It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know there are some on here with medical problems so I thought I would ask how you deal with putting food bowls down if you have trouble bending.

My husband has really bad sciatica, dodgy knees and some arthritis. I work shifts so I am not around for a lot of meal times. The last few days he has really been struggling and the worst bit is trying to get the cats food to floor level. We will not resort to feeding on worktops though it would be the ideal solution.

I wondered if there were any pet bowls on the market for disabled pet owners? If ther isn't maybe we should patent something and make our millions :wink:

All I can think of at the moment is adapting a bowl so he can use his long handled grabber. Or maybe some kind of tray with a stick so he could lower it without bending.

Thanks for reading :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

well i must admit on the days when my back and leg were really bad and OH wasn't around, i just used to put the bowls down and then swear very loudly on the way up! sorry not much help - good idea maybe to make your fortune :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

wouldn't really solve the bending down issue, but i know there's some talk about putting food bowls on a stand which are about cat's neck height? it's supposed to be better for them to eat it, can't remember the reasons for it, but that might help somewhat, although the electrical bowl feeder arm might be a good invention :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello

I have problems with my mobilty as well. I have 2 of these. They are really good as well, the bowls are stainless steel and removable to clean... although my 4 get the plastic covered in food as well :roll: :roll:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alessi-Tigrito- ... 698&sr=8-1

Expensive but worth it. I have a black one and a turquoise one. Got black one from Ebay cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Also, feel really bad that i never got back to you about the Zylkene. I have had so much on lately that i simply forgot about it. Really sorry. We have weaned our Max off it now... fingers crossed :roll:

Again, sorry... my head is a mess at the moment!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know you don't want to feed them on your worktops but would it be possible to put a low table/cupbooard/uptuned crate in the area where you currently feed them? It would need to be big enough to have space for the bowls and for the cats to feel comfortable eating but you could probably pick something up pretty cheaply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

lollo2304 wrote:
Also, feel really bad that i never got back to you about the Zylkene. I have had so much on lately that i simply forgot about it. Really sorry. We have weaned our Max off it now... fingers crossed :roll:

Again, sorry... my head is a mess at the moment!

Please don't feel bad, I understand things get hectic at times. I have a thyroid problem and one of my worst symptoms is memory. Yesterday my hubby asked me to pick Max's bowl up for him just as I was putting my shoes on to go to work. I got to work and got a text message from a grumpy husband as I forgot, 2 minutes after being asked :oops: We ended up opening the Zylkene anyway as Max had a few days were he was just uncontrollable which went on into the night. It was a help to Zuki as he was giving her hell.

Thank you all for the ideas, I like the bowl with the handles, maybe I will look on ebay as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Putting their food on a table or windowsill makes it much easier.
I put their bows on a small dinner tray an put it on a table.

You can also try this;

Tobias at the age of 19 got his food in bed.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Breakfast in bed :) At 19 he deserves it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Funnily enough I was considering this scenario not too long ago. The solutions I came up with were a table with holes to sit the bowls into (the bowls would have to have lips to keep them in place) or some kind of motorised tray that works its way down to the ground. Alas, I've not gotten around to 'inventing' them yet but perhaps the first would not be too hard to diy with a small plastic or wooden table? if you're into space saving as much as I am you could even incorporate it into a pull-down shelf that folds flat against the wall when not in use.
I'm sure at some point it would be interesting to chat with people who have this problem and others as its something I've considered looking into further, the general area of helping people care for their pets I mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Some great ideas. Thanks.

I am quite surprised that there isn't something around for this type of problem. When you think of the number of dogs trained to help disabled people. I would have thought someone maybe in a wheelchair could have difficulty putting food down for their dog or other pets.

Last week was one of my husbands "really bad" weeks not his usual "bad" ones. Most of the time he will kneel, get Max to sit, put the bowl down and make a fuss of him so he knows he has behaved well. Then he has to pull himself up using the table and the worktop. Last week he could hardly get down there in the first place. :(

I had a fiddle about with one of the simple plastic bowls. I cut a slot in the side then straightened a wire coat hanger, made a loop and bent the excess into a handle. Works in theory but we haven't tried it on Max yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am honestly surprised that there isn't... the idea for me actually stemmed from the fact that a lot of friends, neighbours and people I meet at the local charity I frequent & work with have health problems, some have pets and others have stated that they would not get pets now even though they would like them. Ideally one day I am interested in starting a charity specifically to help people with problems care for their pets, potentially increasing the amount of homes available to rescue animals... I fear it is a long way off though as I am already quite busy with other charity work :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

just another thought... as you are around some of the time you could try an automatic/electronic pet feeder left down and set to the mealtimes when you won't be there? the ones designed to leave down when you are out. I've not used them but I think they would be ok, and all your husband would have to do is check that they are working ok

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The first thing I would do is putting the food somewhere higher, not necessarily in the kitchen. If you put them on a dinner tray it is easy to clean.

A tray with a stick is an other possibility, easy to make. Just get a reasonable large tray (for stability), drill a hole in the middle and attach a stick to it (a walking stick would be perfect).

It does require some DIY skills to drill a hole in the stick for the screw. If you use a screw with a washer (stronger) it will be necessary to fix small (rubber) feet to the corners of the tray, otherwise it will wobble.

Rob

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am 
Bengal Kitten

On The BBC programme Dragons Den last night there was a woman showing a cat bowl with a long handle, exactly what you need.