It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gnexus01 wrote:
Why should I pay $600 more for a kitten, when I get one from a good breeder who wants less ?

:rofl:

Yes, contacting a breeder halfway across the country, agreeing to get a kitten sight unseen for "cheap", spending hundreds of dollars in travel, countless hours researching and planning the trip, days of your time making the trip, and putting all kinds of risk and wear and tear on your new kitten, makes perfect sense to me! You sure showed those local "high priced" $600-a-cat breeders a thing or two!!

I'm sorry you are leaving. You are no doubt depriving us of countless amusing stories about the search for a cheaper cat food than Meow Mix, whether or not a cat can be raised on carrots, or questions about where to buy expired medicine.

BTW, now all of a sudden you want to talk about your friends? Where were these friends when you needed a ride to pick up your cat?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:16 am 
Senior Bengal

Awe gee aren't some of you being a bit hard on this girl? The situation is being exaggerated all out of reasonable limits.

I have the same problem with transportation but for me it was easier to have my kitten flown in and it is cheaper (for me) that way. I did at first before I actually reserved a kitten consider taking a train or bus to whatever city it would be in but the journey seemed epic and I took the easy way. I still have to go through a lot to get to the airport and back, does that make me an unfit owner to be?

Also having been looking for breeders around the same time that she was I can say that there really are not a lot to choose from without going several hundered miles, which by the way is not halfway across the country. There are however quite a few local byb I see advertising daily on kijiji and she did not go to one of those, so what does that say. I also looked at the breeder she chose but preferred the kitten from the breeder I chose which is only slightly closer than hers.

I know I'm new here but I really feel bad for her as I don't think she's going to skimp on her cats needs. She wants a kitten very badly, there are some difficulties in procuring it and maybe an other option would be better but she's locked in now to both the kitten and it seems the train ticket.

Gnexus, I wish you and the kitten the best. I feel terrible that I am quite close but unable to help you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:38 am 
Senior Bengal

Quote:
those local "high priced" $600-a-cat breeders a thing or two!!

She said 600 more. Pet quality kittens at her breeder are from 1,000 to 1,200.

There is a local breeder but their kittens are 1,800 and up and the website was a bit questionable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:14 am 
Bengal Kitten

Wow. Reading this entire forum actually made me quite annoyed with the lot of you, with the exceptions of snow and Gnexus.

First thing is first, not everyone can pull money out of their bums. There is not reason to look down on Gnexus for trying to find a good breeder that is cheap. I'm sorry all of you have stuck up your noses at someone who cannot financially afford a freaking $1800 cat. He should be able to afford the food and whatever else the cat needs.

Second, a 6 hour train ride is not going to cause this kitten any long term damage. I own a bengal and he was fearless. All the bengal's I've had the pleasure of meeting were fearless. They are part WILD ANIMAL, they are not the docile little fragile creatures you're making them out to be. Sure it's a kitten but by 3 months old my kitten was somehow getting on the railing in my house.

Third, I don't think the OP put this up here to be put on trial by a bunch of pompous pricks like you, I think he posted to get some ideas on what he should do to make the cat as comfortable as possible because he cares for her. From what I read off of his post he is really excited to get this kitten and wants to make her as comfortable and happy as possible.

Lastly, one of you said you're surprised that he isn't strapping the cat to the hood of a car (like Mitt did). Really? Taking a train ride is the same as leaving an animal strapped to the top of a car that is going anywhere from 56-112 kmph?

This is suppose to be a forum where we talk about bengals and help and support each other, not flame someone for trying their hardest. Jeesh.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

stevies did you join the forum just to yell at everyone? Welcome :scratch_one-s_head:

This is forum where people really love cats. Gnexus1 wants to put a kitten through quite an intense amount of travel, largely unsupervised, within 24 hours of leaving it's breeder - there will be varying opinions on this! If Gnexus1 just wanted people to agree with them, then I suppose they should have stuck to chatting about it with their RL friends who seem to think the plan is brilliant.
stevies wrote:
I own a bengal and he was fearless. All the bengal's I've had the pleasure of meeting were fearless. They are part WILD ANIMAL, they are not the docile little fragile creatures you're making them out to be.
Funny, all the wild animals I come across run away at the sight of humans, I didn't realise they were meant to be fearless! At any rate, my cats are certainly not fearless, as demonstrated by the fact that when I brought them home they hid behind the wardrobe for two days and then peed all over my house because they were so stressed! And that was after a 1.5h car ride....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

snow wrote:
Quote:
those local "high priced" $600-a-cat breeders a thing or two!!

She said 600 more. Pet quality kittens at her breeder are from 1,000 to 1,200.

There is a local breeder but their kittens are 1,800 and up and the website was a bit questionable.

She said it is 200 savings in total after travel costs I assume. thats in canadian dollars , right ? in pounds its 126 - thats really not a saving to put your cat through that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

stevies wrote:
Wow. Reading this entire forum actually made me quite annoyed with the lot of you, with the exceptions of snow and Gnexus.

My, you are easily annoyed then! It seems very strange to me that you suddenly appear and spout off at everyone who has offered advice EXCEPT Gnexus (who you seem to know a lot about!) and the only other person who didn't disagree that transporting a young kitten on its own in a luggage car is OK.

stevies wrote:
First thing is first, not everyone can pull money out of their bums. There is not reason to look down on Gnexus for trying to find a good breeder that is cheap. I'm sorry all of you have stuck up your noses at someone who cannot financially afford a freaking $1800 cat. He should be able to afford the food and whatever else the cat needs.

I don't see anyone here "looking down" on Gnexus for trying to find a good breeder that is cheap but all they do in every post they have done is comment on money!
Money should be secondary to the kittens welfare and if they can't afford to do it right then don't do it!

stevies wrote:
Second, a 6 hour train ride is not going to cause this kitten any long term damage. I own a bengal and he was fearless. All the bengal's I've had the pleasure of meeting were fearless. They are part WILD ANIMAL, they are not the docile little fragile creatures you're making them out to be. Sure it's a kitten but by 3 months old my kitten was somehow getting on the railing in my house.

...and exactly how many Bengals that have been sent by train at a young age have you had the pleasure of meeting? A six plus hour train journey isolated in a luggage car WILL be stressful which could easily lead to later problems. They are NOT wild animals and are certainly not "docile or fragile" which I have seen nobody on here describe their cats as, so I don't know what you are on about here?

stevies wrote:
Third, I don't think the OP put this up here to be put on trial by a bunch of pompous pricks like you, I think he posted to get some ideas on what he should do to make the cat as comfortable as possible because he cares for her. From what I read off of his post he is really excited to get this kitten and wants to make her as comfortable and happy as possible.

The OP asked for advice and that is what they got, whether they like it or not is another matter. If they care as much as you reckon they should find an alternative.As you seem to think you are the fount of all Bengal knowlege perhaps you could enlighten all us "pompous pricks" as to how you would sort the transport out for the kittens benefit?

stevies wrote:
Lastly, one of you said you're surprised that he isn't strapping the cat to the hood of a car (like Mitt did). Really? Taking a train ride is the same as leaving an animal strapped to the top of a car that is going anywhere from 56-112 kmph?

.....at least there is one part of your post I can agree with.

stevies wrote:
This is suppose to be a forum where we talk about bengals and help and support each other, not flame someone for trying their hardest. Jeesh.

This forum DOES help and support people, but not at the expense of peoples egos when they do not accept that they might be wrong, I really hope that Gnexus gets their kitten home safe and doesn't have any problems, but we will still be here to help and support if needed. Gnexus has not been "flamed" for trying their hardest but for not listening to good advice and not having the kittens welfare as their no.1 concern.

Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:32 pm 
Senior Bengal

Paiviaso wrote:
stevies did you join the forum just to yell at everyone? Welcome :scratch_one-s_head:

This is forum where people really love cats. Gnexus1 wants to put a kitten through quite an intense amount of travel, largely unsupervised, within 24 hours of leaving it's breeder - there will be varying opinions on this! If Gnexus1 just wanted people to agree with them, then I suppose they should have stuck to chatting about it with their RL friends who seem to think the plan is brilliant.
stevies wrote:
I own a bengal and he was fearless. All the bengal's I've had the pleasure of meeting were fearless. They are part WILD ANIMAL, they are not the docile little fragile creatures you're making them out to be.
Funny, all the wild animals I come across run away at the sight of humans, I didn't realize they were meant to be fearless! At any rate, my cats are certainly not fearless, as demonstrated by the fact that when I brought them home they hid behind the wardrobe for two days and then peed all over my house because they were so stressed! And that was after a 1.5h car ride....

lol I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself anymore. I just had to reply. I'm not sure what school you did your math, or the grade you got but it's seems you didn't do very well in this area. I said it's a 19 hour trip. However! only 7 hours of this trip will she be alone, so how this results in "largely alone" is beyond me. Let me break it down it again for those who don't know how to read. 36% of the trip alone is largely alone is it ?

* Pick up the kitten around 7pm ish I'm guessing
* Bring her home to my mom's overnight
* Then at around 5am we leave to go catch the first train. (She will be on my lap for this part)
* Around 07:53 AM we arrive in Toronto and have about 30 minutes together
* After that, I have to check her in and she goes into the luggage car.
* 13:58 PM we arrive in Ottawa, and I get my kitty and we go home.

When I left to go See my dad's for a week, my cat was mostly alone. I made sure she had enough water and food, and I even made sure my roommates checked up on her to make she was ok. Was she ok ? Of course! Did she miss me ? Oh you bet! I came home and as I'm coming down the stairs, she has this look on her face as if to say "Daddy? is that you?" I say "Hi Jewel!" Meow meow meow meow meow. She was my shadow for the rest of the night and slept with on my bed the entire night. Suppose you guys would say this could have "long term effects" to the cat as well eh ?

EDIT: If I need advice later on, this will be the last place I ask for it. You guys overall are very argumentative, no matter what I say or anyone who actually agrees with me says, we are wrong and everyone is right. This seems to be the trend. You know at first I was getting pissed off, but now I simply find this amusing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gnexus01 wrote:
When I left to go See my dad's for a week, my cat was mostly alone. I made sure she had enough water and food, and I even made sure my roommates checked up on her to make she was ok. Was she ok ? Of course! Did she miss me ? Oh you bet! I came home and as I'm coming down the stairs, she has this look on her face as if to say "Daddy? is that you?" I say "Hi Jewel!" Meow meow meow meow meow. She was my shadow for the rest of the night and slept with on my bed the entire night. Suppose you guys would say this could have "long term effects" to the cat as well eh ?

Totally different situation as I am sure you are aware, but I will spell it out for you.

Jewel was in familiar surroundings with people checking on her and I assume she was not a young kitten at the time.

Your new kitten removed from all that she knows and put into noisy unfamiliar surroundings with strangers.

You can keep trying to justify it all you like but your kitten is the one that has to endure the journey, not you.

Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

Tigertail wrote:
Gnexus01 wrote:

Totally different situation as I am sure you are aware, but I will spell it out for you.

Jewel was in familiar surroundings with people checking on her and I assume she was not a young kitten at the time.

Your new kitten removed from all that she knows and put into noisy unfamiliar surroundings with strangers.

You can keep trying to justify it all you like but your kitten is the one that has to endure the journey, not you.

Heather

C'est la Vie, she will manage and will be ok. I'm going make her a little cave like burrow with blankets and such.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

What is the difference between a kitten being in a carrier on the luggage car and a kitten in a carrier in the hold of an airplane?

Three or four hours

Is it really that terrible. The train might actually be a bit better as he (sorry for my previous assumption that you were female, I guess the avatar threw me off) can go visit from time to time, you can't do that if the cat's in the hold of the plane.

We're talking about five hours in a kittens life.

I don't mind the posts that were disagreeing and offering other suggestions but one post was just incredibly mean and poking fun about what posts might be made in the future. If something like that happened in a childrens school these days it would be a bullying issue and many schools have zero tolerance these days.

Quote:
I'm sorry you are leaving. You are no doubt depriving us of countless amusing stories about the search for a cheaper cat food than Meow Mix, whether or not a cat can be raised on carrots, or questions about where to buy expired medicine.

Is it any wonder that Gnexus01 now becomes a bit defensive?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:57 pm 
The Boss

snow wrote:
What is the difference between a kitten being in a carrier on the luggage car and a kitten in a carrier in the hold of an airplane?

None, I also don't see the difference. Just my opinion.

snow wrote:
I don't mind the posts that were disagreeing and offering other suggestions but one post was just incredibly mean and poking fun about what posts might be made in the future. If something like that happened in a childrens school these days it would be a bullying issue and many schools have zero tolerance these days.

Quote:

Is it any wonder that Gnexus01 now becomes a bit defensive?

Please make use of the 'Report post' facility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Tigertail wrote:
My, you are easily annoyed then! It seems very strange to me that you suddenly appear and spout off at everyone who has offered advice EXCEPT Gnexus (who you seem to know a lot about!) and the only other person who didn't disagree that transporting a young kitten on its own in a luggage car is OK.

Honestly, I was linked to this by Gnexus. He was telling me how people on a forum were giving him crap for his choice in transportation and I told him to give me the link. I wasn't expecting to see people act this way to someone who honestly just wanted some opinions on how to make the kitten, who is adorable by the way, as comfortable as he can. I am all about keeping kittens happy and safe. If he were doing something I thought was wrong I would tell him that. After all he got the idea to get a Bengal from me, because he saw how beautiful mine is.

Tigertail wrote:
I don't see anyone here "looking down" on Gnexus for trying to find a good breeder that is cheap but all they do in every post they have done is comment on money!
Money should be secondary to the kittens welfare and if they can't afford to do it right then don't do it!

He isn't doing anything wrong here. He's spending the first 12 hours with the kitten to let it get to know him a bit before putting her on the train where he will visit her. They comment on money because people have been telling him to FLY the cat there which is too much for him to spend.

Tigertail wrote:
...and exactly how many Bengals that have been sent by train at a young age have you had the pleasure of meeting? A six plus hour train journey isolated in a luggage car WILL be stressful which could easily lead to later problems. They are NOT wild animals and are certainly not "docile or fragile" which I have seen nobody on here describe their cats as, so I don't know what you are on about here?

I know none, but the question is do any of YOU know any Bengals that have been sent by train? I feel like flying a kitten might actually be more stressful to them than a train would. Seeing as at takeoff you get that whole stomach dropping feeling and such.

Tigertail wrote:
The OP asked for advice and that is what they got, whether they like it or not is another matter. If they care as much as you reckon they should find an alternative.As you seem to think you are the fount of all Bengal knowlege perhaps you could enlighten all us "pompous pricks" as to how you would sort the transport out for the kittens benefit?

Yes the OP asked for advice but there weren't many that actually gave it in a kind calm manner. There are plenty of ways I can think of that the rude posts on here could have been kind, those people just chose to be rude.

Tigertail wrote:
.....at least there is one part of your post I can agree with.

Oh I am so very delighted! Shall we be best friends now?

Tigertail wrote:
This forum DOES help and support people, but not at the expense of peoples egos when they do not accept that they might be wrong, I really hope that Gnexus gets their kitten home safe and doesn't have any problems, but we will still be here to help and support if needed. Gnexus has not been "flamed" for trying their hardest but for not listening to good advice and not having the kittens welfare as their no.1 concern.

No, some of you would be here to support if needed the others would be here to rub it in his face and make him feel like crap and look down on him like they already have. Don't bother denying it. He read this supposed good advice and didn't agree with it, I don't blame him because of the way people were treating him and the fact that in either case the cat is in an enclosed noisy foreign area for hours. If I had my way I'd rent him a car, get someone to drive him to the breeders house, and drive him back so he can have that time to bond with the kitten because I know he'd much rather do that than have her in a separate train car than him. In closing, I'm never going to come here for advice on my Bengal because of the way Gnexus was treated I just wanted to support a friend and I wanted to thank Snow for supporting him as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm 
Senior Bengal

Here is a thought, instead of patronizing me why don't don't you offer suggestions on how to make the short train ride less stressful.

How about something like this ?

http://www.petnaturals.com/vitamins_sup ... s-cats.php

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:04 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I tried to be polite but also expressed my concerns.

For me, as a breeder, i would simply not allow it and lose the sale.

It is too much in a young kitten, to put them through that. I would not ship my kittens out on long haul flights, nor any flights where they have to go in the hold. I understand that others do that but i am not comfortable in such small and young kittens.

The OP claimed that you cannot carry pets as hand luggage on planes in Canada but Air Canada allows it as i posted a link. This was not commented on by the OP.

The whole journey in total is VERY long. The stretch in the luggage carriage is also very long and does make me sad for the kitten. What provisions have you got for your kitten to toilet and also eat/drink on this long journey? It will be a very stressful time for such a young kitten at a time when they are at their most stressed in their young life. I commented before that stress can trigger problems this is so very true and can be a major issue. This can mean there are implications in the long term. You might be lucky though.

It is very nice for your friend to come on here to back you up. Interesting that they have a bengal and yet know so little about them. They are not fearless as kittens especially when they left the only home they have ever known less than 24hours before. They are not really 'part wild animal' unless they are an early generation kitten. Passed 4 generations and the wild animal part is teeny weeny. That said. This journey would damage an EG more, i fear, as they bond closely with their owner and so would find the whole scenario terrifying. And that is a bengal that has far more wild blood in it. I wonder what generation these bengals that your friend has met???? I breed and i would not allow any of my kittens to leave in this way. Some breeders may care more about the money than the kitten and that is a real shame. If it were me, i would try to think of ways in which i could help. I have given potential buyers other breeders names i would recommend who are closer to them in the past. I also met one halfway as they could not travel all the way to collect their boy due to family problems at the time. I realise that the distance is greater in this situation but i would like to think i could be a bit more helpful.

You are also buying 'sight unseen' all be it for photographs. This is a risk that many people take, nothing that wrong with it (although i would not do it as, after hearing and seeing horror stories, i would want to check things out for myself). You don't really know how well socialised your kitten is. Unfortunately, some breeders do not put in the required time and effort to socialise the kittens they breed, so you are starting off at a disadvantage from the beginning.

You, despite spending a few hours with your kitten before the train journey, will still be a stranger to her. She may be scared of everything including you. She made be scared of everything and is happy that a stranger gives her some attention. I doubt for 1 second that she will not be scared - she will be scared for the whole journey (all 19+hours of it). That breaks my heart - honestly.

I think 7 hours IS a large amount of time considering that the whole journey is lasting at least 19 hours. The plane journey would have been a shorter journey in total and the kitten would be in the hold for less time than in a NOISY train carriage. Trains are very very noisy. [quote=Gnexus01]That saved me almost $200. Win for me[/quote]I fear that you chose a cheaper option instead of thinking of your kitten :fool: :clapping:

I really do hope your kitten copes with the journey. I would never wish any harm or upset on our furry friends. I just could never do that to a kitten. Your kitten may be fine but it will be in spite of it's first 24 hours with you.

I am sorry if this offends. I don't care so much about your feelings, i care about the cats/kittens. I feel you could have done things far better. Your first post on this thread suggested that someone had advised you to try the train option but i noticed that nobody on here had said that to you. We are all experienced cat owners as well as experienced bengal owners. There are owners and breeders here. Yet you chose to book the train option before asking advice here. The only person that has posted in your support is another person who has a similar problem (but seems to have put a lot more thought into it than you)... oh and your friend that joined in order to support you (or yourself under a different name :wink: ).

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next