It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

miki129 wrote:
brianj12 wrote:
I'm actually real glad to hear that they are erring on the "being too careful" side, and not just blindly stamping approvals on re-homing cats to multi-cat households. For a stressed out middle-aged cat, such a transition has got to be tough, and I'm sure they tire of getting these cats returned to them over and over after stressful encounters where cats are not properly introduced and the owners show no patience in such matters. That's got to be rough for the shelters to deal with.

yes thats all very well but they refuse people for stupid reasons too such as living in a ground floor or any flat, and wanting to keep a cat indoors will also be refused, silly when they have so many in shelters.

That one gets to me, especially in conjunction with the above story about being denied because they lived in a busy village. So you can't have a cat if you live in a busy area, and you can't keep it indoors... Ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was refused a cat by the RSPCA and my local Cats Protection League on 2 occasions.

The first was when i lived in a second floor flat and wanted any cat (kitten/older cat). Apparently i couldn't have one because the cat would have no direct access to the outside.

The second time was when i lived in a lovely terraced house and had 1 cat already. I was refused this time because i couldn't have a cat flap fitted in my glass patio door, without changing the door (which i couldn't afford to do, nor wanted to). I was also refused a kitten from a local rescue this time because i wanted them to keep it for 2 weeks whilst i recovered from an operation. I offered to pay for it up front and pay it's keep for the 2 weeks. They refused to hold it for me!

I ended up finding Evie... and the rest is history.

The first occasion they refused to even do a home visit after asking where i lived and what type of accomodation!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know people who have graduated from university than have successfully applied to adopt a pet from a welfare organisation!

Even here in Korea I wanted to get a rescue cat but the Canadian woman who volunteers told me that I was perfect in everyway except for my nationality. Apparently "the British System kills cats and dogs in quarantine". She knows this because her friend told her.

A friend of mine was thinking of adopting a dog. He's retired, 53 years old, at home all day, takes active walks every day, and already has a dog. The reason - he lives on a narrowboat.

Dogs abound amongst narrowboaters - yet the welfare organisations consider it 'wrong'. It's so infuriating. His solution is to take on a pet privately - like our rehoming section so one dog will benefit. But it does make me query why I donate to animal rescue centres.

I now have two beautiful cats so I didn't lose out. But a cat somewhere did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here in America they just made me sign a basic contract more or less saying that I would take care of Dango (and I believe they wanted him to stay indoors unless supervised) and I paid my fee and took him home. Might have been a bit TOO easy, but they didn't get into asking me personal questions really at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

miki129 wrote:
brianj12 wrote:
I'm actually real glad to hear that they are erring on the "being too careful" side, and not just blindly stamping approvals on re-homing cats to multi-cat households. For a stressed out middle-aged cat, such a transition has got to be tough, and I'm sure they tire of getting these cats returned to them over and over after stressful encounters where cats are not properly introduced and the owners show no patience in such matters. That's got to be rough for the shelters to deal with.

yes thats all very well but they refuse people for stupid reasons too such as living in a ground floor or any flat, and wanting to keep a cat indoors will also be refused, silly when they have so many in shelters.

i'd like to add that some shelters we were looking at when we decided i was ready to adopt another pet again (my previous beloved Golden Retriever, Lucky, passed away early Feb last year, we started looking last june) wouldn't let dogs go to a home without a garden! i don't think that should have been an issue, considering dogs need to be walked anyway and we have a park nearby where lots of people take their dogs and let them off the lead to play games with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

In a way I am really glad that this thread started because it highlights the sort of differences of opinion held by so many in different animal rescue shelters across the country. The whole system needs a really good shake-up and I hope that my campaign (while still a small acorn) will gradually grow and then the Oak tree can sprea it's branches to other organisations.

As far as RSPCA (local level at least) there is about to be a big shake up because of some legal changes which will mean that many of the old-school people will proably stop doing the visiting anyway. Not totally a bad thing. But it also means that we will be losing a few really good visitors.

I'd really like to bring things up to date and will be thinking of starting a poll/petition on here and some other places in order to get a representation of people's views to take back to the Council to see if I can start pushing things through a bit more to improve the current system. Look out for the poll/petition soon.

Also - thank you to those who are thinking of starting to offer help to local charities - this will go a long way to help. Even if you cannot do the home visiting - there are always plenty of other roles to help. THANK YOU

Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Years ago I went to an RSPCA shelter to adopt a dog, I phoned them first to ask what the procedure was etc

I was told I would have to sign an agreement that the dog remained the property of the shelter and that I agree they can visit my home the check everything is OK etc, and I would have to make a voluntary donation.

My partner, myself and our 7 year old child jumped in the car and went to the shelter.

We were taken to the pens to view the dogs, found a lovely friendly little mutt, they brought him out of the pen for us to interact with, daughter loved him, said we would take him. We were taken into the office and signed all the paperwork etc and I was told now it's just the voluntary donation. To which I got the £40 out of my bag to give them and they said "That will be £65 please"

I said "You said a voluntary donation, if you want £65 then that is a charge not a voluntary donation!" The reply was "No, it is a voluntary donation of £65"

I explained that I only had £40 with me as we were told it was a voluntary donation.

The answer was "Well it is £65 so if you want the dog you better go get the other £25 because if you don't the vet will be here at 9AM to destroy it because it has been here 4 weeks and if not re-homed in four weeks they are put to sleep"

I said "So you would sooner pay a vet to do that than let the dog have a good home with me for a £40 donation?"

"Yes"

This was in front of my 7 year old!

That was quite some time ago I admit, but I would never go to an RSPCA shelter ever again in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i can't find it on the Scottish SPCA website, but i'm sure when we went to the one in Balerno, they had a sheet in the office stating 'donations' that should be given for different pets being rehomed. i'm sure it was more transparent with the SPCA in hong kong, they ask that the amount be donated for the running of the centres, and the 'donation' list was on their website

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

When i started looking for my cats, I had chosen to have two standard moggie kittens.
Because this was my first time of having cats on my own (had a family cat for 18 years when I lived with my parents) I thought I would do my best to try and find two kittens (and i really wanted kittens) from a rescue shelter.

I literally phoned every cat shelter, RSCPA, CPL everyone and out of about 7 different places only one place called me back - she was sweet, had a very elderly cat with one eye and another with only 3 legs. I felt so sad for these little cats but i needed to stick to my original plan and have two kittens/young cats.

Bear in mind I live in a good sized house, no children or other pets, in a quiet residential estate, away from any busy main roads, was willing to install a cat-flap, had past experience of looking after cats and yet I was clearly deemed not suitable for a telephone call back.

Eventually I found Nismo and his brother advertised privately, as he is a cross bengal (and I love bengals) i instantly picked up the phone. Two days later I went to visit my reserved cats, unfortunately someone beat me to his brother but for their mistake in letting him go I was offered Evo, a full bengal instead - the rest is history.

I do wish I would have been able to adopt from a rescue shelter but they really do make it impossible to do so. I know I was being fussy by wanting kittens but i was willing to take up to a 6 month old cat too.
Shame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wouldnt even attempt to rehome from the RSPCA. I have heard horror story after horror story from people being turned down by them. I suppose I feel that I wouldn't want to be a pawn in their game. I know I can offer a good home, thats enough for me. The fact that someone contacts a charity to give a loving home to a cat or dog from the rspca , when they could so easily pick one up, hassle free from their local free ads paper or card in the local newsagents window, speaks volumes. I think they deserve to be treated with a bit more respect and appreciation than these animal charities seem to give them.

I dont have a lot of time for them im afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is only one way a cat should live,
And that is my way.
And there is only one food to give,
And that is my say,
And there is only one home that is good enough,
And in yours they will never lay,
And the only way you'll get a cat.
Will be to pay.

And if you think there's anything good about that poem...please join the RSPCA.

That pretty much sums up how I understand what's happened to so many of us on this forum.

Thanks Shebajet for putting your head above the parapet to try to make us understand the dynamics of the situation. I know with you I'm preaching to the converted...but I find it very sad that we're on a cat forum talking about our cats: being proud; seeking advice on issues; sharing experiences, as well as boasting about what joy they give us...and yet some of us are not worthy?!?!?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:02 am 
Senior Bengal

Knowing that I am the crazy cat person at work, a friend asked my advice on getting 2 kittens

I spent a day or so explaining what he would need, their needs, I then started my quest, I rang every shelter locally and not one returned my call.

I called 1 back, and got through to a lady, I explained that I was ringing on behalf of someone else which I understand could rise alarms bell, but he was ok with home visits etc.

I was asked if he worked, how many hrs, how long had he worked there, did he have kids, who lived with, what type of relationship was he in !

Full time, 37 hrs, lived alone, single parent - her next question astonished me how much did he earn.

He was refused over the phone, due to him, working full time, unbelievable given that the courts gave him full custody of his son.

I found him 2 kittens, in our local paper, and they are well cared for spoilt 2 year olds now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is astonishing all these people being refused, cat shelters, charities you would think would want to home the cats they have..... i knew they did refuse many people, but really its ridiculous.... no wonder they are over run, and poor cats missing out on loving homes...

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

like everything else in this country it is bureaucracy and red tape gone mad!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:54 pm 
Senior Bengal

Its very sad that good homes are turned down for crazy reasons !!
Plus it encourages people to not have their cats neutered/spayed, if they can make money from litters.

We rehomed Tannia earlier this year, because the RSPCA centre couldnt because they were full !

If we had have gone via the centre I doubt we would have been allowed ! Due to us having crazy cat Rory and Lyla was on her way :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next