[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - type of knee hight,short hair dog to be good with bengal?
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

ok i am officially in love with the puppy it is sooo cute
we bought training pads and scent stuff and the litter box is in their room so

all is good so far :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wish it were that easy. Most times my pup peed on the pads. But he did have a lot of accidents too and at 3 months his bladder could store a lot of wee which is NOT fun to clean.
I do hope the doggy won't end up rehomed :(

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:24 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

we have 2 maltese shitzhus at my parents house and one of them is an inside dog like she never goes outside but only to poop. but yeah they have all these things to help litter train, i hope it works! i hear that maltese's aren't hard to train, a lot of people in small apartments do it. so there is hope! just hope they understand how to train it. they have read up about it on google.
once i saw the puppy i was immediately in love, it is gorgeous! and I'm kind of happy, my kitten will have a friend! :) my kitten is 8 weeks at the moment and so is the puppy, so when i get my kitty in 4 weeks they should be easy to introduce! I'm just happy that my kitten will have somebody else to play with if nobody is home !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's not that it cannot be done, it's that it requires A LOT of work and dedication to do it. I don't know if it's already been asked, but why don't they want to take the dog outside? Is there a good reason or just because they're lazy? Because if they're lazy I suspect they'll get tired very fast because training to a litter box is a lot harder than training to go outside. It doesn't matter how many things they get to help training. It still doesn't exclude the hard work and time that has to be put into this.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

our backyard is an open backyard that connects to a double driveway, so like we couldn't close it off and the pup could easily walk out onto the street footpath onto a moderately busy road. it just isn't a nice place to keep a pet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You take the dog out on a leash and walk it, not leave it in front of the house by itself :lol: Dogs are not like cats, you don't just open the door and leave him out to do his business. That might work with people that have closed gardens, but those that live in a flat or don't have a safe garden do it the old fashioned way: put on the leash and collar and go walk the dog (picking up after it is implied).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It makes me sad when people get dogs they have no intention of exercising.

ailurophile, I feel for you, after all that stress of convincing your landlord about the cat your roommates go and get a pet you aren't allowed to have anyway!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

They will be taking it for walks. Ill take it for walks when i start walking my cat, they can go together. but we can't take it for a walk every time it needs to pee. So far, we have had failed with the puppy training mat and had 2 accidents so far (he has only been here for 3 hours). We place him on the puppy training pad after he wakes up, after he eats, or if he is sniffing around like he does when he is about to pee. i don't think he understands he is meant to pee there, after all the breeder we got him from never toilet trained him so i guess it will take a lot of time and patience...

We have the dog now and I suppose we will just have to do the best we can to make sure its happy and healthy, and hopefully have success with the potty training! because really if that dosnt work out.. i fear for what will happen! but we know its possible! It'll just take time.. i still am disappointed they got a pup but not a lot i can do now! at least my kitty will have a friend :D

Only thing I'm worried about is if the pup can teach my kitten bad behaviours like peeing on the floor if the pup dosnt learn in a month!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Dogs are not toilet trained by the breeder. At 8 weeks they can't hold their bladder. As in, they will pee right when they feel the need. Expect many more accidents. I used to wake up at 6 to clean pee and poo around the house, and also clean the poo off from the dog (well, yes, dog will roll around in their own poo or pee).
He will NOT learn in a month. Until 6 months they don't have much control over their bladder.
I don't think you understand what having a dog means if you say "we can't take it for a walk every time it needs to pee".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Some dogs are trained by the breeder. I have heard of it before. Don't think its common at all though but i know some do.
I don't know much about puppies and toilet training its not MY dog i didn't want it i don't LIKE having it as an indoors dog and theres NOTHING i can do , its here, just have to live with it ! no matter how much you tell me i have no idea (or my housemates have no idea) its not gonna change the fact we have the pup. Obviously they made a horrible naive choice but unfortunately we have to live with it. we don't know what we are doing but they seem very optimistic and hopeful about it all and so yeah tell me as much as you like that we have no idea and getting a dog was not a smart idea I KNOW i agree with you. I know there will be accidents, ALOT of accidents, but best we can do is teach it that it is meant to pee in a certain place.

its my housemates choice! its not my problem! all i can do is assist them at this point. So please, if you aren't willing to give me advice, refrain from telling me how irresponsible the situation is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ailurophile - Bear in mind that YOU acted correctly and talked the landlord round into allowing you your Bengal. You then took responsibility for any damage it may cause - What about damage the puppy will cause (peeing on floors...etc) will they cover that or pretend it was your cat? Your house-mates are going to "drop you in it" with the landlord if you are seen taking THEIR puppy for walks! He will think you have got round him with the cat and are now taking the proverbial!

I would seriously assess the situation and look at covering your back! Perhaps you should advise the landlord, before a neighbour does.... :|

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have no problem with telling the landlord that they are keeping a dog if it comes down to it. I will do it if I have to. Of course I'd rather not, but if anything comes in the way of my kitten well I'll do anything to set things right. Not to mention the other housemate is on my side and agrees the dog is a bad idea. (there's 4 of us living here)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's good - because their behaviour is not your fault, and I would hate to see you losing out after what you went through to do the right thing!
Jo :) x

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So what if your landlord finds out before you get a chance to tell him, and accordingly takes action?

Also, your plan of walking it together with your cat won't really provide much exercise for the dog. Walking a dog and walking a cat are very different things. Walking a dog is primarily for exercise purposes, and the dog will walk in pace with you because this is easily trained and their instinct. Walking a cat is very different. A cat likes to walk off the path over here, smell that grass, lay down for awhile, roll a bit, chase that bug up into that tree, sniff around the tree, walk a little bit, and repeat. They aren't so much interested in walking as they are exploring their environment. I suspect the dog will be very bored.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next