It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tally-Isham wrote:
The purpose of this thead is to find Mojo and Honey a new home. All arguing is going to achieve is to deter people from posting in this section and potentially deprive Bengals from finding new homes. The cats are important here and bickering isn't going to help them.

Whilst I appreciate this; I would also add that Ive seen many a thread on different forums where an OP has reconsidered rehoming after different options and ideas have been given to them.
I dont think anyone would have been tempted to 'bicker' if they did not feel themselves being insulted.

HOWEVER....I agree now it is going round in circles so I for one am graceiously bowing out :arrow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:54 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Tally-Isham wrote:
The purpose of this thead is to find Mojo and Honey a new home. All arguing is going to achieve is to deter people from posting in this section and potentially deprive Bengals from finding new homes. The cats are important here and bickering isn't going to help them.

You are right, my apologies to the thread starter (who I had been trying to support in my opinionated way!), I hope the conversation won't put anyone off the cats. Obviously I do have strong feelings but won't make any more points, this is a debate that could be had elsewhere on the forum. I will also bow out of this thread now. Good luck finding a home.

Post subject: Start again?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Oh dear. I don't suppose there is any way I can delete this whole thread and start again from scratch?! If anyone interested in Honey and Mojo reads this far, they are lovely cats and please don't anyone think that this is a whim brought on through pregnancy. I am in this situation because I have probably spoilt my cats too rotten over the last 5 years, if I thought that the problem was purely down to my pregnancy I would have different thoughts. But I know my cats - and it is down to the lack of attention and boredom. I could never have imagined when I got Honey and Mojo how their behaviour would change due to a decrease in attention. Their behaviour has lasted months, and Honey can howl continuously for over an hour at a time when she wants attention (I have ignored her when she howls, rather than reward her by giving in). I feel I am being tortured in my home and have tried all sorts to stop her behaviour and give her a chance to come around.

What it comes down to is that I have become a nervous wreck (before baby even arrives!) and I just have to put the baby first - with the cats continuing the way they are, and a new baby needing all of my attention, I will very likely crack...I am on the verge of cracking now - and a baby will sense this! The household is miserable, cats are miserable. They would be happier if they went to another home - I truly believe this. Their unbreakable bond is with each other, and I don't think a new home would cause them significant stress.

I would dearly love Honey and Mojo to find a loving home where they can get plenty of affection and be happy again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Apart from Honey howling, what other behaviour issues are there that is stressing you out.

Forgive me, but what I do not understand is that you say their unbreakable bond is with each other, yet they have that now, and they are miserable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sorry that your are under going this stress at such a time. If you do want to re-home your Bengals then I respect that. After all you have to live with the decision. I think there are some very experienced Bengal owners on this forum who if they had more info on the behavior issues might be able to help you. Best of luck in what you decide and I hope all goes well with your new baby. xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I appreciate the difficult situation you are in and you need to do the best for your cats, your sanity and your baby.

I think members are picking up on the fact that this can be a common problem, in that not everyone thinks ahead when they decide to get a cat or multiple cats or any other pet.
In their haste to buy kittens, they forget that the kitten grows up to be a cat and hopefully will be around for the next 15 years. They forget about moving around in careers, moving abroad, new jobs, busy work schedules, new partners, new babies and other responsibilities that they will have in 15 years.
They load themselves up with cats and then once their life changes, it is then they realise that cats do not fit in too well and in reality never would have had they thought it properly through first. It causes great heart ache for themselves and upheaval for the poor cats.

As for the behaviour issues, I would guess the cats are just picking up on your stress levels and have become unsettled.

What is Mojo's diagnosis? Is it going to limit his life?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with what Elaine has said...
However, I must add that babies do not take up ALL of your time - particularly when they are very young, sleep alot & don't move around..
Is it not possible for you to integrate the baby into the existing household at all?
I only ask this as I have been there myself.

Just to second Elaine, what is Mojo's diagnosis? Also what is his prognosis?

I know you say you don't think a move would be stressful, but I can assure you that moving to a new home with new people would be far more stressful for him than adjusting to a new baby in his current home.

Katie xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:43 pm 
Bengal Cat

Anyone who has ever been in the terrible position of having to re-home a beloved pet will know what you are going through. I cried and cried when I had to re-home my beloved little dog last year but it was the VERY BEST thing for him and me. Circumstances change and you are proving you love your cats by doing what you can to find them a new home. Breeders do this all the time when a Queen or Stud cat is no longer needed. Not criticising, this practice means many people who can't afford kitten prices, can have a re-homed Bengal. One of my Berngals is a rescue. Her owner (breeder) was going to have her put down as she had a minor ear infection. She was lucky, the vet refused and got her to Jacky and Tim Bliss who kept her until she was ready to be homed.
You are doing what is right for you, your baby and your cats. Don't feel bad. Hope this all works out for you!

Penny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

nuttybengals wrote:
Just to second Elaine, what is Mojo's diagnosis? Also what is his prognosis?

I know you say you don't think a move would be stressful, but I can assure you that moving to a new home with new people would be far more stressful for him than adjusting to a new baby in his current home.

Mojo has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. The vet can't give a proper prognosis - he is fine and dandy like any cat at the moment, running about and playing happily. Vet says you can never predict when they'll succumb to the disease, sometimes you can scan a cat and its heart will look healthy but it is suffering, others can have a heart that looks a mess and can get on with their lives like any normal cat. His daily medication is supposed to delay the onset of symptoms and make his heart beat more efficiently. It is his sister which is the big problem and big factor in me deciding to rehome (I have added a post under behaviours thread to see if anyone has any advice about her, I have already consulted experts but there might be something someone advises that I haven't thought of). If I could keep Mojo and re-home Honey, I would - but his world would be destroyed without her in it and that would be the worst thing I could ever do to him. He is completely smitten with her, she is his rock. I'm pretty certain that Mojo has done so well with his heart condition can be attributed to his bond with her...he can be a pretty nervous cat and she gives him confidence, and we would never manage to give him his medication if it wasn't for the fact she sits next to hiim eating treats while we hide his medicine in his.

I am going to continue trying to find a home for Honey and Mojo, but if anyone thinks they can suggest a solution to Honey's behaviour (see my other thread), please let me know. All I know is that - pregnancy or not - I cannot live with her behaviour as it has become, and I have not managed to find a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:52 pm 
Bengal Kitten

PennyM wrote:
Anyone who has ever been in the terrible position of having to re-home a beloved pet will know what you are going through. I cried and cried when I had to re-home my beloved little dog last year but it was the VERY BEST thing for him and me. Circumstances change and you are proving you love your cats by doing what you can to find them a new home. Breeders do this all the time when a Queen or Stud cat is no longer needed. Not criticising, this practice means many people who can't afford kitten prices, can have a re-homed Bengal. One of my Berngals is a rescue. Her owner (breeder) was going to have her put down as she had a minor ear infection. She was lucky, the vet refused and got her to Jacky and Tim Bliss who kept her until she was ready to be homed.
You are doing what is right for you, your baby and your cats. Don't feel bad. Hope this all works out for you!

Thanks PennyM, your thread means a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quote:
Mojo has hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

I am very sorry to hear that. Has Honey had any scanning done, as being the sibling of an HCM cat she has a 50% chance of also having the HCM gene.
I would be grateful if you could add Mojo to the Official Bengal HCM list, PM me for details of how you can do that. It may not help Mojo but the list will help breeders track family lines to try and prevent other kittens and cats suffering from this awful disease.

HCM is a very serious condition and one which affects too many Bengals.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=119808638053926 - HCM Awareness in Bengal cats

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=100484326664509 - The Lightning Fund

http://www.causes.com/causes/574406-gal ... d=45034477 - Galaxy Fund to Fight HCM

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=1 ... &topic=231 - HCM research request for samples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:07 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi, just curious if you had any luck re homing? And if you have had your little babe yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:03 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hi,

I really feel for you.

It's not easy rehoming your cat.

Years ago we had to rehome a korat girl who would not accept our new boy bengal, Jazzi, as boss.

She weighed 8lbs he weighed 20lbs but she wouldn't give in!!!

Long story but she had to go as she was beating up our siamese as well.

She went to a great home and was happy.

Back to your problem.

We then got another boy bengal - Jelli-roll.

From the moment we got him he loved Jazzi.

He'd follow him around, nuzzle him, cry when he wasn't there.

We always said that if Jazzi died Jelli-roll would be lost.

Then, when Jazzi was 16+, he didn't come home.

We posted leaflets, put an advert in the papers and spent weeks following leads.

We were distraught.

Unlike Jelli-roll who moved up to No.1 cat and didn't appear to miss Jazzi at all.

So what I'm trying to say is that maybe we don't really completely understand cats.

We try to empathise with them as if they were human which I now feel is wrong.

Please don't make decisions based on the theory that your cats can't live without each other.

Maybe you should keep your boyand rehome the girl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Best of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

mlbbarry wrote:
Hi, just curious if you had any luck re homing? And if you have had your little babe yet?

Hi - no luck re-homing yet unfortunately. Lots of interest, but sadly it's poor Mojo's heart condition which puts people off - even though its covered by insurance, those who have been most keen have been afraid of the heartache of losing him and treading on eggshells round him. Really - no eggshells are needed, he behaves just like a normal cat...but he can be quite timid and needs a stressfree home. Going to advertise them in a local paper soon (carefully!), we're keeping fingers crossed we can find an amazing new home. I just want them to be happy. If no one ends up wanting them, I think the only way they'd be happy with us is to be allowed outdoors, and they really wouldn't do well in our neighbourhood...lots of cars and other cats and we can't cat-proof our garden. I have had my baby thanks - which has brought on a whole heap of other complications with my health...not having a good time of it, have been very unlucky (but he's amazing and worth the pain)!