It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Weather up in Cumbria is wet but not too bad. I've been working at home today trying to input survey results into the computer and the kitties keep taking it in turns to go outside, come back in with wet paws and walk all over a questionnaire. Not sure how I'll explain it to the Diocese of Carlisle :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:49 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is windy and cloudy here- more snow on the way tonight. We are expecting 8 more inches of snow. I love snow, but I am kind of getting sick of it right now :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 am 
Hi all and thanks for all your comments - they've really cheered me up :-)

Currently waiting for the insurance assessor to visit (and hoping he doesn't find some obscure reason not to pay the claim!) - the emergency repair man phoned last night and said he didn't know when he'd be able to get out to us!!

Never mind, it's (so far) a gorgeous sunny day here.....

Teresa x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i hope he gets out to you hun, it's supposed to turn again tomorrow & friday :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:52 pm 
Sadly it appears that the problem is the quality of the bricks the house is built from (classic 1970s if you know what I mean!) so what we actually need to do is spray silicone all over the back wall. It's good in that at least it's not a structural problem, but bad in that it won't be something we can fix before it rains again :roll:

Anyway, the weather is deteriorating rapidly here - I took a couple of photos from the office window - the last couple of ones in my Facebook album:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... =609285648

and earlier I got a shot of my lovely, lovely Bert before he went for his daily hibernation under the bedcovers ;-)

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5 ... =609285648

Not a great photo but he's such a sweetie and he deserves the fame!

(Ernie was nowhere to be seen...)

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

beauttiful pics :D

one of the most interesting things about our country is the weather, but it can also be very scary. fingers crossed it holds out during the next wave & you manage to get it sorted soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gawd, I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you that the rain stays away! Poor you, what a nightmare; at least you can console yourself a little in the knowledge that you live in a beautiful part of the country. I think you must live on a different planet to me! :shock:

Bert is lovely, it would be so nice if we could all snuggle under the covers at whim like a kitty :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aw bugger, shame you can't fix it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:45 pm 
I am sort of lucky - near to lovely woodland, the odd deer wanders past the front door every so often - but I can hear the motorway most of the time and we're also near to Southampton Airport - so it's not ideal! I used to live in York which was lovely but really I'd love to live by the sea, with no major roads anywhere near me!

Hmm....I have an idea for a new thread.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can recommend west Cumbria - Solway coast on one side, lakes and mountains on the other, fantastic sunsets and sunrises, red squirrels, deer, old fashioned community spirit ...... but no shops, no post offices, buses that only run twice a week, tourists in the summer .......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

We've been thinking VERY seriously of getting out of the over-inflated Thames valley area for quite some time. We're trying to find somewhere with decent real ale pubs, public transport and good community life. In a Scottish Borders/Cumbria/Wiltshire sort of area... *dream*

(Edit: Ginny, my husband Graham loves your photos in the other thread BTW :wink: Keep 'em coming :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

We can certainly do real ale (Jennings brewery is in Cockermouth) and community spirit in the villages is great. But most of Cumbria fails on the public transport I'm afraid. It's not too bad on the eastern side because the West Coast mainline runs through Carlisle and Penrith. Local trains and buses are only OK if they happen to go where you want on the day you want - which hardly ever happens!

Post subject: Re: Stormy weather.....
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:03 pm 
The Real Boss

teresa wrote:
Now how's this for a classic? We get emergency cover with our house insurance, but their workers can't come and temporarily make the roof watertight (until the proper repair work gets done) unless it stops raining - as it's against health and safety rules for them to attempt repairs in the rain!!

On Christmas Eve (about 6pm), the electricity went off down my parent’s street. They phoned to report the fault, and when they called back for an update they were told that an engineer had been out on site but there's nothing he can do because it's against health and safety for him to work in the dark! It was tea time Christmas Day before the power was restored!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

blooming ridiculous!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hey heidi, have you got hiccups :lol: :lol:

anyway... Bl**dy Health & safety... How pathetic... they get paid to get to job done so they should do it :x