any other charity/organisation) that need to be addressed but the society who has helped countless animals over the years who would either have died or been left without love/food/comfort etc otherwise cannot be doing all wrong.

The issue on not taking in (non RSPCA generated) animals is because the regional centres are full to overflowing with RSPCA generated animals that they literally do not have the space to take in any other animals.

If you have any real concerns then can I suggest that you either:

1. Write to your local RSPCA branch and get involved and find out what is really going on and then you'll see how difficult things are

2. Write to your MP (if s/he's not busy with his/her secretary)

3. Write to the National Society (ie RSPCA) themselves at their head office - address is on the website. Easy to find - google RSPCA

4. I can give you my email via PM and you can put all your concerns in an email and I will take it to my next Regional Board meeting and ask them to present it at the next Society council meeting (mid-2012), after which someone will respond to your concerns

5. If you do none of the above, then you do not obviously care about the animals that need help, but are only here to try and cause havoc and take over a thread for your own self-importance, but I'm sure that's not the reason.

I am really sorry if I have offended anyone as that is not my intention, but having worked on the "other side" I know how desperate many animals are when they come into RSPCA centres; I know how hard all the Inspectors, AWO's and ACO's (animal collection officer) work and what they see on a daily basis. Things that most of us could probably not even have nightmares about.


Please, please whatever your views on RSPCA (or any other chairty) make sure that you understand how little charity funds there are around at the moment, and that every charity has to make tough choices on what to focus on and where their best work should be done.

_________________
Image


Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:12 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Surrey, UK
Just to add - I see that you have only posted 3 posts since joining - all on this thread. Strange.

Have you not introduced yourself yet or put pics up of your beloved Bengals (or other cats). Be lovely to hear more about you and your kitties.

Welcome to BCF :D

_________________
Image


Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:38 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 5
shebajet wrote:
Just to add - I see that you have only posted 3 posts since joining - all on this thread. Strange.

Have you not introduced yourself yet or put pics up of your beloved Bengals (or other cats). Be lovely to hear more about you and your kitties.

Welcome to BCF :D


By all means hint of 'strangeness' when confronted by facts that do not fit your worldview. An odd habit of RSPCA supporters.

As it happens I have spent the last week rehoming a dog and very elderly cat left by an elderly man who died. I rather thought their welfare came before posting personal details.

They have, however, been rehomed together - a success I think. Perhaps altogether too strange . . . . .


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:05 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:38 pm
Posts: 5
shebajet wrote:
Ok everyone - an apology before I start. I do not normally get annoyed on these forums as everyone has an opinion. BUT, in relation to the above post, I really must protest. As many of you know, I "work" for the RSPCA as a homechecker, committee member and regional board member, but even I had no personal connection with the RSPCA, I would still feel the same way.

1. The AWA is a legal document, following an Act of Parliament. Although the act was made following the RSPCA's involvement and their need to spend money to make studies and recommendations to help the Government, the Act is NOT sponsored by the RSPCA.

2. If you beleive all "leaked memo's" that are published online, you would beleive that martians have taken over the planet, all MP's are as white as the driven snow and Father Christmas really exists.

3 I have posted a link below (from the RSPCA site - which was the easist place to get the required info) stating that the INspectors Do have powers to act.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/in-action/chang ... welfareact

4. What the RSPCA are trying to do with the Government Act is issue warning notices and advice to owners who are perhaps not as fully aware of their pet's needs as they should be. The RSPCA do not, and will not, issue notices to "owners" who abuse or wilfully neglect their pet/s.

5. The "Inspectors" are actual RSPCA Inspectors who receive many years of training; and the serious cases are certainly not dealt with by untrained council/LG officials.

6. There are other roles within the inspectorate such AWO's (Animal welfare officer) who deal mainly with giving advice and such like, and issuing notices for non-serious issues.

7. The fully-trained Inspectors are the men and women who deal with the serious cases and or removal of animal/s from the home etc. They have the full power and backing of both the society and the government.

8. I said that some of the website information was out of date on many of the quoted and linked sites - some going back 10 years in their reports. In no way am I saying that the websites themselves are out of date.

9. I delibrately left out the petition link as this is NOT out of date - therefore I did not see the point of including this as this would not have been what I meant.

10. If there was an ombudsman or similar for charities, then any money that the charity collects, a proportion of which would have to be paid to the said ombudsman. If you donate to charity - would you want your hard earned money going to pay for some beaurocrats in their offices?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not against the idea (for all charities) at all, but in this day & age when charity donations are down as more people have less cash, then surely all the money someone gives should go direct to the charity? If the ombudsman could be run as a voluntary organisation (and be independent) with no costs then this would be a very good idea.

I am really upset that you are taking this attack on a charity that helps animals when you are posting on a site where everyone is on here because they love cats - and many of us love other animals too.

Yes, the RSPCA has many downsides (as does almost any other charity/organisation) that need to be addressed but the society who has helped countless animals over the years who would either have died or been left without love/food/comfort etc otherwise cannot be doing all wrong.

The issue on not taking in (non RSPCA generated) animals is because the regional centres are full to overflowing with RSPCA generated animals that they literally do not have the space to take in any other animals.

If you have any real concerns then can I suggest that you either:

1. Write to your local RSPCA branch and get involved and find out what is really going on and then you'll see how difficult things are

2. Write to your MP (if s/he's not busy with his/her secretary)

3. Write to the National Society (ie RSPCA) themselves at their head office - address is on the website. Easy to find - google RSPCA

4. I can give you my email via PM and you can put all your concerns in an email and I will take it to my next Regional Board meeting and ask them to present it at the next Society council meeting (mid-2012), after which someone will respond to your concerns

5. If you do none of the above, then you do not obviously care about the animals that need help, but are only here to try and cause havoc and take over a thread for your own self-importance, but I'm sure that's not the reason.

I am really sorry if I have offended anyone as that is not my intention, but having worked on the "other side" I know how desperate many animals are when they come into RSPCA centres; I know how hard all the Inspectors, AWO's and ACO's (animal collection officer) work and what they see on a daily basis. Things that most of us could probably not even have nightmares about.


Please, please whatever your views on RSPCA (or any other chairty) make sure that you understand how little charity funds there are around at the moment, and that every charity has to make tough choices on what to focus on and where their best work should be done.


The AWA is essentially culled from the parliamentary briefing document "What the RSPCA Wants" going back some years. When it became apparent that they would not get a bill presented a Labour MP put forward what became essentially the AWA as a private members bill. At the same time the RSPCA were busy as part of Eurogroup, formerly Eurogroup for Animal Welfare. They and other animal rights groups managed to get again essentially the briefing document contents accepted by the EU. When the AWA went through parliament Ben Bradshaw admitted that it was woolly in detail because it was essentially a peg on which to hang the expected flow of legislation from the EU - hence the potential for secondary legislation that can be nodded through by a minister.

Now, are you denying the facts contained in the memo? Is it untrue that the RSPCA have stated that they will only accept "RSPCA generated" animals in future? Or was that just a way of trying to imply it was untrue without actually stating so?

It does not matter what links you post to the RSPCA website or how many times the RSPCA claim to have powers. The fact remains that the RSPCA have NO power. None. They have no power of entry. They have no power to seize. They have no power to order anyone to do anything whatsoever. If you wish to claim they do have power to do anything that any other member of the public cannot do then please post a link to the law that so empowers them. You are misleading everyone with these claims. For the facts I suggest that you and others read:

http://archive.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/fa ... fect.htm#9

So the inspectors ARE council appointed, not RSPCA inspectors. An important difference because it means there is a proper, independent complaints procedure. Any complaint about a local authority employee that is not dealt with properly can be referred to the local government ombudsman. Same for the police, complaints can eventually make their way to the IPCC. But if you have a complaint about a charity? Well without a charities ombudsman even the charity commission admit there is nowhere other than the massively expensive legal route for people who feel aggrieved.

It is all very well to say that poor old charities can't afford to provide a proper service, but every other industry has to pay for its regulators, so why shouldn't charities whose chief executives are on massive salaries that have to be paid before a penny is spent on the cause the money was donated for? And no, I can't say how much the new RSPCA chief executive will be paid - the RSPCA have not told anyone yet!

It is not that I am attacking a charity that helps animals it is that I and many others are disgusted by the actions of a charity that could do so much more good and instead people are left afraid to let an animal go near them for fear it will be killed, afraid to ask for help for fear of prosecution or being ordered to kill their animals - what good does that do for animal welfare?

Note that I have not said there are no good branches, but branches have to tow the RSPCA line. Approaching the RSPCA for information or to complain is a total waste of time. They investigate themselves. If you were asked to investigate yourself for murder would you find yourself guilty? Of course not and you can hurl as many insults as you wish, it will not change the facts one iota. Nor will it help those animals killed or bolt gunned by the RSPCA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:39 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 3399
Location: Scotland - Paisley
Sorry but you are wrong shebajet..

The only "right" the rspca have it to try to educate owners - as in they have the right to tell them how best to look after an animal IF the owner wants to listen.. If the owner does not then they have no right what so ever.

If they have police backing when they call then the police have rights of course, but even then the RSPCA have no right to enter nor right to seize unless they are specifically named on a search warrant.

RSPCA 'officers' are not officers, they are nothing more than members of the public, civilians, and in many cases they are not even that - they have and still do pretend to have powers of entry, powers of seizure, and therefore are dishonest citizens which is even more reason to never permit them access to your property.

The RSPCA is a joke of an organisation, they pretend to be something they are not, they lie, and they frequently break the law by doing so, they waste thousands of pounds of public donations defending indefensible claims and another thing I find particularly unpalatable was their fund-raising initiatives here in Scotland taking donations from the Scottish people when they will do absolutely NOTHING to help an animal this side of the border at all.

it is high time the organisation was put in a big bag and given a bloody good shake up IMO

And yes I have had dealings with them, and yes they did state they had a legal right to take my dog to be examined by their vet, And they did say that if I refused I would be arrested..

My answer was if you wish to have this dog examined by a vet then he will be examined by his OWN vet who he knows, and the RSPCA will pay for a taxi for me and him to and back from HIS vet, and the RSPCA will pay HIS vet for the examination, and if that examination proved (as I knew it would) that my dog was in perfectly good health I would prosecute the RSPCA and the "Inspector" specifically for wrongful accusations.

Needless to say the idiot said fair enough I will come back with the police but never did.

No one is saying your intentions are less than honourable, you may well be an exception, but the simple fact is the RSPCA is rife with power hungry morons who will do and say anything they wish to get their own way and that is just clearly NOT acceptable in a law abiding, animal loving society.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:20 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:50 am
Posts: 605
Location: Kent
Mmm, difficult one this...... no organisation, and surely no charity is perfect, certainly no charity is just doing what they do out of the goodness of their hearts. But in all fairness, this is generalising a bit too much, and forgetting the many good people such as shebajet who do care about animals, and who do try their hardest with limited resources to try and save as many animal's lives as possible.

The issues around complaints, and salaries of CEO's, are not just RSPCA issues, but related to every charity out there, so is it really fair to single the RSPCA out on here?

I have had some personal dealings with them, and my experience was positive, so two sides to each coin....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:32 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm
Posts: 977
Location: Surrey, UK
I'm not getting into anymore arguments, but I would like to clarify a few points. The most important is that I must hold my hands up to one mistake - about the right of entry. The RSPCA have no automatic right of entry, but the police rarely refuse to attend if any animal is in genuine distress, so in some circles, it is considered a "right". My apologies.

1. "Is it untrue that the RSPCA have stated that they will only accept "RSPCA generated" animals in future? Or was that just a way of trying to imply it was untrue without actually stating so?". I did not say that this was untrue nor did I imply that it was untrue - I just said WHY this was likely to be the case.

2. ALL RSPCA Inspectors (note - Inspectors, not AWA's or AWO's) are employed by the RSPCA who is an independent charity and therefore the Inspectors are not council officials.

3. "Well without a charities ombudsman even the charity commission admit there is nowhere other than the massively expensive legal route for people who feel aggrieved.". As I said - I agree with you on this point, but should those who give their money to charity be forced to pay for another Government-funded Quango? We pay enough taxes as it is.

4. "And no, I can't say how much the new RSPCA chief executive will be paid - the RSPCA have not told anyone yet!" - Funnily enough I don't know either. I completely disagree with the CEO being paid lots of money, as are nearly all CEO's of any major association.

5. "being ordered ordered to kill their animals" The RSPCA (as an organisation) do not order the inspectors to kill animals, nor do they tell people to kill their animals. The only exception to this rule is a dog under the DDA - and this situation would also have to apply for the Police if they came across a dog under the DDA; also any animal that has been injured to the point of it not being able to survive, then it is the kindest thing to do.

Many may not be aware but during the summer, the Government banned the RSPCA (or any other animal rescue organisation) from using a drug that is used to humanely PTS an animal in distress, for any wildlife. This meant that the Inspectors had to use alternative (humane) methods to releive suffering for terminally injured wildlife by trained officers; or face the extra time and costs involved in taking the animal/s to the vet for more humane end. This has since been rescinded.

6. "Approaching the RSPCA for information or to complain is a total waste of time." - Have I offered you the chance to put your situation and comments forward? Yes. And I would make sure that you received an answer. Our council is made up of volunteers from different branches and we in no way "bow down" to the RSPCA society. Yes there are guidelines, but any genuine complaint or request for public information will be treated with respect and a full response given.

Finally - Fenris. You state that you have "no time" to introduce yourself, yet you found the time to jump on this forum and post some very long comments (including links which must have taken time to find), as well, IMHO, a personal attack against me and my beliefs, yet you do not know me - why?

Well done for finding a home for the dog & cat btw - that is a really good thing to do - and that comment is in no way meant in any way other than genuine thanks and relief that these two animals have found a loving new home.

In the past 12 months, I have been involved directly with the re-homing of over 200 animals (dogs, cats, rabbits and rats) and indirectly involved with many more.

As my committee role is very important to me, and I beleive that at a local level, I can make a difference, however small. Every small step leads to a long journey.

And fenris - I am not "hurling insults" any more than you are - I was just making a point. I do not belive in personal insults on a public forum, as stated earlier, but feel that there must be 2 sides to every debate. Please can we just put this matter to one side with both parties having valid points, and both knowing that there is very little we as individuals can do to change the "powers that be" at the top - no matter how much we try.


Louise - thanks and I'm sorry to hear about the incident with the Inspector. As I guess this was with the SPCA, there are some minor differences because of Scottish Law - but not being an expert in either I would hate to even comment, but I agree that they whole animal welfare system does need a really good shake up.


Anyway that , from me anyway, is all for now on this subject. I hope that it will be closed for now. Fenris, (and everyone else), I personally wish you a great Christmas and a Happy New Year.

_________________
Image


Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:21 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 3399
Location: Scotland - Paisley
shebajet wrote:
Louise - thanks and I'm sorry to hear about the incident with the Inspector. As I guess this was with the SPCA, there are some minor differences because of Scottish Law - but not being an expert in either I would hate to even comment, but I agree that they whole animal welfare system does need a really good shake up.


No, it was the RSPCA in England not the SPCA.

I have have only had one involvement with the SPCA when reporting a BYB who had caged cats kept in quite appalling conditions, the police were involved and as I understand the BYB was banned from keeping animals. Other than that I have no idea if the SPCA is any better or worse than the RSPCA

It seems to me that there are problems at the top of the RSPCA and of course that filters down through the staff, obviously not all of them are rotten apples but they do exist.

When these people overstep the boundaries by using non existent right of entry/ seizure/ conning people into signing over pets and out right lying to get what they decide they want then they should be severely disciplined or preferably loose their position. There are correct legal procedures which should be followed, failure to do so, even by a minority, will do nothing to improve the RSPCA's reputation nor public confidence in the society.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 pm 
Offline
Bengal Kitten

Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:21 pm
Posts: 15
Location: eaglesham
Louise ....I have had a few dealings with teh SSPCA ...all there staff are professional and very helpful. Both when rehoming and the after care when I took the cat home. I also had to report a neighbours whose dog was tethered for 16 hours plus a day in the rain and wind and snow in the back garden ....they acted very quickly after getting enough evidence ...Dog siezed and removed. Its a completely different organisation.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:57 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:12 pm
Posts: 3399
Location: Scotland - Paisley
princess-fiona wrote:
Louise ....I have had a few dealings with teh SSPCA ...all there staff are professional and very helpful. Both when rehoming and the after care when I took the cat home. I also had to report a neighbours whose dog was tethered for 16 hours plus a day in the rain and wind and snow in the back garden ....they acted very quickly after getting enough evidence ...Dog siezed and removed. Its a completely different organisation.


I know the SSPCA and RSPCA are completely different orgs, but I have little experience of the SSPCA so cannot really comment one way or the other ;)

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey