It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:19 pm 
Senior Bengal

Got back from Rhodes on the 8th August and had a good holiday. I was though told off by several people for feeding the stray cats. I was upset to see how many cats and kittens were near starving on the Island. Locals would sometimes leave a bucket of water but these cats were drinking from the swimming pool and some were in a terrible state with severed tails etc.. I bought dry food from the local supermarket and left little piles wherever it was safe.

These little cats were considered by some locals as vermin! Although I feel that I have shown a little kindness; I do feel guilty that I didn't stroke the kittens even though they came quite close. (I was afraid that I'd bring something home to infect Gus and Pixie)
Although I don't care about being told off; I'm curious to find out whether others would do the same or could it be justified to walk away?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

They like to let the cats take out the rats etc. Sad fact too, as some islands become like ghost towns in the winter, they tend to kill off the kittens on purpose. Cats in countries like greece are over run by strays, some are ferals, some are just tossed out from homes.

You can't win but least you were kind enough to feed them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

loveofDelilah wrote:
These little cats were considered by some locals as vermin!

Just a cultural difference I suppose. Animals that successfully live in towns and cities alongside humans tend to be seen as vermin. In the UK we think of mice, rats, pigeons, and foxes as being vermin, and it is socially acceptable to kill them. In Canada, where I'm from, it's raccoons, squirrels, and sometimes bears. I'm sure there are places in the world where our other beloved species, dogs, are vermin as well.

We are quite speciesist, and I find it very interesting. Would you have been equally upset if you saw starving rats or foxes?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:44 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

The stray cats are good for the cypriot nature, well as in that they keep the population of the black snake down and centerpeads, spiders and occasionally roaches. But there are that many strays that you get lots living around streets. Problem being is that locals put poison down to kill the strays but a domesticated cat doesn't know the difference and will eat the poisoned food, same goes for dogs. I just don't think Cypriots have animal attachments like we do in the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Part of the problem is that in some areas, feral cats are a legitimate problem that are ruining entire ecosystems... They are an exotic species, and large feral colonies can do as much damage as a large introduction of any other foreign animal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Greeneyes wrote:
black snake down and centerpeads, spiders and occasionally roaches.

Since when are any of these problem species?
Roaches suck to have in your house (although I do breed 3 species) but are far more important to the ecosystem that feral cats. Take away all the spiders, snakes and centipedes and see ho happy life is. You only want to conserve what's cute and cuddly but obviously have no understanding of the food chain and how an ecosystem work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
Greeneyes wrote:
black snake down and centerpeads, spiders and occasionally roaches.

Since when are any of these problem species?
Roaches suck to have in your house (although I do breed 3 species) but are far more important to the ecosystem that feral cats. Take away all the spiders, snakes and centipedes and see ho happy life is. You only want to conserve what's cute and cuddly but obviously have no understanding of the food chain and how an ecosystem work.

They are venomess (sp) and over run populated areas, they cats help keep numbers down, just like farm cats do to mice and rats. If you've ever lived in cyprus, you would understand that this is a very good thing :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Greeneyes wrote:
They are venomess (sp) and over run populated areas, they cats help keep numbers down, just like farm cats do to mice and rats. If you've ever lived in cyprus, you would understand that this is a very good thing :wink:

So because something is venomous it deserves to die? I doubt those areas are overrun by any of those animal but overrun by people invading there homes. I'm familiar with all of those type of animals, can you be specific on the species of spider or centipede that's venom is an issues. I've had the deadliest species of centipede for a pet (Mr. Cuddles) and he did not come from Greece. Most spiders venom does not cause a systematic reaction and rarely life threatening I can name most if not all of the dangerous species.

PS I'm scared to death of spiders but I still won't kill them.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kind of off topic but our tarantula shed for the first time yesterday /cheer It was very cool, although frightened the life out of me when I came home and she was on her back with her legs in the air!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:
Greeneyes wrote:

So because something is venomous it deserves to die? I doubt those areas are overrun by any of those animal but overrun by people invading there homes. I'm familiar with all of those type of animals, can you be specific on the species of spider or centipede that's venom is an issues. I've had the deadliest species of centipede for a pet (Mr. Cuddles) and he did not come from Greece. Most spiders venom does not cause a systematic reaction and rarely life threatening I can name most if not all of the dangerous species.

PS I'm scared to death of spiders but I still won't kill them.

Would you kill the spiders if they posed a threat to your life and that of your loved ones?

I ask because a Bengal breeder in the US has just lost a pregnant queen (due in 1-2 weeks) and has a male cat seriously ill after being bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider. The cats were seriously ill in the ER vets for days and slowly got well enough to be allowed home only to ? be bitten again as more Brown Recluse spider/s were found in the house even after it was sprayed. They suffered severe neurological problems and suffered horribly in their last days here.

I would not think twice about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

7Deadly$ins wrote:
Part of the problem is that in some areas, feral cats are a legitimate problem that are ruining entire ecosystems... They are an exotic species, and large feral colonies can do as much damage as a large introduction of any other foreign animal.

Cats have lived in the wild in many parts of Europe and the Orient for 100's of years. They are part of the ecosystem in those areas. It is very different than feral cat communities in other areas of the world that have come about in recent times due to abandonment of pets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:
Would you kill the spiders if they posed a threat to your life and that of your loved ones?

In short NO. I wouldn't kill something or someone for being what they are. If Pouncey was cornered by a deadly spider I'd catch it and release it. If Pouncey was being attacked by a coyote and I had a clear shot I'd take it. Because there is no other alternative. If my house was infested with deadly spiders.......well IDK but id certainly try to find out what's attracting them and make it less desirable. In your story I think that would have been a better approach because obviously spraying didn't stop them from coming back in.
lollo2304 wrote:
7Deadly$ins wrote:

Cats have lived in the wild in many parts of Europe and the Orient for 100's of years. They are part of the ecosystem in those areas. It is very different than feral cat communities in other areas of the world that have come about in recent times due to abandonment of pets.

I'm confused 7Deadly$ins stated feral cats we have native cat species here too. That's not the argument.
Are you trying to say those places have had feral cats for 100's of years and there not a problem YET?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Majority of strays in cyprus are feral, be it that maybe 2 or 3 generations down they were domestic but eventually they become feral. The Turkish Van is native to Cyprus and come from there (i think). Anyway, there is a black snake that is dangerous and 3 types on centerpeads that are dangerous. As Cyprus has a poor welfare system, if you are bitten, you need to know the exact species and not many kids know. There is a dangerous spider out there too, along with several scorpions (many of the tiny ones) and a see-through type mini lizard that can cause harm.

All of these creatures are not dangerous to the feral cats and help to control what is about. If it meant having a stray in the area munch on the nasties to save me and my 2 kids being put into A&E due to one of these insects/snakes etc, then I'm all for feral.

There are rescue places that run on their own monies, they are not government run, the gov wants nothing to do with them. Cyprus is an evil country when it comes to animals, they have no worries about putting an animal down, the police are more than happy to unload a gun on say a stray cat or dog. I know of a couple of rescue places that went on a big drive to get strays/Feral cats spayed etc.

Every country is a lot different to our own that we live in, people shouldn't be too quick to judge.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

" type mini lizard that can cause harm" Name It there's only two dangerous lizards and once again not from Greece. I think you are being told tails buy uninformed natives. This happen everywhere in the world they believed here that the "daddy long leg" is deadly in our southern regions most think the "black racer" is venomous its not and coke and pop rocks will make you exploded. The most deadly centipede is from Peru and the odds of death are nill in fact its questioned that its capability of death only the native claim it can kill the only other one's with strong venom are from Asia. I've been doing my research and the only dangerous spider is the black widow something we have here and is rarely fatal and only bits protecting its young or to avoid certain death. No dangerous scorpions or centipedes but they have some big ugly ones. The only dangerous snake is the Blunt-nosed Viper, Macrovipera lebetina its rare avoids humans and in great decline.

I can't see a cat killing a black widow why would it? And the bite could easily kill a cat. Same with the Blunt-nosed viper they stay away and sightings are rare and it could kill a cat too.

The most dangerous animal in Cyprus is the introduced wild dogs the account for the most injuries and death.

So unless you have some facts other than old wives tails I'd say you are completely wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:

On your logic if you lived in Africa and a lion killed your cat. You'd pick up a gun and lead the hunting party to go shoot lions right? It wouldn't matter if you killed the lion that got your cat, just kill as many lions as you can to make sure it never happens again.