It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just to let you know that there is a 6year old brown spotted female who needs a new home at RSPCA Millbrook animal centre (cobham). She needs to be on her own with no other cats and is overweight so new owners need to keep her on a diet.

I was just about to drive over there later when I realised that she can't come to us as we have our other 3 little babies, which is a shame. She is a beautiful girl and deserves a new home.

Yvette & furkids - Milly, Dusty, Chesney, Candy and Rocky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i agree, its a shame the rspca impose such rules, ive known a few people refused to home cats coz of silly reasons, my neighbor was willing to adopt an elderly cat or even special needs but was refused coz she lives in a ground floor flat, even though she has her own entrance and not communal.... and often the rspca say no if you already have cats or dogs...

Miki & My Beloved Bengals http://mybelovedbengals.blogspot.com/

Shiloh, Darcy, Rudy The Roodster & Ozzy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

that's ridiculous! you would think if the cat has not had any problems living with other cats in the past and with members on this forum being experienced bengal owners that they would reconsider! i hope they do!

obviously we wouldn't be able to bring her home because of Tigger and Nala as well as because we're so far away and the fact that i don't think i can afford having to keep another one :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

michi_30885 wrote:
that's ridiculous! you would think if the cat has not had any problems living with other cats in the past and with members on this forum being experienced bengal owners that they would reconsider! i hope they do!

obviously we wouldn't be able to bring her home because of Tigger and Nala as well as because we're so far away and the fact that i don't think i can afford having to keep another one :cry:

i doubt the rspca will change, ive known many people refused cats that i know would give loving great homes but refused for stupid reasons... they could home many more cats if they werent so rigid x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i understand they're cautious to possibly reduce the number of cats and dogs and other domestic pets being returned for one reason or another, maybe with having another pet at home, they might fight, owners get worried and return the newly rehomed pet? but with people owning more than one bengal, surely that's experience enough for them to reconsider?! :evil: i really don't understand it, especially with people not doing their research on different breeds, people who don't know bengals have their expectations on 'what a bengal should be like' and when it doesn't fit their ideal, they get returned anyway!

what's not to say that an owner with more than one will be a better owner than one who's never owned a bengal? or shall i say, owned by a bengal :lol: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ah, I should admit something here - I volunteer for the RSPCA in quite a few roles, but one of the most important is the fact that I am one of the dreaded "home checkers"!!!

Admittedly, to date after 5 years of doing this, I have only had to turn down 3 families - 2 wanted a puppy but had a tiny baby (under 3 months old), which would have been Ok with the right dog, but they wanted a very boisterious young and very big pup. In the end I managed to persuade them to have a slightly older dog each on a 2nd visit (these dogs both settled really well and the families adore them).

The last case was very sad. On the application form (she applied for 2 kittens) she said that she lived on a quiet road. Luckily I knew the area, and at night it is quiet, but during the day it's used as a "rat run" by very fast traffic. Also, on visiting, I discovered that she had another 10 (yes, TEN) cats - 6 of which were pregnant. This lady became the subject of an RSPCA investigation and she was later found to have 14 outstanding bans on keeping animals as well as 17 dogs.

A puppy & kitten farm which was immediately closed down. The lady was jailed and all animals found new homes apart from one dog who sadly passed on during the birth of her pups - but all 4 pups survived as another dog started feeding them & took on the role of Mum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

that may be the case for you but i can assure you i know of people turned down for the dumbest reasons, and quite a few others on here do too... im not a fan of the rspca im afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

as miki says, i don't think it's unreasonable to turn down families/prospective pet owners for legitimate reasons, but to think that some are being rejected because they state that the cat is to go to a family without any pets and the prospective owner has a bengal already? that's just wrong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:01 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Miki & michi - I agree with both of you, I really do. The problem the RSPCA in general has is that most of the home checkers are older ladies who started doing this 30+ years ago and have very set "rules" on how they view the situation, and then these ladies train new recruits in the same way.

Having come to this "job" as both a long term cat owner and dog owner, I had a more open minded view of things. The woman who trained me was very set in her ways (although she has now retired thank goodness). I now train others in the south east and I train them to be more open minded and view every situation individually.

Our control centre (who allocate the visits) always say that I am one of their best visitors, and when I had a break between September - November (while Alfie was ill and then my surgery) I was really missed.

I am currently trying to campaign at National Council level for all home visitors to be re-trained in order to be more open and stop these ridiculous ideas that are so outdated. Unfortunately i am fighting against a brick wall but I won't give up as there are so many people out there who could offer a cat (or dog) a really good home but are rejected because someone lives in the 60's.

All I ask is that if you really want to help bring this system in the 21st century is to start voluntering for your local branch as a home checker - we need more all over the country - or persuade someone you know to do it.

This way all the older ones will go and be replaced by more younger people who care more about the animals than an antiquated system.

Sorry - this is a subject that I feel very passionate about and something that drives me nuts as a lot of people have negative views of the RSPCA re-homing prcedure because of the way that the long established visitors carry out their visits & then turn down because of some stupid ideas they have. I have yet to find a home where I have thought that I would never agree to a pet living there at all, other than the lady mentioned above.

Every other visit I have done, I have placed an animal in the home. I am in contact with many of those for whom I have done the visits regularly and meet many in pets at home and always stop for a chat. Over the years, I must have approved some 350 new homes so that is about 400 animals who now have happy new homes thanks to me. Now that bit I really like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PS - if there is anyone who is interested in Nala (the Bengal mentioned initially) it will be me who does the home check!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

thanks for that, you really inspired me and not having much of a life outside of work apart from Tigger and Nala, i would love to volunteer for the Scottish SPCA or local animal shelters, especially if it means poor cats and dogs (and misunderstood bengals) get good homes. unfortunately for me, all the local shelters are far away and accessible only by car :cry: i can't drive (i have an auto license) and i don't have a car. i'm hoping that will change soon bc OH would like to share his driving responsibilities with me when we go on trips and all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:53 pm 
Senior Bengal

We had a bad experience with the National Animal Welfare Trust in Thurrock. Basically a few months after our much loved and very spoilt moggy (Mac) passed away we decided to adopt a cat from a rescue centre. We got the idea from watching programmes like Animal 24/7 as they kept saying that rescue centres were crying out for people to adopt a rescue cat.
Instead of getting a kitten we thought we would take an older cat which may have had less of a chance of adoption. We wanted a cat that didn't look anything like Mac so opted for a tabby. Having looked at various sites online we found one we thought looked lovely and I phoned up. I spoke to a very nice woman who said I needed to speak to another woman so I called another number. This second call lasted almost 90 minutes!! and I really felt I was being "grilled" during the call. I understand that these centres have to be careful about who they let their cats go to but really it seemed as if this woman was doing everything in her power to put us off.
She said that we lived in a busy village so the road could be a problem and I said that thankfully I had never seen a dead or injured cat in the 12 years I lived here.
Finally she suggested we visit the cat to see if we liked each other. We were told to come on the following Saturday (which was a Bank Holiday weekend) between 1300 and 1500 or something like that. We drove there leaving in good time and were stuck in traffic for nearly two hours.
We still arrived in time, went in and they gave us a form to fill in which we did. It was mostly staffed by elderly ladies and one took us through to see the cat. It was then that we met the woman who kept me on the phone for 90 minutes and she said "Sorry we've decided that your village is too busy so there is no point showing you the cat!".
Fair enough if that's what they want but they had our address and phone number and common courtesy would suggest that they phone us and let us know before we drive more than an hour to the shelter. My husband was furious (and I don't blame him) he asked why the hell they had us drive down there and fill in the form when they had already decided the village was too busy? He took back the form and we went to the car only to have this woman follow us and demand back the form. My husband gave it to her though I have to say I wouldn't have done so as I don't see why they needed our details.
The entire experience left us feeling that we would never bother trying to adopt a rescue cat again. I can quite see how there are thousands of cats waiting to be rehomed with such stupid attitudes. All my neighbours have cats and the speed limit in the village is 30mph.
The happy outcome is that we decided to buy a kitten instead and following some research discovered Bengals and our two babies so all's well that ends well except that I would never donate to this particular charity again. It hasn't put us off totally and we make donations to our local RSPCA shelter. I can't help feeling sorry for the cats living their lives in cages when they could be in a loving home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Very glad to hear you are trying to bring about a change, definitely needed... good on you for doing that..... mmm will enquire at my local RSPCA after xmas re volunteering xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm actually real glad to hear that they are erring on the "being too careful" side, and not just blindly stamping approvals on re-homing cats to multi-cat households. For a stressed out middle-aged cat, such a transition has got to be tough, and I'm sure they tire of getting these cats returned to them over and over after stressful encounters where cats are not properly introduced and the owners show no patience in such matters. That's got to be rough for the shelters to deal with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

brianj12 wrote:
I'm actually real glad to hear that they are erring on the "being too careful" side, and not just blindly stamping approvals on re-homing cats to multi-cat households. For a stressed out middle-aged cat, such a transition has got to be tough, and I'm sure they tire of getting these cats returned to them over and over after stressful encounters where cats are not properly introduced and the owners show no patience in such matters. That's got to be rough for the shelters to deal with.

yes thats all very well but they refuse people for stupid reasons too such as living in a ground floor or any flat, and wanting to keep a cat indoors will also be refused, silly when they have so many in shelters.