It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just wanted to introduce sweet Autumn to the form. She was picked up as a stray - Declawed, not chipped, unfixed and estimated a year old.

Story was she was not going to be placed on the adoption floor, and a rescue pull was her only hope. A rescue wanted to pull her, but had no fosters in the area to pull her from the shelter. Her story made its way to me, and I offered to foster.

I have been calling her Autumn because she reminds me of the colors we see in the changing leaves.

She is a bit shy, and I feel sorry because I don't think she's ever really seen a toy in her life. Since picking her up from the shelter last week, I have spoiled her with all kinds of toys. She doesn't really understand what she should do with all her jingle balls, or her catnip stuffed toys, but we have been showing her what fun a feather wand can be, and she sure is getting the hang of it! She loves her kitty bed, and I sit by her at bedtime and pet her to sleep while she is cuddled up on it.

She often paces the window, I'm not sure if this is a hormonal thing since she is not fixed yet, or if its an anxiety thing. But this weekend was too beautiful for her not to enjoy it, so I took her out on her screened in lanai and let her enjoy it for a little. she paced for nearly 15 minutes, I almost took her back in, but as soon as I thought it might be too much, she finally plopped on the floor and closed her eyes to enjoy the nice cool breeze.

Thought I'd share some of the pictures I've caught of her in beautiful moments. We are trying our very best trying to socialize her and just bring her personality to life. We can't wait to watch her blossom as we continue to foster.

Also- if you have any tips on how to introduce cats, please do. As of right now, all cats are still in the hissing growling through the door phase... but we do hope to eventually have harmony between them so that she can begin to enjoy her days out of her "safe" room.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you so much for fostering this beautiful girl.

Sounds like she has been through so much.

Wonder why she was a stray. I suppose the best you could hope for is that she somehow escaped.

Hate to think that anyone would abandon any cat but to declaw a cat and then abandon it is particularly cruel.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She is beautiful! Bless you for fostering her. Check your other post as I think that's where we've commented on the introductions to your other kitties. Poor baby has been through so much. I can only imagine the stress she is under. I hope she finds an amazing permanent home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

By the way meant to say what a beautiful name you have chosen :)

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a lovely thing to foster Autumn. She is lucky to have you as her foster mum. Hope it goes well x

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:32 pm 
Senior Bengal

Beautiful girl! Thank you for being a foster home, it's so important.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Eggman wrote:
Thank you so much for fostering this beautiful girl.

Sounds like she has been through so much.

Wonder why she was a stray. I suppose the best you could hope for is that she somehow escaped.

Hate to think that anyone would abandon any cat but to declaw a cat and then abandon it is particularly cruel.

You know, I'll never know the real story behind her, but from what I am learning form her, I have my suspicions...

I hate to say it, but I feel that she may have belonged to a BYB, as she is not fixed. I feel that most registered/responsible breeders would microchip their kitties, and would be out looking for them. I also suspect she was kept outside in an enclosure as she seems most familiar with our lanai. Perhaps she was declawed to prevent escaping. But some how, she must have figured out a way.

I could also be completely wrong, you'll never know their real story. I do look around through lost pet ads just to see if anyone is looking for her. But have yet to run into any.

She is starting to really appreciate human socalializing! She is so happy to see us when we get home from work she flops around for belly rubs!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Where are you located? I recall a post on Facebook where a breeder's queen escaped through the door as someone left with a new kitten. I don't know if she has been found, but I think she was in California. This was a while back -- probably not the same cat as the cat was not in a "run."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sherry wrote:
Where are you located? I recall a post on Facebook where a breeder's queen escaped through the door as someone left with a new kitten. I don't know if she has been found, but I think she was in California. This was a while back -- probably not the same cat as the cat was not in a "run."
Sherry wrote:

I am actually located in FL. I feel like it is very possible a situation similar may have happened.She was picked up by domestics animal services.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's beautiful, how do bengals end up in rescue centres, they are such lovely cats, I don't understand it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I see posts on Facebook constantly from bengal rescues looking for fosters or new homes for purebred bengals. There are many instances where an owner becomes ill and has to move into a facility, or they move into a residence that does not allow cats. I hate seeing it, but it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tabitha wrote:
She's beautiful, how do bengals end up in rescue centres, they are such lovely cats, I don't understand it!

Oh I definitely understand it. Just think of how many people have come here after getting a bengal, and essentially confessing that what they actually want is a wild looking lap kitty, and just can't deal with the challenging and boisterous personality that they ended up with. What I don't understand though is how a bengal in a rescue isn't snapped up within 24 hours. That's quite a "jackpot" find, for someone to find one at a rescue. To me it just seems almost inconceivable that a person wanders into a rescue looking for a cat to take home, and passes over the bengal. Even for someone knowing nothing about them, they certainly stand out in a crowd!

Last edited by brianj12 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

slbencke wrote:
Just wanted to introduce sweet Autumn to the form. She was picked up as a stray - Declawed, not chipped, unfixed and estimated a year old.

Oh Christ, declawed, not chipped, and unfixed, and then ultimately abaondoned... it's basically the irresponsible owner trifecta (quadfecta?). It's nice that you are giving her a home. Is she going to get fixed? Or do you have to wait some period for an owner to come forward? Sounds like that creates a pretty big hardship for you.

Also, I'm curious about how "fostering" works. It's sort of a temporary living situation isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Here are two more Bengals in Newbury Cat Protection. They seem to get an awful lot!

Rory and Izzy:

http://www.newbury.cats.org.uk/newbury/adopt-a-cat

Beautiful aren't they?

Debbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are some beauties available in my area too.

http://bengal.rescueme.org/Florida