It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Host
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:59 am 
I'm thinking about changing host soon when we get some return on the google adverts. Currently I get this hosting free from a friend, so I can't expect too much from him as it's his generosity. As we've had a few incidents lately whereby the site has been down and I have no way of getting support to get it back up (as it's not my account), it might be best if we look for something else.

So far I've seen these recommended :-

http://www.vidahost.com/shared_hosting.php

The standard package should be within our limits at the moment.

Anyone else have any recommendations? Must obviously be forum friendly, as many hosts don't like forums due to the extra CPU load they generate.

I will probably try and coincide it with an upgrade to phpbb3 too which is out shortly....

Might be best to find somewhere that is charged in US dollars, seeing as the exchange rate is so good at the moment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:35 pm 
Senior Bengal

What sort of bandwidth gets used per month? I've found american hosts to be great value for money due to the exchamge rate 8) I currently use http://www.omnis.com/webhosting_unix.php on the $6.95 package and they're fine to host forums with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of the clubs I'm in and one big forum that I know of are using A Small Orange. They're US-based though, located in Atlanta, GA. Their shared hosting accounts start at $25 per year. The next larger packages are $5 or $10 per month, respectively. For sites that get really big and a lot of traffic, they also offer virtual private servers starting at $50 per month. I found their support help desk has pretty fast response times (based on my personal standards and experiences). They also offer donation links for websites, e.g. you put up a donation link on your website and people can donate directly to your hosting costs via Paypal. I thought that was pretty neat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:54 pm 
Fatal wrote:
What sort of bandwidth gets used per month?

Steadily increasing - Sept was 1.3GB, Oct was 1.5GB. Which is a lot considering all user posted images are hosted externally. The DB size is only about 15MB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:08 pm 
Senior Bengal

The package I'm using will give you up to 250gb per month of data transfer which should be more than enough then :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:26 pm 
Time to bump this thread - any more suggestions?

Fatal - have you got a site already hosted with Omnis I can look at? PM me with it if you don't want to publicly post it.... Want to see how much being US hosted affects the speed to the UK...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

a few of us have been discussing this recently, we absolutely love this place & intend to be part of it for some time to come.

it would be great to move forwards & have some additional features & we realise these things cost money.

three of us, for certain, are happy to make a yearly contribution to help things along & i'm sure there are other regulars who would consider putting in, & maybe have some recognition in their profiles as contributors or something.

for now, count us in...

1-ren
2-jim
3-madeline

xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well as soon as I get my new job I'll happily donate.

At the moment I use http://www.stormhosts.com they are great and the support is fantastic I have several sites that I host with them as I have a reseller account. I'd be more than happy to host your site under my reseller package for free if that would help out with the running of the place? I'd have to check and see if they allow phpbb3 as I use SOOP for my forum which is a lot bigger than this one so maybe SOOP might be a good option for you too?

Anyway give me a shout if I can help in any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:28 pm 
Senior Bengal

Gavin wrote:
Time to bump this thread - any more suggestions?

Fatal - have you got a site already hosted with Omnis I can look at? PM me with it if you don't want to publicly post it.... Want to see how much being US hosted affects the speed to the UK...

I did have, but cancelled it as it wasnt needed :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:45 pm 
MoshiandIndianasMum wrote:
I'd be more than happy to host your site under my reseller package for free if that would help out with the running of the place? .

Thanks for the offer, most kind. The account I already have is one provided by my friend from his reseller account. I think I'd prefer to go it alone, so that I've got more control and flexibility and no dependency on anyone else....

I will take a look at that other forum.... phpbb3 is looking promising though, with a straightforward convert from phpbb2, maintaining all the users and data we've collected thus far....

Storm - never mind, the signup page seems snappy enough....

Thanks to those who've said they'd donate. It's probably not necessary since we get a return from the google adverts when people click them and that should cover the hosting costs per year if the current rate is maintained....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No worries, hope it all works out for you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gavin wrote:
Thanks to those who've said they'd donate. It's probably not necessary since we get a return from the google adverts when people click them and that should cover the hosting costs per year if the current rate is maintained....

(click, click)

the offer is there if ever it is needed, don't hesitate to ask.