It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:57 pm 
Senior Bengal

anyone who knows me, knows I am in love with the Scottish wildcat and I have always supported the attempts to conserve the species.

There are currently only a handful of pure-bred Scottish wildcats left I think the number is something silly like 40 (if not less) but today I was shocked to learn that British zoo's plan to capture the remaining few and breed them to their own captive bred cats. If the plan goes ahead that would mean the Scottish Wildcat will become extinct in the wild and will only exist in captivity!

I can't believe the government will actually let this happen as the Scottish wildcat is our last wildcat in Britain after the Lynx went extinct. Do we never learn from our mistakes?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is a beautiful wild cat! Obviously, they are not breeding in the wild and the species is losing ground. Their only hope to avoid extinction is to be in a captive environment in the hopes to breed and replenish the cats. It does not always work that way. And sometimes more bad can happen than good! I'm not sure how long it might take them to capture every single one of them. But if they can grab a fertile male and fertile female, it might be a start.