It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The Secret World of Fluffy Ratbag (The Tuxedo leopard) you gotta be a cat person though lol.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My latest one is Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes - started a friday tis VERY good so far

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

viperkeeper wrote:

ROTFL.....only a Bengal could speed read!! 8)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

exoticcatlover wrote:
minx wrote:
exoticcatlover wrote:
I found the thread... Hooray for literature :lol:

Well, I have just started reading 'Fahrenheit 451' by Ray Bradbury. After that I have 'The woman in white' by Wilkie Collins. It's apparently what spawned 'The woman in black'.

Has anyone read 'Anna Karenina'??

I wondered how long it would take you to find this thread!!! :D Well you are not entirely correct. Wikie Collins "The Woman in White " did not spawn Susan Hill's "The Woman in Black"...but it does have a bearing. Susan was being clever and playing on words...just as she does alot with other things in that novel, which if you have the time to research add yet another dimension to the storytelling. For example...Chapter 10 "Whistle and I'll Come To You" is adapted from another ghost story, "Oh Whistle and I'll Come To You, My Lad" written by M. R. James. Its quite clever because in M.R. James novel, the whistle brings the spectre to the protagonist whereas in her chapter it is the other way round, the whistle lures the dog (and thereby the protagonist) to the spectre. Its a game of opposites. There are many other references within that book, such as to Hamlet, King Arthurian legends, Dickins "Great Expectations" and more even subtler references. :)

Do you know, Waterstones, the book shop gave me that information on 'The woman in black'. I'm not happy that they have told me wrong information :roll:

I may correct them next time I stop by.

I would! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

RabbitREW wrote:
HUGE Bradbury fan! :)

I agree adding some info about the books would be helpful as we share. While I love books I have to admit I've always been a bit intimidated by book clubs. I get very excited & enjoy talking about the books and hearing what others think but am not very good about proper literary terms or formal analysis. Guess I just wanted to throw that out there to ask for a little forgiveness in advance. ;)

Max makes it hard to get back into my reading routine. He wants to nibble on the corners of rhe book or lay right in front of the page. Anyone else's bengals like to "read with you"?

HUGE misconception about book clubs! Most that I know of consist of just a few friends who meet once a month to discuss a suggested book...most of whom are busy housewives who panic near to the due date...some have read it all, some skim read, others "blag it"...it doesn't matter....what is more important is that it gives something in common to talk about (or not as the case may be). I am only interested in books to a deeper level because I am at university studying English! I have just two weeks to read what I want to read and then I have to wait until next Summer! You just put in what you have to say honey! We can all learn something new every day! :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Parrissnpo wrote:
I'm reading Fireman Sam, The Runaway Santa :wink: I have been reading it every night for the past month even though the little monkey knows it word for word. I normally fall asleep just after reading it so never get to read anything else. I am a book-a-holic too, my OH bought me a kindle so it would take up less space. It sort of worked, but I've lost it in the house move & I still buy loads of books that I never get round to reading :roll:

:lol: :lol: I have a kindle too and I have to say, it comes into its own in the Autumn/Winter months at bedtime - this is because I bought a case for it that has a light on it so I can be ultra lazy...often I fall asleep and after a while it turns itself off...PERFECT!!! Although I have to admit I have been very guilty of buying books in the past that I have to read and then I never do...can't really get away with that now!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:52 pm 
Senior Bengal

sarahnkevin wrote:
I LOVE the Sookie Stackhouse series! The show is ok, I'm not too thrilled with how far they have strayed from the books. The authority stuff seems silly to me. How are you liking the books? I love me some Eric :lol:

Well I loved the series! I decided to read the books after watching. The books are fabulous!! I know what you mean about the straying though, I probably should have read the books first. I do like the way they have still used the different characters in the show.
Just waiting for the new season here in the UK and need to get reading the next few books.
Eric ;) Is it weird my kitty is named after a vampire?! :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

"The Passage" by Justin Cronin. On any other day, you can find me reading just about anything and everything by David Sedaris or Chuck Palahniuk. =)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just finished 1Q84 and I loooved it. It's that kind of book where you love it or hate it I think. It's 800 pages or so but I read it quickly. it's basically a love story but the two protagonists don't meet until the end. The rest is very "Alice in wonderlandesque". It has science fiction elements and also fantasy/fairy tale elements but all in all it's a very contemporary story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I'm not much in the mood for fiction right now, but I am reading "Thinking, Fast and Slow" by Daniel Kahneman. I'm also trying to go back and re-read a book I first read 10 years ago, "Chaos" by James Gleick, but it's a hard slog so far.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

didine70 wrote:
I just finished 1Q84 and I loooved it. It's that kind of book where you love it or hate it I think. It's 800 pages or so but I read it quickly. it's basically a love story but the two protagonists don't meet until the end. The rest is very "Alice in wonderlandesque". It has science fiction elements and also fantasy/fairy tale elements but all in all it's a very contemporary story.

Sounds interesting...I wonder how they managed not to meet for the whole book....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

minx wrote:
didine70 wrote:

Sounds interesting...I wonder how they managed not to meet for the whole book....

Well, they don't remember about each other for the first third and then they look for each other for the rest because they live in parallel worlds. It's kind of twisted, can't explain without revealing the plot ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:50 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm apologising in advance but I can't help myself! :mrgreen: I went to see it today at The Globe on the Embankment in London...."Hamlet" - what a play!

"To be or not to be: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
To sleep; perchance to dream; ay, there's the rub;
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this mortal coil....."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

minx wrote:
I'm apologising in advance but I can't help myself! :mrgreen: I went to see it today at The Globe on the Embankment in London...."Hamlet" - what a play!

Ah, no fair! Seeing a play at The Globe is sort of on my Bucket List. I haven't decided which one, yet. I don't exactly live in London so I sort of have to choose carefully. :3 I'm sure Hamlet was fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

7Deadly$ins wrote:
minx wrote:

Ah, no fair! Seeing a play at The Globe is sort of on my Bucket List. I haven't decided which one, yet. I don't exactly live in London so I sort of have to choose carefully. :3 I'm sure Hamlet was fantastic!

Oh....you have to see Hamlet! Its his longest play so on that basis you'll get your money's worth otherwise it is impossible to choose! Lurve Shakespeare (which is why one of my boys is named after him)....such an evocative playwright, people watcher and founder of much of our language! Pure genius! If you do get to go...get a ticket in the stalls and not the yard. The yard is open to the elements (such as the rain we had today) and you have to stand for 2.5 hours, no umbrellas allowed! For the stalls - get a cushion - the seats are wooden benches and there isn't much legroom (we Brits were a lot smaller back then). The exhibition is worth paying for and allow the whole day...it covers Shakespeare (including his will and first folio) but also alot about Elizabethan London which was extremely interesting. There were also artifacts uncovered from the dig at the site of the original playhouse, costumes, information about the makeup worn at the time (which was rather scarey) and how they carried out their "special effects" such as hangings on stage. I also visited the shop before leaving and purchased one of their "folios" - they have facsimile copies of the "first folio" and have bound each play into an attractive book. Chuffed to bits! :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next