It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recent absence
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 pm 
Senior Bengal

Sorry for my recent disappearance from the forums. However, I swear I have a reason!

Well, first-off, every time I get near the laptop, Templeton pounces on me and tackle-plays with me until I give him my full attention. So that's a problem :)

Secondly, though, I've been competing in my university's mooting competition (a competition for aspiring lawyers to practice their court skills), which has eaten up so much of my time that I've hardly had time to sleep, let alone post on the forums. We had our semi-final last night at Snaresbrook Crown Court, and I managed to win through to the final round. So I'll be fairly quiet for a little while longer, since this final round is before Lord Neuberger himself, so I'll need to be on top of my game to win.

Anyway, just wanted to let you all know that I'm around, but just not posting at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Wow - congrats on getting to the final. That stack of books must have been doing more than just sitting on the shelf gathering dust!

I also have problems using my computer because Dolly and Daisy like to get involved - they've found functions on my laptop I never knew existed by pressing various combinations of buttons :lol:

Good luck in the final - when is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:30 pm 
Senior Bengal

The final is April 1. Any of you near London who enjoy subjecting yourselves to legal things are welcome to attend. More to hear Lord Neuberger than to hear the students, though.

As to the laptop issues:

Templeton actually managed to lock Microsoft Word into using Hebrew as its default language and font. It took me almost an hour to undo it...How do cats manage to push exactly the right buttons as they walk across the screen?

Although my favorite is the time that I was doing research, Templeton walks across the keyboard, and Top Gear starts playing. Top Gear is his favorite show (all the music and movement, I guess), and he immediately sat down and started watching, not minding at all that he had interrupted my work. There are times that I wonder about that cat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bit of a long way from Cumbria to London I'm afraid but I hope you have a great day, whatever the outcome. What do you have to do in the competition?

My kitties almost always seem to turn on some noisy programme on the laptop - maybe they do it deliberately to get some entertainment! Another favourite is losing the toolbars on IE - I still don't know what key combination they hit which does that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:53 pm 
:D Bert once jumped onto the laptop keyboard and managed to turn the desktop upside down! Took a while (and a lot of concentration!) to switch it back the right way up....

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

wow! congratulations on getting this far in the comp. fingers crossed for you in the final, hopefully the fact it's on april fools day won't have any effect :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

I think the fact that it's on april fool's day is a good omen. A fool should win! (That's me, by the way)

Thanks for all the congrats. We get assigned a case and a side, and then are given 15 minutes to argue that the appeal should be either allowed or dismissed, using loads of case law, academic articles, etc. Throughout that time, the judge can intervene and ask us any questions that he feels like, which can be very challenging.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, big congratulations and luck, certainly does sound very challenging! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Templeton wrote:
Templeton actually managed to lock Microsoft Word into using Hebrew as its default language and font.

LOL!! :lol: :lol: Does he meow in Yiddish? :lol:

Best of luck at the finals! Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it...a bit far to travel. Let us know how it all goes :wink: