It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quote:

The only way that I can think of to try to minimise stress levels for this poor kitten is sedation for the 7 hours she will be alone in the luggage car if that would be possible.

I would disagree totally with this.
Sedating a kitten that is then left alone for 7 hours is madness. What happens if it reacts badly to the sedation? What happens if it is allergic to the sedation? What happens if the dosage is miscalculated and it stops breathing?
Better stressed a little bit than dead. I would not medicate your kitten with anything as you have no idea of how it will react. No herbal remedies or "natural" sedation either.

IME if left alone, after an initial protest, the cat settles down and will sleep.
If you could get the breeder to do some practising with the cat in the carrier, then it will not be such a culture shock for it to be housed in the carrier for the duration of the trip.

Bring some cleaning up stuff for the kitten with you as if it is a long time in the carrier it may "have to go" and that may be smelly and upsetting for fellow travellers. If you have to do some cleaning up make sure you have all escape routes covered and there is no chance it can make a dash for freedom, as if it sees any way out of the situation it finds itself in, it will. Do not be lulled into thinking it is calm and controlled and let your guard slip as that is when it will seize the opportunity to escape.
Also do not let fellow travellers poke and prod at your kitten, leave it be in the carrier. It doesn't know you either, so it is not worth getting it all upset or risk it escaping all for the sake of letting fellow passengers see it out of the carrier.
Making sure it is still OK periodically, is all that is required. Remember you are a complete stranger to it, so your well meaning attempts at calming it down, may make it even more stressed. Better to leave it well alone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

treatment
junglerose wrote:
Quote:

The only way that I can think of to try to minimise stress levels for this poor kitten is sedation for the 7 hours she will be alone in the luggage car if that would be possible.

I would disagree totally with this.
Sedating a kitten that is then left alone for 7 hours is madness. What happens if it reacts badly to the sedation? What happens if it is allergic to the sedation? What happens if the dosage is miscalculated and it stops breathing?.

That's why I said if possible, I have never had to sedate a kitten for any reason so I have no idea if it would even be possible although I know that they are sometimes sedated for veterinary treatment. I can't see any way that being left for hours in a luggage carriage would not be horrible for a baby kitten who has just been taken from it's home and mother.

junglerose wrote:
IME if left alone, after an initial protest, the cat settles down and will sleep.
If you could get the breeder to do some practising with the cat in the carrier, then it will not be such a culture shock for it to be housed in the carrier for the duration of the trip.

Traveling in a car is very different to traveling in a noisy, cold luggage carriage with much more movement so I don't know that taking the kitten for car rides prior to this journey would be of much help although I suppose it would allow it to get used to being confined in the carrier. None of mine ever go to sleep when traveling so I don't think that can be generalised to all cats.

My brown girl was from Scotland which was a 262 mile trip each way for us, we drove there and it was really not that bad, we stayed overnight because we wanted to but it would have been just as easy to drive straight home again that day and still be home early evening. Much less stressful for Willow than flying her down to us. Our boy we drove about 200 miles each way for too and did that all in one day. Obviously America and Canada are bigger so traveling distances can be quite long but I'm sure that it would be possible to use public transport or flying or a combination of the two in a way that would prevent the need to have a kitten put in a luggage carriage or plane hold, perhaps these things ought to be taken in to consideration and budgeted for when looking for a kitten and counted in the overall price of each potential kitten.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:28 pm 
Senior Bengal

The kitten will not be old enough for sedation..

Jenda wrote:
Obviously America and Canada are bigger so traveling distances can be quite long but I'm sure that it would be possible to use public transport or flying or a combination of the two in a way that would prevent the need to have a kitten put in a luggage carriage or plane hold, perhaps these things ought to be taken in to consideration and budgeted for when looking for a kitten and counted in the overall price of each potential kitten.

I'm doing that for the first leg of my trip. Beyond that, I don't see how I would be able to have the kitten on my lap for the 6 hour trip from Toronto to Ottawa.

Jenda wrote:
Your friends may see nothing wrong with your idea, many people may think it's fine but the people on this forum are passionate about cats (and other animals) and unlike a lot of people they put their animals on an equal setting to themselves and care and respect their pets as living creatures not possessions. Very few members will condone allowing a tiny kitten to suffer for the sake of saving money, and no we are not all millionaires, we just do everything in our power to ensure that we can financially support our pets adequately even if this means sacrifices in other areas of our lives.

Give them a call then, if you think I'm such an evil animal abuser.

http://ottawahumane.ca/home/index.cfm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:42 pm 
Senior Bengal

Jenda wrote:

You keep saying that because you have bought your train ticket you will just do this anyway and tough luck for the kitten if it is terrified but I see no reason why you have to take the kitten, you were already going to visit your mother so it's not like this trip was specifically to collect your kitten. Why can't you just arrange something else for the kitten and develop a more thought out, kitten friendly plan that will actually be better for the kitten not your wallet? I do tend to agree with others that your attitude of 'no I won't spend more to make my new kitten as comfortable and stress free as possible' to be worrying, it gives the impression that you would also put money before your kittens welfare in other areas such as veterinary treatment.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5