[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - type of knee hight,short hair dog to be good with bengal?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ha! A labrador is the worst idea for an indoor dog. They need A LOT of excercise and are pretty agressive as a puppy. They would also need a litter tray as large as a bathtub (that is if you could litter train them which I doubt!).
A dog, especially a pup, is a lot more work than a cat. Kittens can be litter trained very early because it's natural to them to do their business in sand or whatever and cover it. Puppies however will be peeing around the house for a good few months. And if they don't plan on taking it outside, well, it will require a lot of time and hard work to properly train it. There will be a lot of pee and poo floor washing (and trust me, at 3-4 months that bladder starts holding a lot of pee).
Dogs also have a lot more force in their jaws and are prone to destruction if bored/left alone.
I don't think they fully realize what a dog means and I think this is a really bad idea and see two outcomes: you'll end taking care of the dog because the boys are too lazy to do it or the dog will be rehomed because the boys realize it's too much work for them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I did tell them its a bad idea. their response, "we will make it work" :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:03 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was kidding about the pool :P but 2-3 times a week isn't enough IMHO more like 7-14. I think any dog is more responsibility than you think. I'm not a cat guy but owning one made me love mine. I bet your roommates will love your cat and not have any of the responsibilities so it'll be perfect for them. Wait and see if how the cat goes first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Could you maybe dog sit for a friend for a few days so the boys get to see what it's like hands on?
A dog needs to be walked every day, at least once, even the lazy breeds.
But really, if they are dead set on getting a dog, don't get a puppy. Maybe try rehoming an older one, one that's a bit more laid back and has a good history with cats.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

hopefully if they hold off getting the dog for a month then!. the landlord said yes to having a cat (after a bit of persuading) but the boys have not asked about the dog and they KNOW the landlord will say no. I'm worried if the dog ruins something the landlord will also blame the cat and tell us to get rid of both >:( we have a place to hide the dog (at one of the boys parents house a 5min drive away) and have a weeks notice before inspections so hiding it won't be an issue, but any damage a dog makes would be. but i don't think there would be much damage so long as the dog isn't very destructive, when i lived with my parents we had a dog who would always come inside through the doggy-door and never damaged a thing.

dog sitting isn't a terrible idea but we have had 2 dogs (oldddddd old old maltese shiitzus) stay overnight and they pooed on the floor 3 times! He cleaned it up but i think he assumed they would just be able to hold their bowels or something since it was only an overnight stay but still we would need a puppy to litter train it , wouldn't it be harder to train an older dog who already knows to poop on grass like dogs are SUPPOSED to do

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Puppies cannot completely control their bowels until they are six months old. You WILL have accidents, and it WON'T be the pup's fault.

As for litter training, even for a pup it won't be easy. If you're roommates don't have time to take the dog out, they don't have time for a dog.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ill talk to them tonight about it and explain everything to them and hopefully they will think twice or even better, decide against it.
:(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's just that even conventional house training a puppy isn't an easy task. Even dog people sometimes swear off ever getting a puppy again after doing it once.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I always say my Bengal is the best of both worlds he's very dog like. Your roommates being dog people will only reinforce that behavior. My cat listens better than ANY dog in my neighborhood and is faithful and walks with me without a leash, he plays fetch too. We wrestle and play very physically(careful with that) Not to mention Bengals are alot of work too. Unless you've had one you have no idea what its like. Believe me I thought I was prepared but he turned my world upside down, but in a good way.

This has "Bad Idea" all over it. I walk my Bengal a minimum of an hour a day and I live in the northern US and it gets freezing here but were out multiple times everyday probably 2-3 hours average. A dog is more work than a cat.

The doggie door is why the dog wasn't destructive and I think your landlord knows enough to see a dog is a bad idea and say no. When your roommates separate who would get the dog?

Hope you convenience them. Tell their parents I bet they'll set things straight :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have to say they thought of even thinking about litter training a dogs is a bit crazy!!! They make puppy pads that SMALL dogs will use but not mediu or large dogs! I think these guys are going to bite of a little more than they can chew! Training a dog is hard work , even a pupy!Even a puppy with a lot of attention will be destructive and my concerns are not the fact that the dog will not be walked but what will happen to your cat! If they are not prepared to properly train their dog its going to be an ugly situation! I have breed ,raised ,and trained dogs since I was 16 ,parents allowed me to folow my dreams, and its not a walk in the park!Their is A LOT if disipline with a dog where as a cat most of the time learns essential tools before they even come to you! I hope they at least wait until your kitty comes and is settled! This is running through my mind as a nightmare right not!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is highly true! I have trained dogs for years and one thing that I have always had trouble with is breaking seperation anxiety! Especially in the bulldog breeds which I am assuming a staffie is a Staffordshire bull terrier? Anything with the word terrier attached means extra work!!! While they are beautiful dogs that are a sweet as can be they tend to have that pit bull rep and they can be a very destructive breed even as small puppies! A friend of mine purchased a Great Dane and then about a month later a sbull terrier and the stafforshire was a total nightmare! There was not a door or window facing that was not chewed up! They had hardwoods floors downstairs but up stairs was carpet and it was ruined in about 2 months because he would rip it up with his teeth or peeing and poing on it! I had to end up coming over to teach them how to properly crate train the puppy and I had to get him walking on a leash because he wouldnt for them! There is so so so much work in a dog its really irresponsible to buy a dog without the right intensions for the dog!! He/She will tear thing up if they dont have exercise and your cat will be in the line of fire when inspection comes because all the landlrd knows is that your kitten is the only pet in the house!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would dob them in for having a dog if it meant blaming my cat ha but yeah me and my boyfriend will have a serious talk to them and I think they MIGHT just MIGHT have enough common sense to realize its a Terrible irresponsible naieve idea and decide against it !!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope so it just doesnt sound good especially ALL that you went through and were responsible for you Bengal Babe and got approval I only see it coming back to hurt you! I hope it all works out well for you and Good Luck! If you cant get them to not get a dog at least TRY to get them to wait until your kitty is old enough to put her claws to good use with defending herself!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

THEY GOT A MALTESE
THEY HAVE IT
A MALTESE PUPPY

EVEN AFTER EXPLAINING that the dog being an inside dog will HAVE to poo in a litter tray and teaching it to do that will be hard and dogs won't instinctively cover their poo so the whole house/or (hopefully THEIR ROOM) will stink like dog **** until they clean it

Him: "yeah... we know... we've got scent trainer and training treats.... we've got this. "

if it dosnt work out?
the dog will end up being rehomed?

will scent trainer things even work to potty train a dog..
even so the whole POO STINKING EVERYTHING is an issue.

i am not pleased.

Last edited by ailurophile on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next