It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I volunteer at a Wolf Sanctuary, and a few of you requested to see some pictures of some of the wolves.
I haven't got many good images because all I bring with me is my phone but here's a few...
(PS. Wolves are thieves and LOVE to steal your stuff. So you gotta be very careful about everything you bring ;)... because once they've got it you're not getting it back )

Me giving Dancer her belly rubs

one of the other volunteers getting Kisses.

And here's a picture of the bobcat that lives at the sanctuary...
His name is Bob Leo, and he's actually a really big people person. I pet him whenever I get a chance :lol: . His "roommmate" that lives with him in his enclosure is actually "the roughest toughest" cat that they could find at the local shelter in town and they love each other :lol: . The bobcat originally came from someones home and lived with other domestic cats, and when arriving at the sanctuary he went through a depression, when they brought another cat in his enclosure his spirits were lifted so dramatically he's such a happy guy.

I had to post a picture of my favorite boy- Cimarron

Oh, and she's got a Bengal who thinks he runs the sanctuary too. His name is Tommy, :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Those pictures are gorgeous. You have my dream job! For my 40th birthday my husband bought me a day as a Zoo keeper with the monkeys, elephants, meerkats and birds of prey. Excellent present - loved every moment of it. Keep posting the photos please.

Julie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

amazing photos.
I love Leo Bob - he is beautiful. Cimarron is rather lovely too.
I'm in awe that your able to get so close to the wolves!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

AMAZING PHOTOS!!!!! who knew wolves could be soo sweet!! :D love the bob cat pic also! thats wonderful you get to voulnteer some where like that :D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Such gorgeous animals, I bet you love what you do! :)

Owned by:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Julie wrote:
Those pictures are gorgeous. You have my dream job! For my 40th birthday my husband bought me a day as a Zoo keeper with the monkeys, elephants, meerkats and birds of prey. Excellent present - loved every moment of it. Keep posting the photos please.

Julie

Julie- Your birthday present sounds sooo perfect! I never knew you could do that! I bet the experience with birds of prey was phenomenal, I love bald eagles especially- they are so fascinating and beautiful. That would be the perfect birthday present for me as well. I will definitely post some more pictures down the road, after I'm able to get a couple good photos. :lol:

BeckyN wrote:
amazing photos.
I love Leo Bob - he is beautiful. Cimarron is rather lovely too.
I'm in awe that your able to get so close to the wolves!

I love them both as well. Both of them have very remarkable stories. I was told Bob Leo picked out his own name. ;) :lol:
And yes I was surprised when I first started there too about how close some of the wolves would come to me- but its such an amazing experience. Once they learn to trust you, it's like you're part of "their pack" :lol:
Every wolf is different though, some wolves love everyone, while others pick and choose which of us they will allow into their "home". While some may not allow you at all. Wolves are naturally shy animals, and would rather hide from you than confront you, until they learn that you are safe.
It's interesting to watch the Alpha's and the Omega's form in the pack as well, even in a sanctuary. :D

SAFARI MOM wrote:
AMAZING PHOTOS!!!!! who knew wolves could be soo sweet!! :D love the bob cat pic also! thats wonderful you get to voulnteer some where like that :D

:) Yes! I get Kisses from Dancer most. Sometimes, if they recognize the sound of someone's car that they love, they will howl when you pull in. It's that neat!

neoow wrote:
Such gorgeous animals, I bet you love what you do! :)

I do love it! :) and I couldn't agree with you more, they are so gorgeous.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

one of those pictures looks like a wolf dog. do you get wolf crosses in?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Greeneyes wrote:

Yes! Wolf and wolf dogs. Ironically, it seems that some of the wolves are safer to be around than some of the wolf dogs though. There are certain wolf dog homes that I cannot go in at all- even just to clean, and only certain others have enough experience to work with them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Amazing, thanks so much for sharing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

slbencke wrote:
Greeneyes wrote:

Yes! Wolf and wolf dogs. Ironically, it seems that some of the wolves are safer to be around than some of the wolf dogs though. There are certain wolf dog homes that I cannot go in at all- even just to clean, and only certain others have enough experience to work with them.

I suppose with mixing breeds with a wolf, can be dangerous, if you get the wrong domestic line :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

For the first time the government where I live has authorized a Wolf hunt. Wolves used to be protected until recently they started to attack farm animals and family pets and have become over populated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I believe culling is something that has to be done, to control populations and stop unauthorized killings.

As I understand with wolves, it's not easy to relocate them, as they have a homing instinct to return 'home' and can travel 100's of miles.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

jasper235 wrote:
For the first time the government where I live has authorized a Wolf hunt. Wolves used to be protected until recently they started to attack farm animals and family pets and have become over populated.

That makes me sad. Even though it does seem necessary in your area, it's always sad to know the side of the animal that I know, and imagine a scenario like the one where you are.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It makes me sad too.

From your perspective it must be worse because you have bonded and have seen their soft side as members of the Wolf Family.