It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i want a camera to take good shots of my cats for personal pleasure & for my website.

there are so many to choose from i have no idea where to start.

the slr ones seem to be the best for action shots but are so expensive & my budget is minimal, it's probably going to be en ebay job.

i need something which will allow me to take quick spur of the moment pics, as it's so difficult to get kittens to sit still!! i borrowed a digital camera from a friend to take pics of my last litter, but it was so frustrating...every time i saw a good shot, by the time i'd clicked the button the kitten had moved by the time the picture was taken.

what can you guys recommend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:56 pm 
What is your budget?

As you say, most non SLR digital cameras have pretty bad shutter lag - trying to take a pic of a moving cat or child is practically impossible.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If what you're looking for is a good compact point-and-shoot Canon and Fuji make some good ones.
www.ebuyer.com is great for comparing cameras and browsing to see what you like. Their prices are very good too(they'll often have last years model for a greatly reduced price. I use them.

As far as getting good shots of moving kittens, no camera will make it any easier! Sorry to say :wink: You basically have to take 10 photos for every one that turns out. But that's the nice thing about digital...no wasted film! :lol:
The best of the photos I took of my little ones last week were when they were still active but getting tired out, you might like to try that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Its a hard one!! You get what you pay for i have spent well over £600 on two point and shoot cameras over the last three years and it has been a compromise, When we went to Las Vegas i brought a Cannon D400 digital SLR What a difference!! So my advice to you would be wait until you can get what you want.

P&P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

good advice so far thank you.
after several hours trawling through many reviews, descriptions & explanations i have come to realise that what i want would be one of the more expensive ones, typical :roll:

i'm tempted just to buy a cheap compact digital to tide me over while i save for a decent slr for those action shots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

What about a good bridge camera (not as fast as a slr I admit), or a "cheap" SLR ?

I don't know how much you planned to pay but in France, some SLR start at 450€ (which is what I paid 2 years ago for my bridge camera)... like the Pentax K100D, which is my boyfriend's camera, and he's very happy with it.

For a "cheap" SLR, you'll also have Nikon D40 or D50, and for Canon I think it would be the Eos 400D. You also have the Samsung 100 something which is the same as the Pentax K100D.

Or you can look at the Panasonic bridges (lumix FZ4, 5, 7 and now it's 18 I think, don't ask me why :lol: for the cheaper ones, and FZ50 and so on for the "good" ones ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It depends a lot on what type of picture you want to take, what size of camera you want to carry around with you and whether you want to do post processing or not.

I've been looking at compact digital cameras for a while. Not only do I want to take pictures of the kittens, but also I'm going to Ethiopia next month to visit a charity project and want to be able to take pictures of people and places out there. It means I need a decent all round camera which I can easily carry around all day, but I haven't got the time, or expertise, to mess around with different lenses or changing settings every time I want to take a picture. For those reasons, an SLR is out as far as I'm concerned.

So far I've tried the Panasonic TZ3 and the Fujifilm f50fd and neither has suited me. The Panasonic is great for landscapes as it has a wide angle but the shutter lag makes taking pictures of my kittens impossible and I didn't find the colours very good. The Fujifilm is a bit quicker and is very good in low light but I didn't really get on with it, not really sure why but it just didn't suit me.

I'm about to try a Nikon P5100. It also has shutter lag but I'm hoping it will be good enough all round for me to live with that. It has the fixings to add an external flash and lenses if you want to but is still compact in size and weight. The Nikon P50 which is due out any day is rumoured to be one of the best compact point and shoots but I can't wait any longer in case it doesn't come out before I go to Ethiopia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'd like to recommend my own camera. It's a "bridge" style and has alot of manual controls. You can change F/stops, shutter speed and film type without the need to change lenses. It also has an action setting but I prefer to use the manual controls.
I carry it around alot, it's quite light and signifigantly smaller than a DSLR. I think it's a rather good compromise.

This is the Canon S3 IS

and here's an action shot for comparison.

These bunnies were moving around like kittens, but I did manage to freeze the back ends of 2 of these guys by adjusting my shutter speed. The lack of clarity you see in the photo is due to the fact that I had to resort to digital zoom to get up close, and it was dusk. They were 60 metres away! I know this camera well enough now that I'm confident I'll be able to get good action shots of the kitties as it does freeze action at 250th of a second(shutter speed)

again, no matter what camera you use you'll probably have to hake 10 photos for everyone that turns out(even with a DSLR). I also use a tripod when possible to minimise shake from my side of the camera.

EDIT Some better action shots taken with this camera can be found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/loveyourdog/359037189/

and here http://www.flickr.com/cameras/canon/powershot_s3_is/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My camera : Panasonic FZ4

Small and light ;)

Some photos taken with it :

Those cutties were not too near but with a x12 zoom you can get some great pictures ;).

Still with the same camera... ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Try

http://www.dpreview.com/

They do all the common camera models and review them to death.

If you have a limited budget, find something that has good reviews on DPR especially some of the older models and you can probably pick it up cheap either at the normal retailers or perhaps on ebay. The good thing about ebay is they also have cheap lenses if you go for the digital SLR option.

I had a "bridge camera" but I found it impossible to take pics of kittens, anything older than 3 weeks, they were just a blur.

The digital SLR, I have now is fantastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

elsa213 wrote:

I had a "bridge camera" but I found it impossible to take pics of kittens, anything older than 3 weeks, they were just a blur.

If you use shutter speed priority at 1/300th of a second that shouldn't happen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

If it is a manual/non-digital camera, fine, but it is something to do with shutter lag in digital cameras.

It is a common problem. Only digital SLR's can cope.

See
http://www.cameras.co.uk/blog/2007/06/shutter-lag-and-digital-cameras.html

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hobbit wrote:
elsa213 wrote:

If you use shutter speed priority at 1/300th of a second that shouldn't happen.

I agree... you just need to use it correctly ;).

Flash compensation if it's dark (if you can choose the flash intensity as I can even better), 1/60th of a second (without the zoom, with the zoom it must be less) and you get the photos I posted above (cats playing) ;).

I don't say a SLR isn't better than a bridge of course :lol:, but with a bridge you should be able to take some very nice pics (not blurred) already ! You just have to learn a little the way to use it ;) (or use the "sport" mode :lol: ).

You can learn that by going on photography forums such as dpreview, megapixel...

What you mustn't forget is : the more light there is, the less blurred your picture will be.
So : take pictures outside in the sun, put on the light inside or take pics during the day when the sun's coming through the windows, open the diaphragm (not too much either as else you won't have a "motion blurr" but a "out of focus blurr" ;)). Don't zoom too much (out of focus blurr). Put on the flash with a reflector preferably if it's too dark. Work in Tv or S mode with 1/60th of a sec max. Use the exposition compensation if you have it. Don't fiddle too much with the ISO except if your camera manage with high sensibilities well (like Fuji F10, F11... or SLR).

And... open your camera manual :lol:.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

elsa213 wrote:
Hi

If it is a manual/non-digital camera, fine, but it is something to do with shutter lag in digital cameras.

It is a common problem. Only digital SLR's can cope.

See
http://www.cameras.co.uk/blog/2007/06/shutter-lag-and-digital-cameras.html

Elsa

The shutter lag is more that you won't have the kitten in the wanted position as by the time the cam has taken the photo, he will have moved...
But it doesn't mean the picture will be blurred ;) (a bad one perhaps, but not blurred :lol: ).

Like this...

:mrgreen: (I LIKE that pic ;)).

Edit : of course if the focus zone is small and the cat has moved of out it there will be an out of focus blurr... but this has nothing to do with a motion blurr ;) (and I manage to get one with SLR too when using the 100mm macro lense as the focusing area is very small :mrgreen: ).
To overcome this problem, don't use the zoom, and close the diaphragm (this means you'll have to take your pics in a good light with some sunshine).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

:lol: Funny pic!

No matter what camera you get, it'll take practice and no camera can make your cat stay in the frame! :lol: